Sign in to follow this  
turbocharged s15(2)

Pinion and Spur Gear ?

Hey,right now i have a 19t pinion gear and a 61t spur gear.If i change my pinion gear to a 22t or 23t pinion gear will the change be really affective as far as top speed? If i put a the 22t or the 23t pinion gear do you guys suggest i change my spur gear as well to a higher tooth. Im looking for top end. Acceleration isn't a problem at all.What combo do you guys suggest.Thnaks.

p.s Hey just put in my new Futaba 2PHKA-2 Channel s3003 radio with the Futaba MC330R ESC/with reverse! Im happy.[:D]

The extent of the increase in top speed does depend on the overall gear ratio of the car. But generally you should notice a pretty big increase in speed if you put the 23T pinion in. (but be carefull not to fry your motor). If you want to change your Spur gear for better top end, reduce the number of teeth.

An easy way to look at this would be to think fractions. The pinion as the numerator (the one on top) and the spur gear as the denominator. for better top speed, you want the biggest fraction, and for better acceleration you need a smaller fraction.

So at the moment you are running 19/61 = 0.311, if you put in a 23T pinion on the same spur you get 23/61 = 0.377

But as I said, the extent of any changes greatly depends on the gear box ratio of the car.

Hey thanks.So if i change my pinion gear to a 23t 0r 22t pinion gear what do you suggest i get for replacement for my 61t spur gear.And another question was what about accelleration.Do i use a smaller pinion gear fot that and a smaller spur gear for accelation.Thanks [:)]

Before you change the gears, run the car and get a feel for how hot the motor and ESC get after running. Check again after changing the gear to make sure you are not overheating stuff. A bigger pinion will strain the electronics more.

Warning. The ESC/motor may be hot enough to burn you, so be careful..

quote:
Originally posted by turbocharged s15

...do you guys suggest i change my spur gear as well to a higher tooth. Im looking for top end. Acceleration isn't a problem at all.

id="quote">id="quote">

Umm... what chassis is this on again?

Was that the TT01?

Bigger pinion gear = gear Up.

Bigger spur gear = gear Down.

There is little point in doing *both* at the one time as you'll just negate the effect... usually the only time you'd change the spur is when you run out of space in the car for larger pinions, so you use a smaller spur instead to get higher gearing.

Your manual should have a chart showing what pinion/spur combinations are possible for your chassis.