Sign in to follow this  
kontemax

Info about FF03 differentials

Hi people,

yesterday was looking into the bay for some vintage parts and I finished onto the FF03 hop up.

I've seen there are 3 kind if FF03 differentials: locked, geared and ball beared.

I don't own a FWD car, my last one was the FF01 when I raced.

So, why a gear diff or a locked diff on a front wheel drive car?

I suppose with locked diff the car doesn't curve and I suppose with a gear diff it curves too much but looses traction every five seconds.

Is it correct? So, why these chooses?

Thanks

Max

My understanding is:

Geared diff will give the best cornering, but will allow the wheel with the least grip to spin away the power when trying to exit a corner.

Locked diff will spread the power to both driven wheels, regardless of grip or load to each so gives good drive, but can cause the car to under steer and is hard on transmission.

Ball diff is a compromise and acts somewhere in the middle. Acts like a limited slip diff if you want to Google it. The mini (m03) racers talk about diffs a lot.

thanks

This could be real because this gear diff is an upgrade.

Locked diffo for dragster races? Who knows?

Max

with gear diff u are able to add thicker oil to make it act like a super limited slip diff.

If the gear diff is designed to be oil fulled, then you can make it act however you want, just by changing the oil thickness.

I own a FF03, I'm not a racer, and I switched to SpecR gear diff only for a question of maintenance: it doesn't needs to be periodically rebuilt like the balls one and it needs only an hard oil to work fine.

A plus is that I like how the car handles :)