Sign in to follow this  
hobbyteam

LRP Pulsar charger

Hello everyone,

just got the LRP Pulsar Touch charger.

I need a power supply to use it.

The charger's input is 11V-15V and the charger's power is 140Watts.

I am looking to get the Fusion 200W Adjustable Power Supply which has adjustable output 5V-15V and is 200Watts.

Will it work with the charger?

I think it will but i am new with the batteries...

thank you, regards Tassos.

You should be ok with that supply. The charger is rated at 140Watts, so if you connect it to that power supply set to 12 Volts and then apply Ohm's Law (Amps = Power/Volts), then 140W divided by 12V gives a current of 11.67 Amps. The power supply has an adjustable current limit of 0 and 15A so it should have no trouble delivering 12A at 12V (the power supply is rated at 200W, which means the maximum current it can deliver at 12V is 16.67A). You just have to remember that if you set the power supply to 12 volts, you will also need to set it's current limiter to 12 Amps to work with the charger.

It's always good to have some margin when buying a power supply; there's no need to stress the parts by running them at the limit. A 200W supply should have no problems satisfying a 140W charger.

-Paul

Hi, back with a question...

i set the power supply to 13.8V and the charger at 2A to charge a nimh pack.

the display of the power supply shows from 1A to 1.2A does that mean the battery is being charged at that current or at the one set on the charger?

Am i doing something wrong?

thank you in advance,

regards Tassos.

The charger is likely delivering 2A @ ~6-7V to the battery, or about 12-14W of power. The front end power supply is delivering 1-1.2A at 13.8V, or about 14-16W of power. Note that the power delivered is about the same from power supply to charger, and from charger to battery. There is some power lost in the charger in the form of heat, maybe 1-2W in this case.

What's going on is there is a switchmode power supply with current limiter built into the charger that is dropping/reducing 13.8V to the charging voltage required for the battery pack. This switchmode converter is about 90% efficient under load (typically), so if you're delivering 12-14W of power to the battery then that power plus power to make up for the 10% inefficiency is required from the front end power supply, requiring 14-16W from it. As the voltage of the battery pack rises during charging you should see the current on the front end power supply increase since the power delivered to the battery pack is actually increasing (increasing pack voltage with constant charging current from the charger = increasing power delivered to the pack, therefore increasing power at a fixed 13.8V power supply voltage = increasing current going to the charger).

The key relationship is power = volts x amps, recognizing the switchmode converter in the charger is about 90% efficient, and equating power delivered to the battery as power delivered from the front end power supply while compensating for the inefficiency of the charger.

-Paul

I got this https://www.lrp.cc/en/products/charging-equipment/accessories/produkt/multi-balancer-adapterboard-xh/details/

balance board for the Pulsar.

The small cables that comes with the board and are used to connect the balance board to the charger have from 4 to 7 cables.

Which one of them should i use to charge a three cell Lipo or a two cell lipo battery pack?

Thank you in advance, regards Tassos.