teddyt

Kyosho turbo burns is it worth restoring

Hi Sayer,

I like the video! That burns seems to be in fantastic condition and sounds like it is running well!! Could you tell me which pinion gear you're using? And are you using the plastic BS-11 or steel BSW-19 main gear? Your car sounds much more quiet than mine.

I was also originally going for HPI guts as I saw them being used by someone else for USA-1 conversions, but when I saw the simple universal mount from Kershaw I decided to get their basic battery tray as well which I cut to size to achieve more of a "factory" look. I went for the Team Orion electronics for the same reason but they are rather expensive...

I made two holes for the motor mount, the battery tray is mounted using two of the existing holes originally used for the inside engine mount to make as few modifications to the car as possible. I used the stock mounting position for the switch as well. :)

I would recommend covering the bottom half of your car with a sheet of plastic (as well as the sides). All those large, left over holes from the Nitro components allow a lot of dirt and water to get inside (experience with my Bruns last year).

I just finished my Turbo Burns with 4S and Team Orion VST2 Pro motor a few days ago. I noticed you are running the standard motor from the Vorza so the standard Burns diffs should be fine (my Burns DX runs fine with the Neon 8 as well).

I upgraded the ones in my Turbo Burns to Turbo Inferno spec. with BSW-1 and BSW-2 gears, but am not sure whether that was really necessary. Advantage of those later diffs is that they have a rubber seal so one can use diff. oil instead of grease.

It is incredibly fast and definitely needs a bit more of setting up to get it to handel right, I will work on that during the summer. :)

I am really looking forward to seeing the pictures of your finished car and more videos too! You can find more, higher res. pictures of my T. Burns in my Flickr account.

34219326372_b4f9f7fff6_c.jpg
Kyosho Turbo Burns Brushless by lexster76, auf Flickr

33993014880_5a4b5c55a0_c.jpg[/url
]Kyosho Turbo Burns Brushless by lexster76, auf Flickr

I got lucky, my Burns came with the steel spur gear already installed, the only thing I had to do in terms of restoration was remove the running gear and give it a thorough once over with a toothbrush and dishsoap. I'm also using a mod 1 steel pinion that's a couple teeth up from the one on the original nitro engine (17T)

Thanks for the link. I am amazed at how much more expensive that pack is compared to the 12/13/14 and 18/19/20 packs. It is good to know about them though. I am running a 15T at the moment and will probably go down to a 13T to increase the top end speed.

It is good that you're running the BSW-19 steel gear, the BS-11 plastic wouldn't last long.

Yeah I certainly didn't pay that price not sure what's going on there

Finally got her done. I decided to use vinyl instead of paint because my first painting attempt failed horribly (due to pant reacting with the mask)

finished.jpg

That looks fantastic, congratulations!! Which paint and mask did you try to use? I have had great experience with the Parma mask and paint combinations. I am a pretty hopeless painter and they worked well. Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

I used Tamiya paints and random adhesive vinyl scraps I had left over to mask. The paint softens the vinyl which causes bleeds ;(

Looks like it has been pretty quiet around here for the past year so I figured I would post a few more pictures for reference.

I recently I upgraded my MP5 to "full option".

Then I restored an MP6 International which I managed to get second hand through the local adds and set it up in two configurations for the pictures.

1. As it was seen on the Kyosho Box Art (next to options list), and in the catalogs ( green wheels and wing, blue fuel lines and O.S. RZ Engine
  2. Ast it was seen on the Box Art and in the catalogs as car in motion (orange wheels and wing, white fuel lines and an engine with black head)

Links to the catalog pictures can be found in the description of the picture on Flickr. As with the MP5 I left the body unpainted as it was on the box art and also as I simply don't know where to start with something that complex. If anyone has relialbe information about how the body and wing were pointed I would love to know.

I also put the optional parts from my brushless Turbo Burns on my nitro model along with the optional BSW-43 front brake.

As always there are many more picture in high resolution on my flickr page as well as details concerning which options are installed. Hope you like them!

In addition I am also trying to capture what I have learned about these cars on Wikipedia. These pages are still drafts for now, when the are made public I will post new links for them. I will be making a dedicated page for each family of car (Burns, classic Inferno, MP5/MP6) and one page which shows the compatibility of the optional parts between the various cars. I hope to have the Burns page and the compatibility page finished by the end of the week. If you have any ideas let me know!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Kyosho_Burns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Kyosho_1/8_Scale_RC_Car_Parts_Comparison

34246983601_fc38812f52_z.jpg
Kyosho Inferno MP5 (Full Option) by lexster76, auf Flickr

34246981521_a559fcff36_z.jpg
Kyosho Inferno MP5 (Full Option) by lexster76, auf Flickr

36684186001_47b084ba7f_z.jpg
Kyosho MP6 International by lexster76, auf Flickr

36684167191_aff5bc510d_z.jpg
Kyosho MP6 International by lexster76, auf Flickr

36247051764_d0a8dac432_z.jpg
Kyosho MP6 International (brochure race config) by lexster76, auf Flickr