Sign in to follow this  
BigSteve

Motor lead colours.

Hi can anyone tell me what colour motor leads correspond to what polarity. I know it's probably a stupid question just need clarification.

Generally the positive terminal of the motor is marked with an engraved '+ve' or a red dot (silvercans). On standard Tamiya kit motors, the yellow wire is soldered to the positive terminal, and the green wire is the negative.

These correspond to the orange (+ve) and blue (-ve) on the Tamiya kit ESCs.

Obvious is the red/black wiring schemes.

• Like 1

Usually the darker color is negative. With Tamiya, that's blue or green, positive being yellow. On some motors they do the traditional red positive, black negative.

Gernerally the positive terminal of the motor is marked with an engraved '+ve' or a red dot (silvercans). On standard Tamiya kit motors, the yellow wire is soldered to the positive terminal, and the green wire is the negative.

These correspond to the orange (+ve) and blue (-ve) on the Tamiya kit ESCs.

Obvious is the red/black wiring schemes.

Lol, in the time it took to type, you beat me to the punch.

Lol, in the time it took to type, you beat me to the punch.

:lol: spelling errors and all. I usually re-read after I post and correct them, but you quoted the post too quickly. :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I bought a vintage hornet off ebay and it came fitted with an unknown ETC. I fitted a receiver that I knew was working from an old truck. When I switch everything on the steering responds to the transmitter but there is no response from the throttle stick. There is a continual red flashing led on the ETC. What I don't understand is there is an on/off switch, motor leads and a flat connector for the receiver coming off the ESC. With my tamiya ETC that is fitted to my boomerang there is another lead that also connects to the receiver. When I contacted the seller he told me just to connect the ESC flat connector to channel 2 on the receiver. Any ideas Steve.

Thanks guys. I bought a vintage hornet off ebay and it came fitted with an unknown ETC. I fitted a receiver that I knew was working from an old truck. When I switch everything on the steering responds to the transmitter but there is no response from the throttle stick. There is a continual red flashing led on the ETC. What I don't understand is there is an on/off switch, motor leads and a flat connector for the receiver coming off the ESC. With my tamiya ETC that is fitted to my boomerang there is another lead that also connects to the receiver. When I contacted the seller he told me just to connect the ESC flat connector to channel 2 on the receiver. Any ideas Steve.

It is only Tamiya ESCs that connect to the receiver with both a 2 pin BATT connector, and also a 3 pin CH2 connector.

Nearly all other ESCs power the receiver from only the 3 pin CH2 connector. Knowing the steering servo is working is enough to tell you that the ESC is powering the receiver correctly via CH2.

This sounds like either ESC needs to have the setup run, or there is a problem with the motor. Check that the motor will work connected directly to a battery, if that's all good, then run the ESC setup. You may need to find out what the ESC is so you can get a manual for it so you know how to run the setup procedure.

Motor is fine. No identification on the ESC so I can't search on line for set up procedures. Can't see any reset type button just a red led. Any thoughts.

Holy thread revival time. Have wired up Tamiya TEU-106 BK TWIN MOTOR esc for the longest time and just want to check I am doing it right example below.

Yellow esc wire to yellow motor wire

Yellow esc wire to yellow motor wire

Blue esc wire to green motor wire

Blue esc wire to green motor wire

Basically I connect + to + and - to - I assume this is right lol

It's a shame they can't just match up in colour, it would be so much simpler!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SNAKEBITE said:

It's a shame they can't just match up in colour, it would be so much simpler!

Amen to that. Have done it this way for years with numerous Clods/ Juggs/ TXT's none have blown up yet or caught on fire so I guess it must be right!

depends on the truck

if both motors driving a single pinion ala txt2 style, they yes, yellow to yellow, blue to green/blue/what ever color is there.

if setting for a clod, front motor goes yellow to yellow, blue to green, rear goes yellow to green, blue to yellow