Sign in to follow this  
adam1973

I got caught on phone while driving.....

Yes I know, I'll be in badword for doing this as a professional driver. I was talking to a colleague via hands free and I couldn't quite hear him (phone was in a holder not on ear), so I picked it up to hear him better as he was wanting assistance.

An unmarked car stopped me 30 seconds later, and during course of my reprimand he mentioned that as it was the first time I had been caught (wasn't something I normally did), that I would probably be offered the "Driver Awareness Course" due to new legislation coming into effect that day. Now with it being a new "thing", they didn't have the paperwork/forms etc on them and wrote my details on back of notepad. That was back on 10th Oct.... I haven't heard anything since then and I haven't been able to find anything out online as to how long it takes for these things to come through.

Oh, and yes, I have learnt my lesson.

Sounds like you might have got away with it. .. while I don't think it's acceptable to use a phone when you're driving, I think there are plenty of other things people do which are just as bad if not worse... passing a white van driver rolling a cigarette bothers me somewhat - at least on a phone you keep your eyes on the road...

No news is good news ;)

writing your details on the back of a notepad isnt exactly professional :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Some coppers realy get my back up,not all but some.

I got stopped going a bit too fast on a dual carriagway a while back,copper said if i wanted to speed go into the country side and do it...what a thing to say :blink: :blink: :angry::rolleyes:

That's what I'm thinking about the not hearing about it... As to professionalism, maybe he was trying to make a point, but I guess we'll see... Well, I will see that is lol.

As a non-smoker, it also gets my back up about that too, same as not using lights, indicators etc....

sounds a bit iffy to me if it was a traffic car dressed or plain clothes they would have had the right paper work with them

did you see any ID ?

and if wrote on the back of a note book there is no proof of what you have done and the correct procedure not followed so would'nt stand up in court

sounds a bit iffy to me if it was a traffic car dressed or plain clothes they would have had the right paper work with them

did you see any ID ?

and if wrote on the back of a note book there is no proof of what you have done and the correct procedure not followed so would'nt stand up in court

I'am sure there was nothing 'Iffy' about it in terms of the officer being a actual police officer . However if no official document was issued then he has no record of the offence and therefore your in the clear . Do me a favour though - and this applys to everyone , dont use a mobile while driving . Even a hands free kit is too much of a distraction IMO . I've had the very sad experiance of seeing some fatal RTA's over the years and no phone call is ever worth a life .
  • Like 1

As said, it wasn't something I normally did, and the Traffic Officers (both of them) had full uniform, radios, flashing blues in the radiator grille etc... I have to admit that it did make me chuckle to myself that he wrote my details down on the back of his note pad due to not having the forms/documentation yet because of the change of legislation etc.... Suffice to say, I am 100% more resolved in not even speaking on phone by use of speaker/hands free etc.... It doesn't pay...

I think all of us has used our mobile while driving. For light conversation, I really don't see a problem provided is hands free, which is like talking to some one in the car, while can still focus on driving. On the other hand, where thinking is required, than is best to pull to the side of the road.

It seems the police are getting in accident because of the amount of distractions in their car. They have the radio, computer, phone and camera to distract them from reading info from the computer to entering data for info. Steps will be taken to reduce distraction for officer while the vehicle is in motion....The above was just recently broadcasted by NBC news.

Maybe.... still have had nothing come through.... Though if it does, I don't begrudge the cost and the exercise of the course... Perhaps all should go on it???