Rockcrusher

Tamiya's sexiest buggy

Unfortunately looks and function don't seem to go together. I like the classic look but the lack of function keeps me from really wanting one. Not Tamiya but I have a B4,1 here and it looks like road kill. Way too flat and wide to look good but it works great. I'd go with a TFR just because funtion has too much appeal for me.

<p><p>

TRF501X easily the best looking Buggy,http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img16972_12052009190751_4.jpg

Dear me. I hope you you said that as a joke!

<p>

I think this one has a certain appeal.

501.jpg

I honestly think these things look like they have been run over by a 1:1. Hideous, absolutely hideous.</p>

I would say the late 80's Tamiya buggies were the best. There is a long list, like some have said, the Hot Shot is pretty much a perfect 4WD car, followed up by the Hot Shot II. The Bruiser is pretty amazing along with the Blackfoot. I can see a lot of people going with the Avante, it's a very sexy car. For me though the Frog has always been special, and just recently I built a Wild One, I had never seen one in the flesh, but stared at it in catalogs, and at my NIB one in my hobby room for hours, but none of those did it justice. Seeing the Wild one built and sitting on my self, it's such a beautiful and realistic looking car. I shouldn't have waited 20+ years to have a built one, but at least it was worth the wait.

John

I am an avid racer, so I have a housefull of modern race buggies. I heard someone remark about them that they are "UFO's" in look. All performance and no "soul" to them. The early Tamiya buggies are ALL "soul". It's the reality factor that makes them so appealing. You could actually build one 1:1 and have it look spot on and still work. Same goes for F1. I have watched F1 since I saw my first race on TV at age 9. Sure todays cars are amazing technically, but they are ugly ( except maybe the McLaren do to not having a "broken" nose) but man they can move and grip like nobodies business. The earlier cars in the '80s, they too had the "look" and "soul" just like our Tamiyas from the '80s.

The futuristic stuff can look great, same as some of the old stuff looking terrible (Frog is a good example of a terrible looking car) Obviously its all in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

The futuristic stuff can look great, same as some of the old stuff looking terrible (Frog is a good example of a terrible looking car) Obviously its all in the eye of the beholder.

True, that's why my choice on the last page was my avatar, the immortal Avante.

I really really like my Avante 2001 - but for some reason, the speed and handling and tech of the DF03MS really makes it shine in my book. As one of the gurus at KTM said, if something ugly becomes fast, it becomes beautiful.

And I don't think the DF03MS is ugly to begin with (-:

I don't get this thing about "soul." That too is rather subjective.

I remember back when Grasshoppers and Hornets were all that I could see or all that I could financially hope for, those Hotshots and Frogs sure did look sweet.

As a Tamiya-based RC'er, those Schumachers always looked hella cool to me and if it wasn't called the CAT, it'd be called the Soul. :P

catsx3header.jpg

Come to think of it, looks a lot like my Baldre. :)

I love both the Avante and the Astute - the Avante for its chassis and materials and the Astute for its good looks:

imag2433.jpg

(unfortunately I did not have a picture of the Avante's glorious chassis)

Although I dont like most of the newer buggies (OK, make that all newer buggies), I do like most of the 80s and early 90s. I mentionned the Avante as the sexiest in my opinion, but I also love the 80s Kyoshos: the Optima, the Javelin, and the original Ultima.

This thread is in woeful need of more pictures.

So, another bid for the Durga (not mine):

t2ec16vyke9s7tw38bq8m7h.jpg

t2ec16zse9swm1ibbq8nfff.jpg

Sex on wheels.

imo there´re some super nice buggies out there...

- Egress

- Avante

- Dyna Storm

- Top Force / Top Force Evolution

- TRF501X

- DF-03 MS

I also agree about the Durga.. it looks fantastic with a great paint job.

Another vote for Egress here

- Egress

- Astute

- Dyna Storm

- Durga

These are the sleek and sexy where the Super Champ, Wild One, Hot Shot are more rugged and handsome IMO.

Personally I find the modern buggies impressive but not really sexy.

I can easily see why some people think the grandfather of modern buggies, the Avante, is sexy. the chassis certainly is and the body does have an elegance about it.

But for my the sexiest has to be the Super Champ.

The body is slender and rakish (wheras the Rough Rider is a bit clunky IMHO), the ridiculous camber on the rear wheels always looked purposeful combined with the fundamentally useless spikes, and I just love the oil resevoir and the FS rear bumper.

Of all the wonderful SC's on TC, I think this one by Sayroll is the sexiest.

Superchamp%25203.jpg

Superchamp%25202.jpg

Pure class!

I always thought the good old Sand Rover looks perfect

P9180007.jpg

P1080025.jpg

and another vote for the Rough Rider / Buggy Champ

P8230066.jpg

P8230067.jpg