actualday

I wonder if the community can track down an old model I owned?

Hi Tamiya Clubbers,

I have an idea that may sound wacko, but then again may not to many of you 'second time around' Tamiya fans...

In the mid 90's I built and owned a box art Tamiya Fire Dragon and Futaba SR Remote handset in white. The Futaba seemed a crazy design at the time, but the colour scheme of that handset was pretty tight, even for today, way ahead of its time... One thing is for sure, I really loved that buggy, and used and abused it over the few years I had it.

In a fit of 'having to grow up' [which I still regret TBH] I gave the buggy to some family members in Banchory, just outside of Aberdeen, in about 2002-2003. I gave the buggy to two young brothers in their mid teens to play with, figuring that they had the room and space to use it, that was sadly lacking where I lived in Liverpool.

That was the last I ever saw of it, I think it just wasn't their type of thing, more of a toy to them, and the bug never caught hold, and I understand that they passed it on to someone else. Fair enough, it was up to them what they play with.

Over the years that I owned the Fire Dragon Model I bought a Super Dragon body kit, which was painted in a silver pearlescent top coat, with black beneath, and it looked like distressed metal from above when fitted to the body, the decals really popped and looked great. I really loved that paint Job, and used that body when the model was on the shelf.

The Fire Dragon body shell was carefully painted, box art, careful to keep the window clear... I may have even applied a few Ferrero Rocher stickers to it, which seems like a common theme at the time.

In confessional mode, forgive me TC Fans, but I also did some unspeakable things to the chassis, like brush painting it silver with Humbrol chrome paint, and painting the yellow CVA dampers yellow and black as I recall... By Brush... and with acrylic... arghhhhh!!! LOL. Funny to laugh now, but what a horrendous crime! In fact come to think of it I dont think the suspension arms got away scot free either... ooops!

Fast forward 5 years...

So as time passed and I got back into the hobby, I started looking on eBay for Fire Dragons, and I always wanted another one. My wife knew I would never spend the cash on one, but watched this go on for years, until last year when she bought me an old and equally used and abused Fire Dragon banger off eBay, which I restored. During the whole restoration process, handling the very same parts as I did in my teens, I got around to thinking...

I wonder what did happen to that old buggy? I wonder where in the world it is now? Is it still servicable? Has someone already restored it?

If anyone would pick out the details of the Super Dragon Body and Painted Chassis, is us guys on here!

So has anyone seen my old Fire Dragon? It would be great to hear of anyone has! Just for old times sake...

haha Old School Runner! You know I am not the only one to have wondered!!

... you never know it may well surface in a members showroom somewhere...

HAHA , But i DO hope you get it . Now that would top off the great story .

Hope you asked santa very nicely to help .

But at the end of the day , some one may know where or who or what happened to it .

So good lucky ..

PS: i have wondered the same thing , could i find my old boomerang , blackfoot .

Are they still around or did they die ???.

This story has cheered me up most greatly..hahaha, ain't it amazing how something so small and of low value can mean so much in the long run, just shows how much Tamiya has filled our lives with happy memories over the years ;)

I live close by to Banchory mate (Montrose) so if I ever catch and eye of your Firedragon at any car booty or on the street ripping up the tarmac will be sure to let ya know ;)

I have a NIB Firedragon that I may consider selling? check out my NIB pics

All the best for Xmas and the New year ahead

Paul.

:)

haha Old School Runner! You know I am not the only one to have wondered!!

Yes, you're right there. I sometimes look on ebay for my long lost FAV; the first Tamiya I owned many years ago!!! I sold it to a friend, who in turn passed it on.

You should rename this thread 'Lost & Found', a place for all those souls searching for their long-lost (sold-thrown-out-passed-on) loved ones to place an ad :P

Oh and just in case...my FAV was painted red, with black painted wheels. It had a white star on the lid and the driver was painted grey :wub:

Given you handed it on to two lesser RC fans, who passed it on again, and you painted the chassis and shocks I suspect it met its grave a long time ago, or if it did survive some kind soul gave it a new chassis and shocks.

Nice story though ;)

Sadly, my original Hornet, Frog, Supershot, KingCab, Monster Beetle, Hotshot, and beloved RC10 Graphite Edition were thrown out in the trash when my father remarried and moved. I always hoped that the garbage man saw them and rescued them as they were all in working order. Let's hope that happened and they had a second lease on life and aren't rotting in a landfill in CT.

Still no sign of it, Huh? Sheesh!!

LOL!

I wonder if it will ever turn up?

Missing in Action - Fire Dragon

Last Seen In - Banchory, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK in 2003

I might have to rustle up a reward to see if this one will get interesting!! Hmmm, now what would make a good prize??

Still no sign of it, Huh? Sheesh!!

LOL!

I wonder if it will every turn up?

Missing in Action - Fire Dragon

Last Seen In - Banchory, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK in 2003

I might have to rustle up a reward to see if this one will get interesting!! Hmmm, now what would make a good prize??

NIB blazing blazer would be a good prize & i bet you would get your fire dragon :P ... :lol: .

• Like 1

What about contacting a local newspaper?

Not a national, just something like the local times/advertiser etc, you never know, you strike lucky.

Some one must remember it, either they had it, there kids had it, or they knew some one who had it.

Nice idea Carlito... could be the way forward... Its not really all that newsworthy though so I think I would have to pay some dollars to get it in a newspaper, which isn't really in the spirit of this treasure hunt... It would be nice to see if we could do this from Tamiyaclub...

anyone ever done anything similar? LOL...!