Sign in to follow this  
HomerJHandley

B&Q plastic 4 tier shelf : ideal size for 1:10 models (on sale at the minute)

All, just a heads up, B&Q have a plastic 4 tier shelf for just shy of £15, and it is the ideal size for 1:10 models, which is also handy ;)

Probably not wife/girlfriend friendly in the house but seems quite steady and large enough to hold most models (25kg per shelf) and wide enough.

The clod does stick over the edge by about 3/5 of a tyre but TBH the clod will probably be too large for most things where a std 1:10 fits nicely :)

Not much more to say really :)

Height (mm): 1310 Length (mm): 610 Width (mm): 300

http://www.diy.com/n...?skuId=10187214

IMAG0969_zpsd787358d.jpg

Nice find! I was going to get one like this from Aldi, but this is cheaper by £5, so thats a result!!

How sturdy are they? I've had similar shelves and they wobbled like mad when anyone went near them.

seem reasonable once stuff is on, but i have screwed it to the wall at the top (and is solid now ;)

the floor feet are hollow (with a hole in) and each corner pole is hollow, but it probably wouldnt be too difficult to bung the hole and fill it with something (sand?) so it has heavy feet, as the problem with plastic shelving like this is that it is quite light so will move.

Or maybe a small freezer bag (or double bagged for less risk of splitting) filled with something and then stuffed in the feet may also work to add ballast to the base.

But generally, anything this height either gets physically attached at the top to a wall, or has something on the front feet so that it is leaning slightly towards the wall, so if it was to fall, the back would need to be lifted by a small amount before it could become unbalanced.

be careful as one B&Q i went in earlier (for a £10 powered screwdriver) had them on one shelf for the full price, but by the entrance for another.

They are also on 4 for 3, but unlikely someone would need 4 of them!

How sturdy are they? I've had similar shelves and they wobbled like mad when anyone went near them.

My dad is shelf mad, he bought me some when fixing up my house for a storage area. If you use a shelf as a base, there fine, if you just rely on the legs then your playing with fire.

I use this site for some of my shelving, good quality, metal and wood, also there boltless.

www.bigdug.co.uk

They did 3 units for £99 some time ago and ive got allsorts of stuff on them in the garage.

If, like me you have a workshop/dumping ground in your garage, they do a space saver shelving unit, 6ft wide and 3 shelves with the ability of parking a car just underneath the first, its a great idea.

For budget, the plastic units are pretty good though.

• Like 1