Will16

Land Rover Scaler, Army Style!

Hello everyone,

My new project is an British Army Land Rover Defender 90, more specifically a 244 Signals Squadron Landy. I found a load of my dads old pictures and decided I'd base it on one of the Landys he used to drive. The chassis I brought earlier in the year and the body I got for Christmas. I need to box in the rear windows and roof, modify the front end and modify the interior. Here is my inspiration-

Inspiration_zpsa602c21f.jpg

The Body-

Body_zpse31fbb5d.jpg

The Chassis-

Chassis_zps4e18eab1.jpg

Chassis2_zps4aa883db.jpg

Many Thanks,

Will

• Like 1

Very cool project Will! Keep us posted on the progress! What exactly is that chassis that you are starting with?

OSR

It looks like an RC4WD Geland with the bumpers off? I could be wrong.

Spent a lot of time in the army landy in my day, can't say ive seen anyone do an army version, so looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Thanks Guys!

I've no idea what the chassis is! The guy I brought it from said it was from RC Offroad? It could be a X-Trail chassis though.

I've also too looked around for other Army Landys but havnt found another

Well, it’s been ages since I worked on this. Two sets of GCSE’s, and numerous other project and commitments meant this was left in a cupboard in my room for 6 months! Well, as I’ve free for the summer now, I dug it out, and got working on it. I started the day by boiling my wheels o get the Proline Flat Irons off, and to paint and fit the Dirt Grabbers. I only needed to boil 2 wheels, so I stuck the first in and waited. After 5 minutes, I noticed it had gone mutated! It’s blown out of shape :/. So for the other I prize t off with a screw driver. I did some styrene modelling, first blocked in the rear windows, then built the platforms for the wing radio boxes, then built one radio box. Also made the radio pole holders on the side of the Landy and the spare wheel bonnet mounting. For the interior, I built a bulkhead, which is present on the older defenders, waste of time as no one will see it! I also broke out the oven cleaner to get the chrome off the grill and vents. Finally, I also brought a Scorpion Tank. Same era as the Landy, and was only £4, but it has no tracks. Only problem is that it is Action Man 1/6th scale, and I didnt judge its size at the car boot sale. Both are far from done but are getting there!

IMG_5464_zpsefe775c8.jpg

Grill and Headlight Surrounds-

IMG_5465_zpsbab86032.jpg

Radio Box and Bonnet Wheel Mount-

IMG_5466_zps2c3260c9.jpg

Sunroof Blanking Plate and Van Sides-

IMG_5468_zpsebbacedc.jpg

Bulkhead-

IMG_5469_zpsc18eaf27.jpg

Wheels-

IMG_5470_zps31bbbec8.jpg

The Deformed Wheel!-

IMG_5471_zps400c4041.jpg

Scorpion-

IMG_5472_zpsc0e17545.jpg

IMG_5473_zps53017b23.jpg

Will

Those action man Scorpians were great. It's possible you could get 1/6 Stuart tracks to fit and look pretty close to scale.

I've not done much more work on this as have been away, but did some today. Last week some goodies arrived in the form of a scale rear crossmember and fuel filler, from eBay seller don_jarr. I believe he is a member on here also. Sure, its cheating, but they were very good for the price. I also brought 2 new wheels from Hong Kong. I prefer these to the RC4WD ones as they are cheaper and have the correct amount slots. I painted them and added valve stems. On the crossmember I have made some bumperettes, which protect the rear of the vehicle and have made a 24V plug point. I have also started on making the lever door handles. Only did the rear door yet as needed to fill the side door handles. Finally, I painted the rear diff cover white. They were painted like this for night time convoy driving.

Crossmember, Bumperettes and 24V Plug.

IMG_5474_zpsaa2e1748.jpg

Rear door lever handle-

IMG_5475_zpsa038cc38.jpg

Fuel Filler-

IMG_5476_zps80b1f854.jpg

Wheel with Valve Stem-

IMG_5477_zps1231e881.jpg

Painted Diff Cover-

IMG_5479_zps1079a50f.jpg

Will

• Like 1

great build thread , love the landy , thanks for sharing , waiting for your next update

Nice detail pieces, I especially like the tyre valve stem, might give that a go myself. I do wonder how it'll stand upto pushing through a bit of vegetation though.

Thanks guys! Comments like those help me through the boredom of sanding and filling, etc!

The valve stems should be ok as they are really short bits of solid plastic rod. I pushed them through holes that were only just large enough and secured with plastic weld.

• Like 1

Are you going to use this once its done as it already looks to be destined for the shelf?

@ SteveU30 - Yes it will be run. I dont see the point in not using a vehicle you just put alot of effort into. I'm planning to take it on holiday to the Lake District to have some fun :D

Carrying on with this today, not done a whole lot as lack of enthusiasum! Sanding filler is THE worst job ever! I went to a car boot sale this morning, and saw a small figure in combat gear. For only £1 I couldn’t say no! With his legs cut a bit he is perfect for the Rover. I’ve named him Jeff! He is going to need some work though, as he is a Marine, but needs to be Signals! Then I finished the older type dash, converted the doors to lever type, filled the rear lights in, removed the triangle above the rear door, filled one of the alpine roof windows.

Meet Jeff-

IMG_5481_zps88daa39b.jpg

Dash-

IMG_5482_zpsafe39fd9.jpg

Lever Doors-

IMG_5484_zps7a562b9e.jpg

IMG_5483_zps85354af6.jpg

Filled Alpine Window-

IMG_5485_zps4f4b0de5.jpg

Modded Rear-

IMG_5486_zpsb981e78f.jpg

Done lol!

IMG_5487_zps928817da.jpg

Will

• Like 1

Looking very good so far. Are we sure Jeff is the right scale though? He looks a bit big to my eye.

Yeh, Jeff is slightly too large, but he does look alright in the Landy. I estimate he is about a 1/8 or 1/7 scale. I may just use his combats though as I have found a nice driver online that should be even more perfect!

• Like 1

thanks for the update will great work on the handles , think he looks more like a brian than a jeff tho :P

thanks for the update will great work on the handles , think he looks more like a brian than a jeff tho :P

Thanks mate. He told me he was called jeff, though his past is shifty :ph34r:

I did more on the Landy today. I painted the bulkhead, made a ariel and pot for the wing box, filled in other alpine window, painted the rear window seals, fitted cylinders for the raised lights, drew up some decals for it and make a fire extinguisher and mount. I'm out of primer, so I'll get some tomorrow and it should be in green paint by the end of the day! Then I got bored and made some sliding windows for the Land Rover.
Closed-
IMG_5515_zps846ace91.jpg
Open-
IMG_5516_zps2574ac8e.jpg
Workings-
IMG_5517_zpsbe001ec0.jpg
Pot and Ariel-
IMG_5518_zps054ada82.jpg
Fire Extinguisher (Cage needs painting) and window seals-
IMG_5519_zps4bcf8d5f.jpg
Thanks,
Will
  • Like 1

I've started painting it but no pictures. On another forum it was pointed out that the front doors have square corners, which I completly forgot about the square corner windows. They will have to be altered after paint. I have mounted the fire extinguisher and made a Haynes manual and maps. The extinguisher is in the inccorrect place, but its where it was on our Ex-RAF Landy, so I thought why not!

Extinguisher-

IMG_5527_zps01f8a3a1.jpg

Maps-

IMG_5526_zpsa9741ecf.jpg

Will

• Like 1

Loving your work so far, the attention to detail is fantastic! I still can't believe you're actually gonna run it though.

Well, I painted the body green weeks ago, but only got the black camo down today. I've started adding on the accessories to the body. I still need to do the lights, and a few other little things, then I need to get the chassis working again. Heres the body and accessories-

IMG_5589_zpsa628b301.jpg

IMG_5590_zpsaeb5b418.jpg

Potty, ariel and flag, and spare wheel.

IMG_5591_zps7c0ceaa0.jpg

Rear-

IMG_5592_zps77486328.jpg

Front bumper and Plate and rear crossmember and red 24V plug-

IMG_5593_zpsdb55a1b6.jpg

Will

Love the Defender and particularly the British Army ones.

You have done a fantastic job with this. Very impressive.

Cannot wait to see it all come together.

Wow, outstanding work!

Thanks!

Love the Defender and particularly the British Army ones.

You have done a fantastic job with this. Very impressive.

Cannot wait to see it all come together.

Thank you!

Well, I finished up the body today, made some body mounts and got the chassis rolling. Unfortunately, I had to cut the footwells out to get the body not to look like a monster truck! I put the body on the chassis and took some pictures. All I need now is a driver. I also added a scale model of my dog on the passenger seat!

IMG_5596_zpsd12e8d6a.jpg

IMG_5598_zpsbcf1e8aa.jpg

IMG_5599_zpsc2d4474e.jpg

IMG_5597_zps1351bd9b.jpg

My Favourite-

IMG_5600_zps37803f37.jpg

Will

• Like 1