djmcnz

TRF511 Chassis Upgrade Set (84315)

So mine just arrived, who else is getting one?

It's a bit of a bummer that you have to trim some of the stock plastic parts, they should have included re-moulded ones in the upgrade kit (it's only 3 small parts).

But the kicker is the instructions suggest to "cut" an aluminium part from the stock kit! How on Earth are they expecting the majority to do this? Utter madness.

TRF511%20Chassis%20Upgrade%20Set%20(8431

this is really only for the hard core racers of which there are very few of us on tamiyaclub. It is a shame that so many TRF kits get taken by the collectors and never used for their main purpose.

I'm far from a "hard core" racer nowadays but I get your point, the differences will be marginal and will probably only benefit a very few. I'm looking forward to see if I can actually "feel" the difference.

Well mine gets thrashed so, at least in this case, I'm not hoarding! :)

And yes, there are far more takers on oOple for this.

...But the kicker is the instructions suggest to "cut" an aluminium part from the stock kit! How on Earth are they expecting the majority to do this? Utter madness.

This is VERY normal for competition chassis. If you had a close look at any factory drivers cars, you would find all sorts of hand customized parts on board. You should see the crazy mods to the motor mount that were necessary to bring my 415MSXX up to final race trim. And even the day after Tamiya released the 416, Marc, Victor & Jilles were cutting bits to help tune it. These guys are still hacking up 417's to get the most out of them. Here's the current motor mount hack:

714478d1298829355-tamiya-trf417-cut-motor-mount.jpg

PS: You should post the instructions so we can see. :D

Here's the "offending" step... BD20 is aluminium...

TRF511_Upgrade_Alu.jpg

"This is VERY normal for competition chassis."

Not out of the box it isn't... aluminium stuff should fit, if it needs to be a different shape then include it in the box. :angry:

That's not cutting aluminium. That's 15 seconds with a Dremel or 2 minutes with a small file.

That's not cutting aluminium. That's 15 seconds with a Dremel or 2 minutes with a small file.

Then anodising it blue again... ;)

I'm not complaining about the effort, just the principle... if a TRF kit came with aluminium parts you had to cut/grind/file people would consider that unacceptable, I just don't see how this is any different. They should have included a new part.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

But seriously.... If you're worried about the stupid blue color, buy yourself a Turquoise sharpie (not Aqua). It's an EXACT color match to Tamiya's anodized blue. I own one for this purpose.

FinePointMarker_Turquoise.jpg

BTW: Upgrade kits have made you shave things for years now. I remember having to shave suspension blocks on a 415 to clear the updated steering. Time to be a big boy and break out that file.

• Like 1

Step 13 of the MSX MRE & Step 12 of the MSXX have you file the steering bell cranks to clear the belt.

http://www.tamiyausa...roduct-id=49394

http://www.tamiyausa...roduct-id=49419

Step 12 of the MSXX MRE says to shave suspension mounts when not using the kit setting.

http://www.tamiyausa...roduct-id=42104

This is the exact same as the instructions telling you to file your carbon chassis plate in order to recess round-cell packs. They are not asking the impossible. These are advanced kits for the advanced enthusiast.

• Like 1

If you're worried about the stupid blue color

Not at all, you won't be able to see it and that part is prone to battle scars anyway.

BTW: Upgrade kits have made you shave things for years now. I remember having to shave suspension blocks on a 415 to clear the updated steering. Time to be a big boy and break out that file.

I believe you and stand corrected. It doesn't change my opinion that they should have included a refined part in this upgrade though, it's a "why not?" thing for me given the RRP of ~220USD.

It's not going to stop me using it though!

I agree that's just not acceptable for something in that price and quality range. I think Tamiya skimped on the part and rushed it out. Even cheap aluminum hop-up parts from China doesn't have that issue.

• Like 1

Sorry all for the necro post! Do any of you still have this and want to get rid of it?

Oooh! Blast from the past. So many memories rushing back.

HahHa yeah man!!! I was deep into the 801xs at this time, I’d still be running them if 1/8 was still big by me. It’s not and I want to stick to tamiya so 10 year old car it is!