Sign in to follow this  
Kevin_Mc

have you ever lost parts?

Recently i managed to split the bearings out of my Nitro engine, i cleaned the block then put the parts away until i was ready to rebuild. Last week I came to rebuild the engine and found that i have ever part except for the bearings that i removed.

I think i've tried to be smart and put them somewhere "memorable" and for the life of me i can't find them now! The last place i remember seeing them was in the freezer, as i froze them so i could refit, but i have a vague that i took them out and put them somewhere else.

The freezer's since been cleaned out and defrosted and i didn't find them then, it's driving me mad!!

has anyone else ever done similar?

I haven't really had this exact experience, but I have misplaced things, or dropped them and can't find them...

Usually D.T.B. (Due to beer). :D

Oh god that familiar tinkle of screws, nuts, bolts etc hitting the hard kitchen floor and then being whisked away to the magical land of lost parts fills me with dread, always seem to happen on a late night session with me. What amazes me it how far the things will travel! Working on carpet isnt any better and you can guarantee the only sure fire method of finding the missing part is to walk over it barefoot the following morning.

If I'm packing up a part stripped down chassis I've started using zip lock sandwich bags to keep all the bits together, they usually have an area for labelling too. Saying that I was fishing one out of the back of my cupboard the other week and it tore open :( The noise of parts falling into, around and under countless boxes was just like winning the jackpot on a fruit machine, only it was followed by a lot more professional swearing and 2 hours of shifting and searching boxes on my knees in the dark :/

Yeah and i'm pig sick about it. I have a Hilux hilift that I bought a winch for and a full 3 racing lighting set (everything for it) Put it in a Mini bodyset box for a later date and now i've lost it. I've had the loft upside down trying to find it and i've now given up.

Will paint the Hi Lift up and sell as is and then it will turn up as sods law dictates..

Oh and I've lost a toymaker 'punk' wild willy head that Matt made for me - gutted is the word

Lol - I started keeping spares and older parts by model - that was fine until i got plenty of different models !

I have bits n bobs in boxes in various locations - I tend to think i know where most of it is, but there are always one or two bits that take me far too long to locate. I've thought many a time that I should rearrange things, but I sort of have a system that works nine times out of ten; changing things would probably mean i'd have more stuff closer to hand but requiring more space ! :(

It doesn't help that half my stuff is hidden from the wife deliberately :lol:

I have mostly lost black c-clips on carpet, which is almost inevitable. However, I seem to be usually good at finding dropped pieces during a build; I lose the majority of parts when I drive!

I remember "losing" some Manta Ray parts several years ago. I was sure I had left them on my worktable, but they somehow vanished. I turned the place upside-down looking for them to no avail, even consulting a hypnotist to try to help remember where I'd put them.

A few days later, I chanced to overhear a family member say "Oh, you remember Bob (not his real name) who came to visit the other day? He still struggles with kleptomania you know."

• Like 2

I find you have to lose something now and look for it in order to find something you lost ages ago,unless its socks....if you lose a sock its gone for good <_<:lol:

Oh,and never...ever put something where you can find it :P

The list is pretty much endless. Digging through boxes here is like some sort of Christmas past or a reminder that I have too many parts. I find cool stuff and try to figure out where it came from or why I put it there. The number one lost part is body clips not singles that would be normal. I seem to loose them by the bag then forget about it and find them months later. I've lost 3 packages of shrink tube so far this month. Not just a single piece but all of it and the package it came in too