I'll start by declaring that there's something wrong with me.

I've had one of those moments where I've become obsessed with a vehicle that isn't already made in the form of R/C.

This one:

image.jpeg.50d33add5113dc750288dc14a81f9471.jpeg

The plan is to use a CC01 as the chassis platform.

The problem is that as far as I know there's no one who makes a 1988 Nissan hardbody (uh..hard body) in 1/10th scale.

I've managed to find a (close enough) 3D render of the truck online, with the intention of having it 3D printed, but I was advised by someone more knowledgeable, that even with the model, there'd be plenty of work to be done before it's printed.

I've also got a bunch of 1/14..? scale Tyco bandit bodies that I've been thinking of 3D scanning and then chopping out the extra cab, but I really have no skill at all (or experience) in 3D modelling or scanning so I'm open to any other suggestions, or offers or what have you, to get this darned thing built and off my "I wonder if I could make that" list.

Wouldn't the Stadium Blitzer body be a close aproxomation? You could cut the bed and roll bar out and make a proper bed and the roll bar from styrene.

Wouldn't the Stadium Blitzer body be a close aproxomation? You could cut the bed and roll bar out and make a proper bed and the roll bar from styrene.

Technically, the King Cab body would be an even closer approximation, but I was holding out for a hard shell, rather than chopping up a lexan spare.

How about making a 3D wooden mold and work your way around it with styreen plasticard?

3D printing that size will cost a fortune on the material alone and I am not sure if the 'affordable' printshops even do that big a size.

nice car though.

I may just install and attempt to teach myself Maya again. I always do better when I have an objective. If only everything was as easy as photoshop.

Can't say I have any good advice, but I encourge you to go for it cause I'd love to see the finished project.

Progress so far:

I've downloaded the mesh from the site linked above, and I've managed to clip out the bottom of the cab and remove the front wheels with Meshlab. still have to cut out the windows and remove the front wheelwells before I try my hand at modelling (just downloaded 123D so I can change the front grill). The bed might need some careful thinking since the CC01 doesn't really have a whole lot of room for a drop bed.

I guess I could paint that up like the desert runner, but it's a way different truck :(

I think this may be my project for the year (and it'll finally get me to learn how to model in 3D)

Ya that ones kinda surfer dude material.

This ones quite a bit closer.

http://www.ebay.com/...8540#vi-content

3d sounds like fun, have you found somebody to print it?

I'm thinking Shapeways since according to this thread they're capable of printing 650x350x550mm (which is plenty big enough if I do the cab and bed in two parts)

I did some more on the cab in Meshlab last night. Still looking for a better free modelling software since 123D doesn't support any of Meshlab's filetypes (even though 123D is by Autodesk and I'm saving my projects as 3D Studio files - Also by Autodesk) I'll add pics to this post when I get home.

Edit - Just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QU_PEUckXc

This is a very cool project Sayer, I'm a big fan of early nissans, I can't believe there's not a 1/10 old school hard body Patrol. You should see if sideways can do you a discount for bulk and see if there's an interest in selling a few, unless of course you want an exclusive B)

Thanks. good idea, but I don't really know what I'm doing yet, so I think I may hold off on orders until I've got it closer to done ;)

That's cool man, I'm in no rush I've no idea what price you would have to sell for to make it worth while, but it might get me one step closer to a boxy 80's patrol, so it was worth a little nudge :lol: . I'll keep an eye on your progress anyway I find it all really interesting getting from drawing board/ screen to something you can hold in your hands, been looking at all sorts of build processes/materials, headquakes wooden ones are amazing to me.

That's cool man, I'm in no rush I've no idea what price you would have to sell for to make it worth while, but it might get me one step closer to a boxy 80's patrol, so it was worth a little nudge :lol: . I'll keep an eye on your progress anyway I find it all really interesting getting from drawing board/ screen to something you can hold in your hands, been looking at all sorts of build processes/materials, headquakes wooden ones are amazing to me.

Yeah I was amazed someone hadn't produced one of these already. The main issue is mesh thickness. since apparently 3D printing requires watertight meshes and as seen in the picture, the mesh has no thickness. I'm investigating ways to get the thickness currently, so we'll see.

Thank god for Rhinoceros and its wonderful mesh offset function. I could have this printed right now, (well the cab anyway) if I'd fixed the grille. (using a free version so I can only save 5 times - so I'm going to need to do modelling elsewhere)

spacer.png

The front grille is wrong. It's a Terrano one, not King Cab one.

Terrano was a shorter King Cab with a crew cab and no bed in the rear end.

Max

The front grille is wrong. It's a Terrano one, not King Cab one.

Terrano was a shorter King Cab with a crew cab and no bed in the rear end.

Max

Yeah I know I have to fix it. Also the fenders need to be flared

Arise from your grave!

Hi guys, I'm digging up this old thread to see if anyone with better 3D modeling skills than me (read: any), would be interested in helping me get this hairbrained idea finished.