Sign in to follow this  
pizzachaude

Few questions for the Optima mid

Hi there, I just need a little info on the Optima mid and I cant seem to find any answers. I recently won one on feebay, its actually in very good condition, but some things just arent right. It has a Traxxas motor in it, did the Optima mid come with a motor? If so, which one? Also, mine has metal bushings except for the 2 diffs which have bearings, did it come with all ball bearings? From an online manual it should have come with a mechanical speed controller, but I cant find any, if anyone can confirm that it did come with a MSC can u post a pic of it so I know what to look for?

One last thing, mine came with the Kyosho platinum shocks, I think the turbo optima came with them but I doubt mine is turbo (has dogbones at all 4 corners and no sway bars). So I need the gold ones, but shouldnt the platinum ones be the better ones? Thanks!

Hi, let's answer one by one:

did the Optima mid come with a motor? If so, which one?

Yes it did, LE MANS 240 ST

Also, mine has metal bushings except for the 2 diffs which have bearings, did it come with all ball bearings?

Early versions of Optima Mid came with metal bushings evrywhere except the diffs. the one you have is the early version. later it came with ball bearings everywhere.

the early version manual is here: http://www.vintagerc.../optima_mid.pdf

and the later version manual is here: http://www.retromode...mid-kyosho.html

From an online manual it should have come with a mechanical speed controller, but I cant find any, if anyone can confirm that it did come with a MSC can u post a pic of it so I know what to look for?

It came with MSC, many photos can be found in tamiyaclub showrooms: http://www.tamiyaclu...a mid&offset=20

One last thing, mine came with the Kyosho platinum shocks, I think the turbo optima came with them but I doubt mine is turbo (has dogbones at all 4 corners and no sway bars). So I need the gold ones, but shouldnt the platinum ones be the better ones? Thanks!

the Optima Mid came with the gold shock, the priviuos owner probably changed them, from my experience the gold were better, but the platinuim were also good if they're not leaking.

bye

Well well, there's me thinking that all Mids were fully ballraced. Fortunately mine (back in the day) was ballraced. I'd love to turn back the clock 23 years to getting my Mid at Christmas!

There's plenty of 240ST motors about if you wanted to get it back to standard, and the gold shocks always come up on ebay, but aren't cheap for a nice set.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Great! Thanks for the answers. so it must be an early version. INTEGRA FAN, your name comes up all the time for anything Kyosho on the net!

So there are no Lemans 240St on ebay, but there are some 240E and some 240SB. Just trying to get a ballpark price for this motor in good condition, doesnt have to be new but in good condition, any chance someone would be interested in trading for a Dynatech 02H? Or is one worth a lot more than the other?

Actually this car is one of my christmas presents, always wanted one when I was a kid but it was way too expensive. Rebuild is pretty much done, just need to get upper chassis plate, belt protectors, body and decals, motor and MSC.

So there are no Lemans 240St on ebay, but there are some 240E and some 240SB. Just trying to get a ballpark price for this motor in good condition, doesnt have to be new but in good condition, any chance someone would be interested in trading for a Dynatech 02H? Or is one worth a lot more than the other?

I've got a 240ST in very nice condition that I can swap for your Dynatech mate.

Here's a pic of the Dynatech, I beleive it's used but the thing is mint, with the original soldering and wires perfectly intact, with box which does show some wear. You wouldnt happen to have the gold shocks and MSC now would you?

Show me yours!!

Here ya go bud. I'd describe it as a 9/10 condition. Some tiny marks but nothing major.

tq002.jpg

Here ya go bud. I'd describe it as a 9/10 condition. Some tiny marks but nothing major.

tq002.jpg

P.S. Might have an MSC lying around, will have a hunt in my spares.

I do have an MSC but it's fitted to a Mid that I am selling soon, thought I had a spare but can't find it at the moment.

Thanks for the offer bud but I already have one of those ESCs too as I got it with a huge Mid spares lot a few years ago. I guess I could be tempted to sell the MSC and 240ST as a lot for the right offer. Don't really need the Dynatech at the moment when I think about it.

I do have an MSC but it's fitted to a Mid that I am selling soon, thought I had a spare but can't find it at the moment.

Let me know when you are selling the mid, I would love to check it out

Let me know when you are selling the mid, I would love to check it out

PM sent. :)

Thought you might like to see how this is turning out. Chassis is finished, belt covers are from *****, painted using Tamiya PS-31 smoke paint to match the original covers. Top plate is new, Lemans 240ST motor from ebay for 15$, all aluminum parts have been polished. When I got the car it was missing the battery tie wraps. As you all know, these are releasable tie wraps, on ebay they sell for 10$ plus shipping for 2, I searched in a lot of stores in my area and eventually found one that had some, 20 for 2$! They are very nearly identical to the originals and fit perfectly with that original Kyosho vintage battery! Painting the tires is a lot more challenging on this than the other Tamiyas I have done, but they turned out well in my opinion. Still missing is the original mechanical speed controller and resistor, antenna mount, on/off switch holder and one spacer for the wing. I just got the body and decals yesterday and will post more pics when its done. The car will have to live with the platinum shocks for now, can't find some gold ones at a reasonable price.

What an amazing car! No wonder it won so many races in its day