Sign in to follow this  
Daves956

winter blizzard projects

I had intended to make the tank leftovers into a blizzard wanna be but looking on Craigslist this morning changed my mind. This "needs work" blizzard showed up for the third time with an even lower price. It was listed at 80 and immediately lowered to 60 when I called. When I went to get it he threw in an older nitro chassis blizzard for free. It needs a few things but most of it I already have. After looking them both over I'd have gladly paid more for either one. The nitro will get converted to electric and the drive system is just too cool. There will be more to follow but here is what I got.

IMG_1460.jpg

First thing is to remove the MScs and servos. I'll be putting in the twin ESCs and batteries to be run on a 4 channel stick transmitter. Left stick for left track and right for right. I'll need to make the top cover for the box and solder in motor leads. The body posts are missing too but I think I can handle that.

Can I put 540 motors in this?

IMG_1462.jpg

This thing is too much fun. It drives like my crawler but has spin and turning like a tank. I put in a 3 channel reciever and used channels 2 and 3 for both sticks up and down, left and right tracks. I had to get out the radio manual to check what was what and finally read the V tail explaination. It looks like if I use channels 2 and 4 the left stick will be steering and the right forward and reverse. I can use this for a tank but it won't work in my crawler, that is if I read it right. I'll need a different reciever but the LHS has one. I just tossed all the electronics in to test it but at least I know it works. I found the styrene for the box lid and a matched pair of 540s but I'll need some mounting plates for the motors. I'm not sure but it looks like they'll fit. This is it's current condition.

IMG_1464.jpg

Had NIB nitro version few years back, but evenually sold it as NIB :(. Was intended to let my son run it in winter after a nice snow fall, but he was never interested in RC after his brief run with the XC. I think it would be great fun running the blizzard in the snow or even loose sand. The only concern I have is the drive chain which doesn't look that durable. Mind you my concern is not based on any actual field run so could be incorrect. I think Kyosho still produce the Blizzard and who knows if the situation is right I will buy it.

Had NIB nitro version few years back, but evenually sold it as NIB :(. Was intended to let my son run it in winter after a nice snow fall, but he was never interested in RC after his brief run with the XC. I think it would be great fun running the blizzard in the snow or even loose sand. The only concern I have is the drive chain which doesn't look that durable. Mind you my concern is not based on any actual field run so could be incorrect. I think Kyosho still produce the Blizzard and who knows if the situation is right I will buy it.

There's a LHS here with a NIB electric one on thier shelf. I debated it but didn't want to spend that much on a seasonal car. I looked at Kyoshos web site and parts are available for it. I don't know all the history on the nitro chassis but the tracks are gone and the chains are still there so it makes me think the tracks are weaker than the chain. The electric one has no chains just 2 motors and gearbox. I originally intended to swap the electric to larger motors but it does fine as is plus it uses the same motors as my tanks and I've got a bunch of spares already.

The electric one is setup well for waterproof running but I intend to take that a bit further just to be sure. I'm already thinking about an articulated snow plow blade for the nitro one or possibly a working snow blower for it.

It's kind of ironic, it was seeing this one on Craigslist that got me into the tanks. When the ad went away I figured it was sold and I'd planned to sort of make one. It's first listing price was 150 and now it looks like I'll have 2 in running order for around 200 since most of the electronics are surplus items I already have. It kinda speaks of local prices too.

I picked up another reciever so I could try the V tail mixing functions. It's perfect for mixing left right and forward plus you can trim out the 2 ESCs for straight forward and reverse. This was designed for aircraft and it does mix in reverse, however it's like flying a plane in reverse gear or basicly reversed what you'd expect from a car and more like driving a forklift. That being said, I like it and won't be changing it.

In a strange turn of events, reading this thread has made me wonder just how much a TYCO Fast Traxx would cost lol.

In a strange turn of events, reading this thread has made me wonder just how much a TYCO Fast Traxx would cost lol.

The tracked vehicles are really a lot of fun. I'd say up there with the crawlers in a world all there own. But timing is kinda funny, I'm in tracked vehicle overload with 1.3 pounds of new panzer lacking a reason now that I have the blizzard. It's pretty much a kit now and parts are dirt cheap for it. All it needs is an address and a box. :D

As for the blizzard, it has rubber tire idler wheels and they're all completely shot. The ones from the nitro won't cross over to it either, so that's an issue, It will float for 10 minutes before the rear axles leak in enough water to be a problem. It has bushings there of an odd size and I'll be looking into a better idea. The gearbox in it is 2 speed depending on where you put a set screw which is kinda nice. I'm looking at this for serious winter duty and my idea is to approach it like it's a paddle wheel boat. No leaks anywhere and completely at home in the water.

How about using o rings and collars dave to seal the rear axels ?

How about using o rings and collars dave to seal the rear axels ?

I was thinking O ring too, I'm not sure I have a collar that big but maybe a piece of tubing to hold it in place.

956 just realized you are in Denver. The blizzard was made for where you are. Running her in fresh powder in the morning, just like the real cat and go skiing or boarding in the afternoon. The print on the snow from her tracks is art itself. Let see any 4WD or tank float over 6 inches of fluff. And winter just begun. :)

956 just realized you are in Denver. The blizzard was made for where you are. Running her in fresh powder in the morning, just like the real cat and go skiing or boarding in the afternoon. The print on the snow from her tracks is art itself. Let see any 4WD or tank float over 6 inches of fluff. And winter just begun. :)

I'm thinking the same thing, although my daughter says it reminds her of the movie "The Shining". filmed here in Colorado.

I have some bald 18b tires and wheels that might work for idlers. They serve no purpose so I'll try to fit them.

The rear bushing is 6mm ID 12 mm OD and 8.5 deep. I found 6x12x4 sealed bearings and I'm going to try an O ring between them since they fit into a hard fit housing. It might work

The O ring between the bearings wouldn't fit, it made it too wide. I tried it without it and with the tighter fitting bearings it's now water tight to the hull line. I also put in twin 540 motors while it was apart. To make it neutrally bouyant the batteries have to be all the way forward, otherwise the stern went under and it would take on water. With both tracks completely submerged it will float neutral indefinately now. I'm going to make a box to seal up the ESCs and reciever and make a plate to keep the batteries up and forward.

I don't think it can propel itself in water with the tracks underwater but once I'm satisfied it's sea worthy I'll try it. It would really be an all around RC if it could.

Dave, I'm enjoying this thread and your tank adventures.

This made me smile.

It's kind of ironic, it was seeing this one on Craigslist that got me into the tanks.

I ended up turning my Blizzard into a tank (well an M113). Be careful where this take you...!!

cheers,

Rob

I put the batteries up front and screwed the crossbar down to hold them in place. I cut holes in the clear plastic box for the battery and ESC wires. I mounted 2 90 degree brackets borrowed from the Erector pieces to the inside tub for box brackets. I routed all the wires and siliconed what remained of the holes.

I used 4 super magnets instead of body posts since holes in the body seemed dumb. 2 at the front bumper and 2 in the bed with steel across the front nose and 2 bolts in back on the tub side for the magnets.

I glued covers in place for the antenna and on off switch in the body plus adding a super jumbo LED in the top hole of the cab. This LED will be in combination with a flashing LED for a strobe light on top.

Yesteday I managed to fit the 18B wheels and tires using bushings to get the offset right. I also cleaned and clear coated the body.

This project got a bit of a push forward since a trip for work across the continental divide was cancelled due to a forcast for rain turning to snow this evening and most of tomorrow. Here is what I had in mind for it. The top of the clear ESC box is in line with the bed so the body has to be off to open it and you have to really want it off to overcome the 4 magnets.

IMG_1469.jpgIMG_1470.jpg I'm listening to it rain while I type and hoping the temperature drops. :D

This really doesn't need to be explained. :D

IMG_1471.jpg Not a drop of water on the inside. :D Ya, the red strobe light works too. it needs headlights though.

IMG_1472.jpg

• Like 1

Time for the good and the bad I guess. I got lucky that the 18b wheels and tires could replace the shot idlers on the electric one. It has metal swing arms and figured that was a good thing. It could be if Kyosho didn't change the design or if 2 weren't missing. It's not a show stopper but it needs to be fixed. I haven't found so much as a picture of one on line. They also changed the spring for them from one like on an SRB front end to a torsional type. The two types don't mix at all either. Another point is that the 18b tires have a taller side wall and don't work for the end idler that holds track tension. The only way to spot the different chassis at a glance is that the old one has 5 idles and drive sprocket per side and the new only has 4 idlers.

I swapped the end idler from the nitro chassis and I can order replacements for that one. I'll fire up the mill and make a pair of swing arms for it and have a look at the LHS for springs or just order some for a super champ.

It's not a lost cause but I understand now why the previous owner was stuck and passed it along.

Ok,so who drew the naughty pic in the snow? :D:lol::P

That looks like a lot of fun there Dave :)

It is fun especially knowing it has no problem with water. It's funny that while the snow melted some today it just made the picture stand out in the snow even more

I milled out a pair of swing arms and made custom springs for them today. The idle wheel issues are hopefully solved and I put on a pair of headlights since the snow usually falls after dark.

IMG_1476.jpg Oh my, when it's just covered in snow you can do a spin dry on a clear spot of ground. . With the V tail mixing hard left or right puts it in full forward on one side and reverse on the other. Talk about leaving a funny track. :D

I'm wondering what to do with the nitro chassis now. The electric runs great and they don't really have much in common as parts go. I could convert it to electric and put the Kyosho parts into it and make it run but I'm wondering why do it? The running gear is cool and I'd only be spending something like 200 to make it nice but do I really want 2 of these? I need another tank like I need a hole in my head and the same goes for another project down the road. If anybody has an idea what to do with it that might be interesting please share it. It's too wide for a bulldozer and not stable enough for a crane. I'm not crazy enough to do a mobile ICBM launcher and as part of a half track it would be huge but the diff would be handy for that. It seems a shame to cut it up for something strange but I don't have any money in it so I suppose I could think about 2 snowmobiles perhaps but most likely not. Any ideas?

As usual the hand of fate steps in and makes the decision for me. I had another winter runner die today and it made me do some looking. The truck looking snow cat wasn't the only kit that used this chassis. ***** has the other body on Ebay for a reasonable price. I think I'll break a copyright and do the graphics to match the model name. I'll do an electric heavy metal van with a heavy metal motif.

The other one will get this body that's on order.

heavymetalbody.jpg With this graphic on the sides and a "Louder and nastier than ever" motif.

heavy-metal-poster.jpg

I've been stalling on the other one because I didn't have much hope in pulling off the graphics. I've got some small details left to do and the chassis is coming together. This picture doesn't come close to doing it justice. It's a light gunmetal pearl and metalic blue. The pearl and flash play with each other. I'm thinking metalic blue idler wheels

IMG_1503.jpg

This is the direction I drcided on for this. I'm going to make a lower plate and a few mounts then decide why I might want both of these.

IMG_1504.jpg

I quite like that Dave . Should make a good winter runner .