jujutsuboy

Bored with RC Cars - please help!

I am sure many of you must have suffered with this dilemma before. I have built up a nice little collection over the last couple years - Lunchbox, Stadium Blitzer, CC01, M05, plus a couple of restos I have been toying with; Super Hornet and Madcap.

TBH, I have always enjoyed the build more than the running and enjoy tinkering/light modding (not helped by a lack of a local 'scene' to get involved with or decent places to run that are not just big expanses of grass), however I have got to the point where I have really lost interest. I really enjoy scanning the forum and the showrooms and love some of the work you guys do and the dedication to the cause, but the spark for my own messing with the cars seems to be slowly draining :-(

Any thoughts or suggestions? Really want the enthusiasm back!

cheers all

Go racing. Its soo much fun, improves your skill, gives you personal goals and its also a great social event!

Two thoughts - how about building something scale ? A landrover 90 maybe ? . Or how about a Tank ? Just build something different from the norm and the enjoyment will come back .

Tanks can be enjoyed in a very small space as they aren't very fast, and are a different kind of fun to other RC models. They are also a much more involved build, but are an expensive experiment if your interest is waning. From my experience, the fun in running RCs is when you have someone else to run your/their cars with. There would jhave been zero fun for me building the 'drag' cars that I have done (Thundershot / TT-01 / DF-02) without having my friend with the B4 to race against (Even if I still can't beat him ). Try and see if anyone local to you wants to join in with a bashing session.

Try also to find somewhere decent to run your vehicles. Doesn't have to be a massive area either. I had a lot of fun trying to see what the steepest off road incline was I could get my TXT-1 to climb. You could do similar with the CC-01 maybe.

There may not be a 'local' RC scene, but there is a global one here. Most of my enthusiasm for my scratch built projects has been the positive encouragement I have received from other members left on my build threads and posts on TC. With the aid of a GoPro camera, I have been able to share tank runs, drag racing, and monster truck bashing with others on the forum, even though they are on the other side of the world. Without TC, I definetly would not have pursued my RC hobby to the degree that I have over the last few years if I had not found TC.

• Like 1

I agree with bromvw... try a unique kit. Something different.

I also have gotten somewhat bored of the "driving" aspect. It's mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to drive anywhere to run the RC cars...

But that has only increased my desire to do more of the building, more detail, more scale stuff. That makes it more interesting me me right now because I don't feel like loading up the car to go drive around for a hour or 2. I'll spend 4 hours in a day just working on building though...

Problem is, i'm starting to run out of space to store the cars since I don't drive them and break them fast enough any more!

And to echo what MadInventor said... TC has really made me enjoy the hobby more, sharing build threads, taking photos more, just adds so much more dimension to the hobby.

Cheers,

Skottoman

• Like 1

Been there 9 months ago - not really sure how i got out of the boredom phase though. I probably decided to get my butt in gear and clear some of the outstanding projects, but in that process i bought more as i got my interest back ! :lol: I like the builds too, but then dont want to ruin my good work so the cars don't get run much at all.

Today I look at the shelves in the garage with 12 models on them, and wonder which i could sell without really missing them - not too easy a decision, and then i remember the other dozen or more in the attic :(

Selling a few makes me feel better after the event, but its not long before something else replaces them.

Perhaps sell a couple of cars and buy a NIB kit - get the enjoyment of a new build ? (Sell the Madcap and Hornet, get a new Grasshopper , Holiday Buggy or Sand Rover ?)

Custom / scale builds are all well n good if you have imagination and time, they suit some people but can be a real chore for others - you could experiment with the current CC-01 dependent ont he body, or get a suitable New Bright toy to do a custom scale body where 80% of its already done !

I'd echo whats been said already, or otherwise why not take a break? Switch off for a while and do something completely different. in time the enthusisam might come back.

I dont have alot of time to spend on TC / RC, partially due to comitments but also through choice as I have other interests. But in a way that's good because there's no fear of boredom setting in, and it keeps me wanting to do the next job on a build etc etc.

A few thoughts:

Make each build personal with unique mechanical modifications and/or custom paint -- construct a vision in your mind and then make it a reality. My enjoyment of the hobby went up quite a bit when I started doing this.

Take a look at other content for inspiration. I love Jevrie's low rider scale models, some of XXX Main's videos, and some of the Reader Rides in RC Car Action and RC Driver magazines. There's a lot of quality work done by many people in the TC showrooms. Something will likely catch your fancy and you'll want to make something like it.

Couple your interest in RC with other hobbies, like photography for example. RC cars are great subjects for still shots, action shots, and video clips. Each new car is a chance to practice photography.

The social aspect of this hobby is important. Whether it be through racing, a local club, or an online community, exchanging ideas with other people keeps it fresh.

Taking a break from the hobby never hurts either. That might sound contrary to what you're asking, but letting the mental clutter clear out and coming back with a fresh perspective after some time may be better than trying to "force it."

-Paul

If its the build that you find most appealing, then you've got to try a Tamiya full option tank. I built the Tiger 1 from new with all the bells and whistles and it was the most satisfying build ivd ever done. Loads of proper scale detail, takes ages to put together and you have a few gizmos to play with once its done. Heng Long ready mades are cheaper and 80% there but for the build a Tamiya full option is hard to beat.

Oh how I know that feeling, I've been trying to get the enthusiasm back for a couple months now. Tanks and custom stuff didn't help very much. I finally started simpifying things to get back to when I was exctided about the cars and not burdened to keep them all in tip top shape. I got rid of 15 cars that didn't do anything for me anymore and got back into the one that really is my favorite. It wasn't until I started concentrating on it that the enjoyment came back. I hope you find the spark again, maybe getting back to the beginning might help.

I helped bring it back when I had this same sort of phase by stripping down one of my cars; I am doing it right now for my Avante. As I am also interested in the build phase, reassembling it has helped me rekindle my enthusiasm for the hobby, and it does not require too much space - just time!

Maybe a combination of switching to something else and a rebuild could do it. Your situation sounded a lot like mine when I got started not too long ago, with the lack of local interest...

I do this all the time.. but now I'm to deep into 1 model to go back (Highlift F350) summer rolls around and I'm all about 1:1 cars.. and usually sell off my collection but not this time..

Take a break. I did it for a couple of years and now I'm here again.

Max

Get married. Your girl will throw all your cars out, and after a couple of years ''something'' will sure turn up your interest for the old RC cars you once had!

• Like 2

don't worry it all comes back around it go's in circles you will see a few months from now you may be building some more kits and enjoying them again.

+1 on racing. Either join a club or what I did and get a load of mates together, pick a suitable car and get some fire hose or something and your away.

We get together every week with M03's in the summer, Micro Ts in the winter.

Greetings.

I would build a scale truck.

I decided I'd have a go at building a scale Scania. I've got a 3 speed 8x8 with F350 axles and MFU. It is a rolling chassis at the moment but needs work to complete. I have no doubt it will be my most used truck ever.

The best thing is you can build it slowly and make it look how you want it to.

This has a massive smile factor.

...also an RC quick-fix solution would be to get something small a indoor. I've got a couple of the RC helis and quite a few of the Losi Micro Crawlers and far too many Siku RC trucks.

Yep helis are totally different from cars yet challenging to learn how to fly and that's how I got back into R/C. It's fun because the micro helis don't need much room to fly both indoors or out. They're also not expensive at all. Here's a video of me flying my $40 Ready To Fly V911.

I've found this too, I enjoy building more than running, and its definitely more fun running cars the more people there are. I have quite a few hobbies though, so my interests switch between them when I get bored of another. I was fanatical about painting stuff a while back, but now I can't face it, so I'm building stuff (somewhat un-successfully at the moment!) out of styrene (thanks Skottomann!!) but I'm certain I'll get annoyed with it at some point and move onto something else. Then I'll be really interested in games consoles/sony walkmans/something else, and move onto them, and back onto r/c again!

I find its reciprocal, and its always good to have more than one interest!

• Like 1

Since you prefer tinkering with the buggies, I suggest you could sponsor a buggy to your neighbour/friend/relative who has an interest in R/C & help/train him to race, repair or prep the buggy.

I have the same issues! I can go months without touching the cars but then I feel guilty (especially if they are still dirty from their last use!!) and start to tinkering with them again. Just gone through the lull phase again actually, but now the weather has turned and I want to stay indoors I decided to get to the cars and they all need work so I started by stripping and cleaning one and will carry on with the others as and when. My eldest 2 kids interest in them has wained somewhat so I too don't really drive them much anymore either (until the 2nd wave of Mini Me's comes to transmitter holding age!!)

If you are bored, just put the cars away for a while. You will regret selling them and you can come back to them when the interest rekindles (which it will!)

Rich

What a fantastic response in such a short time! Awesome! :) Some really good ideas and thoughts, which have helped me (and probably others) put a plan together.

1. Going to box up those items that I really have no interest in at the moment and put them in storage rather than sell anything so they will not be sat there annoying me! (That will be the Madcap, M05, maybe the Hornet and an Losi MRC I have hanging about), pending any inspiration.

2. Spend some time planning suitable projects - either based on current remaining vehicles OR possible a more challenging new build

3. Then onto one of my favourite pastimes (to much teasing from my better half) of researching what parts and stuff I need and where to get them! :rolleyes:

4. Post Xmas, spend some cash and on with the projects! Its winter, so I will cross the bridge of getting into running things come the spring.

Sounds like a plan!

I met my RC soulmate on here. How, I noticed his location. Don't be afraid to put personal data up in your profile etc. Just that location could find you new mates (or them find you), with not only an interest in RC stuff, but most probably similar interests in a wealth of subjects. I spend days out with my group and we laugh and chat all day, and after each session, despite the breakages and failure, I always feel more inspired, with a desire to meet next time with more reliable vehicles.

Good luck. Mud.