Sign in to follow this  
MadcapIwant1

Display cases (Floor standing)

Hi to all and thanks in advance for commenting on this one…

So does anyone have any good links or suggestions for good quality floor standing display cases, thinking of going down this road and thought this would be the best place to seek a little advice ;)

Will just be displaying my vintage buggies and possibly a truck or two…..

Wishing you all the best for Xmas and a great year ahead ;)

Paul.

Ikea use to stock nice freestanding display cases. Glass on four sides, a little over 1ft square and apx 5ft high. 4-5 moveable glass shelves. Check out their online store they probably still sell them.

Keep an eye out on ebay, my mother in law picked up 2 display stands for 99p. :)

Mother in law to be (one day if I ever ask her, lol) got these two cabinets from e-bay for 99p!! :D

She even went and picked them up for me as it was local. :D :D

Just need a few more models now, should be getting my new one tomorrow. Willy's new Vw wheelie from Fusion hobbies but that still leaves two spaces?. Hmmm, always wanted a Clod but not sure it will fit, the shelfs are all adjustable in height if it is too tall.

DSCF5253.jpg

Glass door at top for best models and cupboard at bottom for batteries and chargers.

I'm interested in some nice display cabinets too. The ones I've seen are either not quite wide enough for 2x buggies per shelf, but too wide for just one.

these look like good options at ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/60128562/

http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/10011055/

i personally am setting up my collection in my garage, so i'm using culinary-style stainless steel wire shelving. it's a great deal for the amount of shelf space. here's an example:

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B0038KVQHK/

klingsbo-glass-door-cabinet__79343_PE202930_S4.JPGdetolf-glass-door-cabinet__20306_PE079916_S4.jpg31llzO4YDYL.jpg

Cheers Guys, IKEA will be getting a viewing for sure, had a quick butchers earlier on some other sites but they were very expensive :( will be going for the glass shelved case with internal lighting but my only concern would be, will the lights fade the paint work on the shell / wing over time?????

Cheers again Guys (BIG thanks)

All the best for Crimbo ;)

Paul.

I really like the Ikea shelves but they are small. 16 3/4"x14 3/4" and the black one is one inch larger in dimensions.

The Ikea square one is rather small. I've seen it in person. It would work fine for 12th scale and maybe touring cars.

BTW: The term for this type of cabinet is "Glass Curio":

http://www.google.com/search?q=glass+curio&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D14&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=QfTPUPOEL8qrqQGSrYH4Cw&biw=1680&bih=937&sei=Q_TPUJmTI8myqQHN34GIDA

Curio cabinets won't cut it. They are made for nick nacks and dishes. It's display stands but no one makes an affordable one that is cheap. All the good ones that fit rcs well are made as display units for stores and usually start at around $500. I would love to find a store closing and get some display cabinets for cheap.

Internal lighting shouldn't effect your paint work. It's the UV in sunlight that fades models over time.

Cheers MR C :) was just a thought with the spot lights shining on the shells every day..... yip looks like I will have to end up paying top dollar for a display case but may just get lucky with e-bay and a local seller here in Scotland ;)

Cheers again Guys for all the comments and suggestions ;)

All the best

Paul.

Curio cabinets won't cut it. They are made for nick nacks and dishes. It's display stands but no one makes an affordable one that is cheap. All the good ones that fit rcs well are made as display units for stores and usually start at around $500. I would love to find a store closing and get some display cabinets for cheap.

lol. A curio is a display cabinet. It's just that style of cabinet. Weather it's commercial grade or not is another story. Besides, last time I checked, RC's on a shelf count as "nick nacks". :rolleyes:

lol. A curio is a display cabinet. It's just that style of cabinet. Weather it's commercial grade or not is another story. Besides, last time I checked, RC's on a shelf count as "nick nacks". :rolleyes:

I understand that. That type of cabinet is made for smaller items is all I was saying. I forgot you know everything. My apologies. ;)