Skottoman

Skottoman's VW Samba Project

With each project you tackle your raising the bar higher!

That's quite a collection of scale builds and projects you must have now, so assuming there is a TC meet in 2013, I'd like to suggest we make it a weekend residential TC masterclass at Skottoman's house ;)

• Like 1

With each project you tackle your raising the bar higher!

That's quite a collection of scale builds and projects you must have now, so assuming there is a TC meet in 2013, I'd like to suggest we make it a weekend residential TC masterclass at Skottoman's house ;)

Buahahaaaa! :D I'd just be happy to make it over to the UK some year for a meeting. :D I do like the idea of a "Scale, junker, rat rod, baja, racing, off road, rally mobile".But I'm not sure I want to throw Padla tracks under it just yet. I want to try some m-rally tires under the fenders for a more scale look first... Hm... just how will this evolve?! I am out of town for the next few days so nothing will really happen after today for a while...

HPI Fuchs wheels are just the job for this - you'll need to be wary of the offset though, maybe use the front rims at all four corners?

I actually already have a selection of the fuchs wheels already in my "stock"... but they only fit Cup Racer tires, and those are low profile slicks, not exactly the look I wanted, but I'm gonna have a go at a variety of wheels/tires once the Tamiya M Rally tires come in.

I also see some options at RC4WD, but I'll have to wait until after this weekend to see if I need/want them...

Cheers,

Skottoman

I'm sure I've seen a thread about fitting M tyres to the cup racer wheels, or t'other way round - on another forum I think, maybe rctech ?

these might be worht a look..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=105793&sid=19357

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55388&page=2

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55864

The chassis is completed now. Reason I chose the M04L, is because the wheelbase is perfect, and I have about 5 of them! Haha...

Trying to repurpose things here...

Ok, the M rally tires came in. I threw them on some Alfa rims, and set up the stance.

But I'm still not sure now if that is what I want after seeing the hard core Baja Busses...

Starting to think SRB chassis. Hm...

So... As I head off for the weekend, I'll have to ponder what I will do with this when I return. I have seen some other wheel/tire combos that might work, but I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

Skottoman

samba_22.jpg

Wow - what a great technique for rust - fantastic work there Skottoman!

And I can see a full length wire roof-rack full of junk and camping equipment on there - less Baja racer and more Sahara jalopy perhaps?!

Can't wait to see it rolling!

Jx

• Like 1

You could go so many ways with a body look like that. When I look at it, I see your typical beachbum's 'house', rusty, well used and poorly maintained VW Samba. ...All except for one thing, they usually have no tread on thier tyres :lol:

Perfect surfboard in the passenger seat (the one thing they do look after and maintain). Scruffled bed in the back, heaps of Maccas/KFC wrappers (anywhere they land), rag for a fuel cap, and a few Billabong and Ripcurl decals on the windows.

Are you going to narrow off the inside of the wheels to make them look more scale?

• Like 1

Extremely good. That rust effect is amongst the best i have seen...

• Like 1

Extremely good. That rust effect is amongst the best i have seen...

and its actually really easy to to . The scale tank guys have being doing the same thing for years .
  • Like 1

*sigh* so what I'm going to do is just send you my paints this time.

• Like 1

Hahaha... Thanks guys, I love the comments!

I'm back from holiday, and have figured out the direction with this build...

I want to keep it more scale, yet somewhat useful for offroad, (as much as can be with an M04 with locked diff)... and not go extreme with monster tires, cut out wheel wells, etc...

So this weekend thinking about the wheels/tires, I decided what to do. I'm using some narrowed Alfa M size wheels, with M rally tires.

The tires are stuffed with hard foam, and mounted on narrowed wheels... I prefer the 'round' shape the tire takes when using this method on the narrowed wheels. Kind of vintage Kyosho look, and in the line of what I'm looking for for the rest of this build...

I'm happy with the scale look, and once the tires are mangled a bit from wear/dirt/etc, I think they will work well. :)

Here's where I'm at with the wheel tire setup...

Cheers,

Skottoman

samba_24.jpg

samba_25.jpg

samba_26.jpg

samba_27.jpg

Looking good... I mean horrid... you know what I mean. Wheels look great, but you need to make one hubcap. Just one.

• Like 2

So more work...

The chassis is actually running (very well I might add), and I got the body mounted, and made 2 hubcaps!

Getting the body mounted was important because I needed to know how much room I have inside, and also because then I can start adding more details!

The hubcaps worked REALLY well, as they actually screw on! I kind of needed them because the rear axles stuck out quite a bit and looked bad due to me thinning down the hex adaptor. It needed the clearance to fit under the shell fenders.

The hubcaps are left over backs of some spotlights from I think the Sand rover. I sanded a flat spot on them for the logo, and sanded them a little shallower on the back, drilled out the center hole to the size of the axle, and it screws right on! (I left the little slot open as I didn't feel like filling it, and this was never meant to be perfect). I also drew on the VW logo as I think the hand touch give it more character... although I guess I could always fill/sand/paint them, and put on a decal for ultimate realism... Hmf.

Cheers,

Skottoman

samba_32.jpg

samba_33.jpg

samba_34.jpg

samba_35.jpg

Neat solution. I love ideas like that, ideas that use up otherwise useless bits in the spares box! This gets more fantastically awful with every update! :)

• Like 1

:lol: :lol: I love the oil cooler . Now that's a classic & very well detailed peace .

This is turning out great , Your a master at detail & up there with wyoming . :D

• Like 1

Nice! I like the rusty look but I've not really understand the technique.

Max