Daves956

Any ideas for this? / A 6 wheeled crane build

I picked this up with the concept of a mobile rocket launcher but have decided for safety reasons that's not such a hot idea. It's 2 feet long and 11 inches wide. I've searched Ebay, some of the body manufaturers, Toys R Us and all the local hobby shops looking for an idea with no results. With the lunchbox tires and wheels and the body it came with it looks like some sort of redneck limo. The chassis is well made and it screams for a project and I have a 7 channel radio to make it do just about anything but I'm not coming up with any ideas. I've been debating a garbage truck so any ideas would be better than that. Any ideas?IMG_1506.jpg

1) Redneck Limo

2) Parade Float

3) Cherry Picker Crane

4) Willy Military Personelle Carrier

5) King Hauler Flatbed

6) Propane Tank Truck

7) Ditch the body and make it a Space Shuttle transport

8) Extend a Lunchbox body and make a giant UPS van

9) Tow Truck

10) Log Transporter

I looked at a firetruck and crane at Toys R Us and they were ok for length but were only 6 inches wide. I've been thinking semi truck but again everything comes up way too narrow. I like the parade float idea. I've got the box one of the jag bodies came in

How about some sort of half-track vehicle with some mattracks? Either military or evey Snowcat(ish)? It'll be interesting to see what you come up with!!

How about some sort of half-track vehicle with some mattracks? Either military or evey Snowcat(ish)? It'll be interesting to see what you come up with!!

I've got tank tracks and mattracks and I'm about to finsh the second snowcat (blizzard) so I was kinda thinking wheels and tires for a change. The problem is a body or at least a cab that looks close to the right scale. The one it came with just looks too small. I could fab something for the back but I don't think I could do a good looking cab from scratch.

An International Rescue Elevator Car?

fin_Elev-car-runway-1.jpg

While they were radio-controlled in the original show, admittedly it would take quite some effort to work the current chassis into a shape resembling this car...

An International Rescue Elevator Car?

fin_Elev-car-runway-1.jpg

While they were radio-controlled in the original show, admittedly it would take quite some effort to work the current chassis into a shape resembling this car...

The driven wheels and steering fronts would be a challenge to make into that but I did see a cheapo trimaran boat with that front nose. I have a feeling I'm looking at 1:8 or a large 1:10 scale to get it to look somewhat right. I'll take a look at the little import place that sells the new bright junk tomorrow. Somebody has to make something that resembles a body or at least a cab to fit this size

I think I would either go for the stretched limo look, put some neon underglow on it and lights in the cockpit etc although it would look cheesy! :)

Otherwise I would probably try and make it into a crawler :)

I think I would either go for the stretched limo look, put some neon underglow on it and lights in the cockpit etc although it would look cheesy! :)

Otherwise I would probably try and make it into a crawler :)

add sliding sunroof, jacuzzi in the back with Barbie and friends :lol:

• Like 1

I think the old Tonka is the best idea yet, but where to find one. I looked at the new ones at Toys R Us and they were pretty lame. The axles in it wouldn't be too good for a crawler and that would be a different chassis too. I think a shoe box with doors and window drawn on would be better looking than that body as a limo. Ghost mobile and just throw a sheet over it? :lol:

I think I have an old Nylint crane you're welcome to have if you're willing to pay shipping.

This is not a pic of my crane, but it is accurate:

2880596_2_l.jpg

I need to go out in the garage and make sure it's still on the shelf. I see at least five radio channels for driving, steering, crane rotation, crane elevation, and bucket up/down... :D

-Paul

I think I have an old Nylint crane you're welcome to have if you're willing to pay shipping.

This is not a pic of my crane, but it is accurate:

2880596_2_l.jpg

I need to go out in the garage and make sure it's still on the shelf. I see at least five radio channels for driving, steering, crane rotation, crane elevation, and bucket up/down... :D

-Paul

That would be cool, let me know what the dimensions are if you could. I have a 6 and 7 channel for this project already.

Oooo - i have one of those cranes too, plus a orange concrete mixer plus a bruiser esque pick up truck - all well battered and hidden in my parent's loft for the last 30 years !

Hmmmm lets see...

1,mobile rocket launcher :lol:

2,6x6 tatra crawler

3,tatra 6x6 bassed roll on roll off skip lorry

4,Army 6x6 tatra with a massive gun on the back,any bb firing tank bit's left Dave? ;)

5,Add another axle and make a tatra 8x8

6,Anything tatra,ther awsome go anyware trucks :wub:

atmos_3.jpgB)

:)

I can take the new bright stuff off the list for a potential cab or body. I did see two interesting ones there though. A really nice looking F1 body and a 1:24th semi truck missle launcher. I'm still looking

you could alway make an army type 6x6 flat bed transporter or build a trailer for it .... or grab a bull head body and cut sick similar to my hornet 6x4 ..! just use google images and type in rc 6x6 truck ..

semi013.jpg

you could alway make an army type 6x6 flat bed transporter or build a trailer for it .... or grab a bull head body and cut sick similar to my hornet 6x4 ..! just use google images and type in rc 6x6 truck ..

semi013.jpg

I like the semi truck look, I'll keep looking for a body or cab that can be made into something that will fit this thing. There has to be something for sale somewhere.

I measured my Nylint crane and I doubt it's the size/scale you're looking for. Here are the specs:

Wheelbase (front to middle) - 171 mm

Wheelbase (middle to rear) - 77 mm

Track width - 130 mm

Tire diameter - 65 mm

Body length - about 360 mm

Body width - 140 mm

Body height - 205 mm to the boom operator's cab roof

Boom length - about 405 mm

The condition is a little rusty, the rear bumper has been dented by some poor driving (probably when I was 4 or 5 years old!). I used to play with it in a sand box for hours at a time. Amazingly the original strings are still intact and the boom and bucket still function. Anyhow, it's yours if you want it.

-Paul

I measured my Nylint crane and I doubt it's the size/scale you're looking for. Here are the specs:

Track width - 130 mm

Tire diameter - 65 mm

Body width - 140 mm

The condition is a little rusty, the rear bumper has been dented by some poor driving (probably when I was 4 or 5 years old!). I used to play with it in a sand box for hours at a time. Amazingly the original strings are still intact and the boom and bucket still function. Anyhow, it's yours if you want it.

-Paul

Track width - 130 mm

Tire diameter - 65 mm

Body width - 140 mm

-Paul

Unfortunately That one is quite a bit short and narrow but I appreciate the offer.

I found a crane at walmart that's the right size but a bit toy looking. It would require a lot of mods and changes to the chassis but it has potential....and 2 cabs. ;)

IMG_1508.jpg]

I decided to take everything apart and decide what goes with this project and what's not going to work. Lunchbox wheels, adapters and tires with the long uprights are all no go's. I figured the boom was a no go but it's set up for RC or at least motorized with rack and pinion for elevation and extension. If gearboxes can be fitted it might be worth keeping. Lots of parts to go through but it could be cool, with enough work done to it.

This is going to be a large drawn out project that hopefully will take a while. It's on a customized RC10 chassis that has a second driven axle. This is one of the pieces to the puzzle.IMG_1506.jpg