IBIFTKH

Rob's Wild Willy Police project...(updated)

I seem to have a bit of an addiction but it keeps me out of trouble!

I decided to try making a Willy with lights. Rather than chop up the original grill I thought it would be simpler to make one (and I wouldn't have to buy more parts if it went wrong!).

So here's the progress so far. I went for five slots rather than six because I'm lazy. Oh, and it should be stronger.

Pa180007

Pa180013

I'm planning/hoping to do quite a bit with this one so progress may be slow :)

cheers,
Rob

• Like 2

Nice work - wondered when your next build would appear !

I'd suggest getting a R2hobbies lighting set - it comes with front side lights and headlights, indicators and rear tail/brake lights. Under a tenner delivered !! It also has 4 spare slots in the included control box for extra lighting :D

http://www.r2hobbies.com/ultra-bright-led-indicator-signal-light-system-for-rc-car.html

Thanks mate. I've got a 3Racing light kit sat in my spares box and I'm waiting for bits from R2 and a couple of other places. If things go according to plan this will have quite a few lights :D

Great work on that grill, I'm expecting we'll need our shades on when you show us this one finished.

We need a group shot of all your Willys... :D

I've been offline for a week so it's great to see this! You're on a roll here... and once again making me want to build up another Willy!

Nice styrene work, keep at it!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Cheers Scott, I hope you're equally enthusiastic when it's finished!

SRB Bloke suggested a group shot so here they are -

Jeeps

Pa220002

others

Pa220007

All together

Pa220011

Pa220012

cheers,
Rob

• Like 2

Willy needs a baja ride . FAV Willy ????? or Wild One Willy ????????????

What a great group of cars, and most of them are totally unique! Great that they all have Willy Drivers in them....

Love it!

Cheers,

Skottoman

As well as waffling on here, I have made a little progress...

tail gate ready for lights

Pa230001

some shell hackage, roughed out new floor

Pa230007

fuel can

Pa230009

cheers,
Rob

Yeah, nice work on the fuel can! It always amazes me how people are able to perfectly cut styrene to fit in spaces like that.

I'm not very good at doing that! Looks great man, you continue to inspire me, and tempt me to search Ebay for WW bodies, and start adding kits to my cart at Tower Hobbies! Good thing I still have a spare NIB in the basement, or I would have ordered one already from looking at your last project!!!

Keep it up!

Cheers,

Skottoman

YIPEE!!!!!!

Group shot... a great bunch of Willy's.. just the video montage to complete now :)

This latest one is looking good, I believe every WW petrol can should have a back on it..

Excellent! Another Willy project on the boil, and so far looking really good.

I didn't realise you had so many Willy-based projects, fantastic group shot. If i had to pick a favourite it would be the tank, closely followed by the Clod.

looking forward to seeing your latest creation develop...

Thanks guys.

I've done a little more.The new grill is a little taller than the original so I made new inner wheel arches too. Got the floorpan in and made the rear wheel arch boxes.

Pa270001

Pa270002

Pa270003

Still a long way to go...

cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm really loving these custom rear floor pans you are doing.

What thickness is the plasticard you use? also where do you purchase it from?

Any tips for attempting a custom floor pan like this? and what glue are you using to join it together?

I would really love to achieve something similar for one of my WW shells.

Cheers,

Brenden.

Hi Brenden, thanks for the kind words.

I use 2mm plasticard for structural bits, thinner sheets for details, reinforcements etc. Sometiimes my LHS has it in stock otherwise it's ebay time. I use EMA Plastic Weld glue, it's a solvent and works pretty well. The MAN truck I built has been rolled 20ft down a hill and survived intact :)

Tips? Nothing special, just work slow, measure lots, don't rush. And keep your fingers away from the blade!! Sorry if this sounds flippant, it's not meant to be. If there's anything specific I can help with, just yell.

cheers,

Rob

I know I posted this in Rob's other recent build thread, but its surprising what you can do with plasticard/styrene sheet and a jar of solvent 'glue' - if you have any thoughts about building anything, even if its some accessories, I'd advise anyone to go out and buy a few sheets of styrene, a length of square/rectangular box section and a jar of glue - You'll be surprised how easy it is, and you'll be well impressed with an ability you didn't know you had :D

Full on scratch builds aren't for everyone, but small details like a racing seat for an on-road car, an easy body repair on a hard shell or some simple boxes/crates for a pick-up are pretty much within everyones capability.

i'd second that. I made a spoiler for my 911 GT2 about two weeks ago using nothing more than styrene sheet and some solvent model glue. I was making a fairly complex (for a novice like me) shape with curves on two planes. I measured, re-measured, cut, bent, checked then glued the parts together over the course of a night and i was chuffed with how well it turned out.

A tip for bending is to place the styrene in hot water (i boiled a kettle then let it cool enough for me to touch), bend to shape, then run it under a cold tap to "set" the shape.

Great work so far, and really nice collection! I love watching custom work, especially when it is to my fav model. Cool to see some others taking the time to fill in the fuel cans too. I've done this for years, and really like the subtle diference it makes.

Here's a couple I have in my WW projects box atm:

ww_cans.jpg

and, oh yeah, here is a Baja Willy since you haven't gotten around to that yet :)

ww_baja.jpg

Do you have any more pics of tjat desert tan clod willy? Looks killer!

Keep up the great work!