BigSteve

Re release news

I don't believe it possibe.

Astute had too much problems, overengineered and too much fragile, too much. No way.

Madcap is too basic, there's the DT-02 chassis that cover that segment.

The only possible is the Super Astute but the car is race oriented with 23 years over the project. At the end remember that Tamiya did re release another race oriente vintage 2WD, the Dyna Storm, younger and one lightyear faster than the Super Astute.

Astute serie I like too much but they have their limits. Anyway never say never.

Max

I have a strong feeling the Astute and/or Madcap will be coming. Probably not this year though. Just a gut feeling.

I don't believe it possibe.

Astute had too much problems, overengineered and too much fragile, too much. No way.

They re-released the Rough Rider, Sand Scorcher and Avante. An Astute is built like a Trojan Horse compared to those three.

• Like 1

My wish list is 959/Celica GrB, Monster Beetle (ORV chassis) and the Mountaineer.

The problem is not the complexity of the model but its fragility.

Astute is too much fragile, really too much. If you can, please, read my articles* about it:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=116410&sid=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=116641&sid=24

Astute is a beautiful car, I love it a lot but in truth is a failed project. It would be a race car but if you want to drive it for more than 2 minutes you must do a downgrade with Madcap parts. Even with the Super Astute not all problems was solved and the fragility of the project remains in some parts. For these reasons I believe the Astute is a no re-releaseable car without many structural changes. And this is a nonsense imho.

I'm sorry for this but sometime life is bad.

Max

*I'm writing these days the 3th one and will finish with the 4th in the next future.

They re-released the Rough Rider, Sand Scorcher and Avante. An Astute is built like a Trojan Horse compared to those three.

I really hope they re-release the Porsche 959 but I have seen a few people saying they might have problems with the licence regarding the Porsche body. I don't know if that is a factor or not. I think they can get round the 'Rothmans' decals by using the 'Racing' decals.

It is certainly the kit I am hanging out for more than any others because I had one when I was a kid - it will be a multiple purchase if it ever happens!

I hope one day Tamiya re release some TA01 TA02 and TA03 Kits with Original Boxart and Original Chassis like the Group C Mercedes, Jaguar and Mazda. I am a RC Touring Car Fan and for me the 1990s was Tamiyas golden Touring Car Era. At the Moment Ebay is the only way to get these Kits and this way is very expensive :mellow:

My wish list is 959/Celica GrB, Monster Beetle (ORV chassis) and the Mountaineer.

you can turn the re re bruiser into a mounty. Tamiya included the rear panel in the re re bruiser and the roll bar can be sourced easily...except i cannot tell you how but is somewhere in the forum. you got 1 out of 3 from your list

I think the Astute will come, if there is any fragility Tamiya have changed the compound of their plastic as evident in their rere orv rear arms, and 24 year old plastic is far more brittle than new stuff. They might make small changes but the big question is whether they keep the ball diff, change it to make it more reliable, or replace it with the super astutes planetary gear diff.

I would love a Blazer and a Porsche 959, but I would be happy owning the originals, I can't see me forking out the coin for rere's.

I changed the Astute ball diff with Super Astute planetary diff. I used Avante modified diff gear that inside is identical to Super Astute internal diff gears. The result has been the quick breakage of the iddle gear. The ball diff has some slippage and protect the gears.

Astite diff slips too much but this problem is easy to solve. Change the Astute diff housings with the machined hard alloy Egress ones and you solve the problem. You only must work on one side of the Egress diff housing.

About the fragility I can say that yes, Tamiya can use better and stiffer plastic parts but the question is always the same: why?

Max

I think the Astute will come, if there is any fragility Tamiya have changed the compound of their plastic as evident in their rere orv rear arms, and 24 year old plastic is far more brittle than new stuff. They might make small changes but the big question is whether they keep the ball diff, change it to make it more reliable, or replace it with the super astutes planetary gear diff.

I would love a Blazer and a Porsche 959, but I would be happy owning the originals, I can't see me forking out the coin for rere's.

Looks like the appeal of the 959 (shell) is still strong

Carisma's latest release;

Carisma-M48S-Porsche-959-1.jpg

Carisma-M48S-Porsche-959-2.jpg

• Like 1

Hotshot II. Can pretty much put one together from existing re-releases, just need to re-re the bodyshell, d parts, and the box. Better looking and a lot less effort than the Pigwig.. ;)

Looks like the appeal of the 959 (shell) is still strong

Carisma's latest release;

Carisma-M48S-Porsche-959-1.jpg

Carisma-M48S-Porsche-959-2.jpg

Wasn't this released last year? I'm sure someone mentioned it in an old thread.

Confirmation once again though that there is nothing decal-wise to stop Tamiya from re-releasing their own 959.

Wasn't this released last year? I'm sure someone mentioned it in an old thread.

Confirmation once again though that there is nothing decal-wise to stop Tamiya from re-releasing their own 959.

I quite like the way Carisma have gotten around the Rothmans issue, on first glance at that angle I didn't even notice the fact it wasn't writing!

• Like 1

I changed the Astute ball diff with Super Astute planetary diff. I used Avante modified diff gear that inside is identical to Super Astute internal diff gears. The result has been the quick breakage of the iddle gear. The ball diff has some slippage and protect the gears.

Astite diff slips too much but this problem is easy to solve. Change the Astute diff housings with the machined hard alloy Egress ones and you solve the problem. You only must work on one side of the Egress diff housing.

About the fragility I can say that yes, Tamiya can use better and stiffer plastic parts but the question is always the same: why?

Max

Because it would be a rerelease, and I doubt they would change too much so as to keep the nostalgia factor when most of the minor breakages can be remedied with a better blend of plastic. Hey that would mean more A parts for king cab and hilux MR owners, and if the idler gear bracket is stronger then that's good news for those that break them :)

I quite like the way Carisma have gotten around the Rothmans issue, on first glance at that angle I didn't even notice the fact it wasn't writing!

You could probably scan it with a barcode scanner and it would come up with a packet of King Size 20's :lol:

I would like to explain myself. I would really like if Tamiya re release the Astute or the Super Astute but I'm not so sure is this will happen.

Max

Because it would be a rerelease, and I doubt they would change too much so as to keep the nostalgia factor when most of the minor breakages can be remedied with a better blend of plastic. Hey that would mean more A parts for king cab and hilux MR owners, and if the idler gear bracket is stronger then that's good news for those that break them

Very really gets mentioned, but I'd love to see the Ford Ranger SRB get re-released. Surely this would be very easy for Tamiya to arrange, even if it's just for me :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Cant see Tamiya rereleasing Blazing Blazer, they seem to have cheeped out on official licences, no Chevy on Clodbuster etc. fake sponsor decals on re-re's.

I don't think they want to pay to renew certain licence fees' maybe the official company's are demanding to much money to use their name, after all Its a lot to pay out for something that may not sell in these days big RC market' and rereleases only appeal to a small percentage of the RC market, I mean just look at those sand blaster front tyres' would it have been viable to get the licence and up the price of a kit just to have those tyres? It would put those kits in a price range out of many fans reach!

I know the Sand Scorcher is official licenced but the scorcher is an expensive kit, how much of that price tag goes to VW? non correct body and all' it must have been a gamble!

Perhaps a Blazing Blazer with a slight name change and altered look alike body? but who would want that?

Sand blaster juniors were not a license issue, they did the 915's just fine!

I think licensing will go just as far as the Japanese market is concerned. Since this is Tamiya's domestic market, they will mainly develop, release and re-release those R/C models that are promising to sell well over there. The markets in the US, UK/Europe, Australia and the rest of the world don't seem to produce a significant input to Tamiya's portfolio.

My guess is, the interests of Japanese customers may have changed from the '80s to today. Some of Tamiya's icons, e.g. Sand Scorcher, Hot Shot and Frog, are still well regarded, while others (959, Big Wig, SRB F-150 Ranger) just do not stir up enough interest anymore over there to justify going through licensing negotiations and re-release productions. Pure manufacturing costs seem to be less of an issue, as you can see with the re-releases of the Bruiser, Sand Scorcher and Avante.

Especially the Tyrrel P34 Six-wheeler and the XR311 must be extremely popular amongst the Japanese, since these rather odd models have been re-released not only once, but several times.

This is just pure guess, but it seems to be comprehensible enough to explain the re-release and licensing situation. Don't you think so?

Looks like no more re-releases this year then. The show is next weekend and I think tamiyablog would have reported it by now.

In fact there are hardly any RC releases at all. Quite unusual for Tamiya, that, at this time of year.

2014, the year of the 959 & Blazer pleeease. :)

The carsima 959 really has my attention, especially since Tamiya has yet to re-re theirs.

The only thing that drives me nuts is the wheelbase of these 1/8 scale rally / GT cars. The Carisma is 280mm which adds yet a new wheelbase to a field that contains 300, 320, 360mm.

I also don't like the fact that they're merely diversifying the usage of their buggy chassis. I'd like to see an 1/8 dedicated TC chassis, the evolution of the TGX/TGR in electric version. The demand is there, Tamiya just needs to wake up and grab it.

There will be news regarding the next wave of releases on Tamiyablog & Mokei Kagaku's Facebook page within the next 10 days....so what's coming next? Another huge re-release? Or maybe they will cool off for a little while and focus on all new models?

The final "biggies" yet to arrive...

959 & Celica

Blazing Blazer & Hilux

Monster Beetle & Blackfoot

Astute

Super Champ

Ranger XLT

Top Force Evolution

Bigwig

Mountaineer

What's the most likely out of that little lot? Bigwig and Mountaineer IMO.

What's the most desired on these forums? Gotta be the 959, surely?

Maybe it will be something a little more obscure though. Nissan King Cab? Falcon?

The anticipation is fun, regardless of the outcome. :)

• Like 1