Sign in to follow this  
JWeston

Axial EXO - share your experiences

Awesome car, I have had good luck with my one axial an ax10. Yours looks like it should be a blast and looks great as well.

• Like 1

Test run completed. Motor mount came loose and stripped the spur a little almost immediately. Completely my own fault as I'd fitted the plastic part rather than the metal part. I quickly changed over the part. Actually didn't take too long considering all the screws to get the body off.

After I'd sorted the motor, WOW!!!!!! I thrashed it on rough terrain and it was awesome! Straight line speed is amazing, handling is great but I did barrel roll it a couple of times on tarmac so she is nicely scuffed up now but, more importantly, nothing broke!

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

img30876_05012013194723_3.jpg

img30876_05012013194723_2.jpg

img30876_05012013194723_1.jpg

Thanks, J

Here's a quick update. 3 of us now have EXOs, all with the same Brushless system. We are very very happy! We took them somewhere pretty brutal yesterday and ran them hard. They took some knocks and the conclusion is these things are tough. A dream to drive and highly recommended! Serious serious fun.

img30876_03032013082311_3.jpg

• Like 1

@Jweston, What motor are you using? 2s or 3s?

2S and plenty fast. One of the chaps had a 3S

Thread resurrection time - seriously thinking about one of these (even though the new to be released Yeti will solve some of the access/maintenance issues).

What servos are people using ?

Anyone running a brushed motor ?

Anyone using different wheels / tyres - 2.2's ? tyre widths/diameters ??

Thanks

4000kv 4-pole motor on 2S

digital metal gear servo (bluebird, I think it's the 7kg/cm model)

Brushed motor... no speed, no punch, used one just until I found the bl combo

For mild bashing, alu shock caps on front. Serrated lock nuts for wheels. May eat rear bearings (upgrades available). Looks good, nice handling, but don't try extreme stuff. Cover rim breathing holes (rear wheels will fill with dirt), make breathing holes in the tires.

For hardcore bashing, there is a thread on urc and a guy who describes how he made his exo pretty much bulletproof

• Like 1

Oh, if you by any chance build it from kit (which are unfortunately discountinued - great built, many upgrades included) there are 4 official erratas in the latest version and a couple of "unnoficial" ones

Love my EXO! Running a Tekin Pro 4 4k kv and RX-8 esc on 2s. The buggy rips! Probably my favorite driver. I have a Savox tg-1258 servo for pushing the fronts.

Cheers Theibault - i was offered one by a TC member, so i cancelled the used one i was minutes away from collecting last night. It comes with the Axial Vanguard brushless system (2900kV) - no rocket but should be plenty enough on 3S (I'm not looking to launch it ove the house). New bearings, pinion and spur already ordered, as well as a 10Kg Bluebird servo.

• Like 1