CoolHands

Where do you do your modelling?

I live in a house, (as opposed to a flat) so you'd think it would be easy. But we lack tablespace - we only have one farily small kitchen table. What's your solution? I was thinking about making a smooth 'lid' or somesuch out of (say) hardboard, with some edges on it (to stop things rolling off) that I can put over the kitchen table to do modelling. My missus is not a big fan of this sort of stuff, and I haven't made anything for years :( I can't leave stuff out as we have a child. Too cold (and messy) in my shed. New table not feasable due to general lack of space (including storage space!)

I want to finish my f201 that I purchased in 2005, & started in 2008 :wacko:

http://www.tamiyaclu...showtopic=40669

Do you have a loft?

All of my stuff is in box's,on the rare occasion there's some quiet and some space i can unpack what i need and go from there :)

I work outside in a covered patio off our deck. That way I can make as much styrene mess and sanding mess as I like!

If I were you, I'd make a small project to clean up a basic desk and stool/chair for your shed. Bring a space heater, or just wear tons of jackets.

Other option is to use a Tamiya Box from a fairly large kit, use the bottom, cut one lengthwise side to fold down flat, and you have a little workstation you can fold up the side again, and put the lid on!

BTW, I just looked at your F201 thread... bring it back! As a fan of the F201, I know what you have when you show the metal FPM arms! I bought 2 sets back in 2005, and they are probably the coolest and rarest parts for the F201.

Have a look around garden centres - they usually sell sided trays like this one

They do various sizes, upto about 750mm wide.

Charity shops are great for old curtains and thick tablecloths to protect the rest of the table.

I built all sortsa trucks on an antique dining table with a heavy tablecloth and strategically placed chopping boards for the best part of seven years, and never damaged the table

tablecloth.jpg

I have a 6'x2.5' wood table in my bedroom and 3 high 6'x1.5' shelves above it for project storage and tool/paint supplies makes things kinda cramped but I'm used it and I'm down sizing all the hobby stuff I don't need/want (non RC) so more room will come

The RC box is a great idea- I did just that for years with a FAV box top

If you have space a computer desk makes a ideal rc work station . cover the pull out keyboard section with a hobby cutting sheet - job done . All you need then is a small clamp on vice and a good light to work by . takes up very little space . large plastic ' toy box ' type tub for storage and your all sorted .

I'm in a 4th-floor flat. I have a small round table that I can take anywhere and I keep my tools in a carry case. I have another for the extra parts.

In summer (daytime) I like to work outside with the headphones on enjoying some hardcore Country Music or 70's rock n' roll.

Gotta love the summer breeze! :)

DSCN9570.jpg

• Like 1

I work in an old coal shed thats built as a sort of annexxe at my nan's house. My current work top is a kitchen stool and a tray, so space does get a bit tight, but I can make all the noise and mess I want so I'm happy! I'm lucky as its brick built, but not heated, so I have a fan heater for the winter months. I also keep a lot of my games consoles in there, so its my storage for that too, but seeing as I still live at home and sleep in the frontroom, its like the bedroom I don't have! I'll post some pics up later!

I do most of my work in the spare bedroom. As it is a very small room it only has room for bunk beds. The bottom bunk has a sheet of chipboard over it for my work space, and the top bunk has boxes of bodyshells, cars and parts boxes!!!.

Colin.

I work away from home an awful lot so spend lots of time getting bored in hotel rooms.

Solution? I have a huge 'really useful box' 64l I think which lives in the boot of my car. I had all of my kit in it so when I got bored in the evening I could just get the box and do some more work. I fully sympathise with the space issue as I share my family house with 4 kids, so always manic.

Ikea fold away desks maybe a solution, or computer bureau type thing?

Some good ideas thanks. But I'm still thinking of making a wooden 'cover' that I can lay over the kitchen table, and store upright behind the sofa (or somewhere) when not in use. I was thinking if I could make little wooden 'walls' that stand up (maybe slot in somehow) it could compartmentalise it which would be cool.

Anyway I've got my F201 and box of stuff out the loft, so I'm determined to start modelling again asap!

Pound shops are good for small food containers to hold nuts, bolts n screws, plus shocks and steering components.

I've learnt to work in pretty small desk in the study - i have an A3 sized cutting mat that i use as my work mat - granted I have boxes of bits n bobs around the desk too, but all of this could be quickly tidied into a 48litre or underbed low profile storage box in a few minutes. I even managed to build the my modified Clod in this space, which is some achievement given its 18" wheelbase !

In cases like these its often well worth a visit to DIY or home stores, and look in sections you wouldn't normally go into - like the potting shed trays Andy linked too, the mesh baking sheets I use for window netting. Car boot sales are also worth a try, if only to open your eyes to other avenues !

I might give your table top cover a go Coolhands. I too have to work in the kitchen when the family is AWOL so a bit of extra protection with edges to stop bits rolling away makes a lot of sence too me.

Besides I've already managed to put a few drill holes into the kitchen table... and there's only so many times you can turn it around before the wife notices :( !

Besides I've already managed to put a few drill holes into the kitchen table... and there's only so many times you can turn it around before the wife notices :( !

Yes, I did this just the other day! So far nobody's noticed :ph34r:

good luck with your idea coolhands, hope it turns out how you want. I really like the tray Twinset posted up and may get one.