Sign in to follow this  
Percymon

How To Set Up Four Wheel Steering ?

Dumb question, which i should really know the answer to given how many RC threads i've read in the last 2 years but ....

How do i set up 4 wheel steering on the TLT-1 ??

I have the chassis configured for it with all the correct steering rods etc and servos front and rear - its the electronics i need help with !

Can i pair the two servos together with a Y lead ? If so, will this give the axles steering in opposite directions for tight turns or a crab function ?

If I can't use a Y lead, then I assume i need to run the rear off a third channel which i have on a Hobbyking GT3B transmitter, but the manual gives no info on how this works.

Last Q - what is channel mixing ??

Many thanks

hello Mate . I can only say how it was done on my 4x4x4 . What the guy i bought it from did was to open up the rear servo and swop the motor wires over . Then he used a Y lead to pair both the front and rear together . If its not done this way and you want it to be able to crab i guess the only way is to use channel 3 to steer the rear. Channel mixing is usually something the RC flyers use on their aircraft to configure ie rudder and ailerones working together

Dumb question, which i should really know the answer to given how many RC threads i've read in the last 2 years but ....

How do i set up 4 wheel steering on the TLT-1 ??

I have the chassis configured for it with all the correct steering rods etc and servos front and rear - its the electronics i need help with !

Can i pair the two servos together with a Y lead ? If so, will this give the axles steering in opposite directions for tight turns or a crab function ?

If I can't use a Y lead, then I assume i need to run the rear off a third channel which i have on a Hobbyking GT3B transmitter, but the manual gives no info on how this works.

Last Q - what is channel mixing ??

Many thanks

do you have a hacked or stock gt3b ?

I think you'll need a Y-lead with channel reverse. You can get 'em fairly cheap on ebay.

do you have a hacked or stock gt3b ?

Stock GT3B

Reality is i'm quite happy to lock the rear axle (as i did with my modded Clod, but since it came to me configured to 4WS I thought I'd try it out for the fun of it ;) 

I think you'll need a Y-lead with channel reverse. You can get 'em fairly cheap on ebay.

Seems the easiest option - will give it a try for the sake of a few quid - Thanks Rob

Stock GT3B

Reality is i'm quite happy to lock the rear axle (as i did with my modded Clod, but since it came to me configured to 4WS I thought I'd try it out for the fun of it ;)

Dave if you want to try 4 wheel steer the easy way is to buy a Y lead with channel reverse as said- a lot less hassel then modifiying the rear servo . AND yes it is aheck of a lot of fun .

The GT3B channel 3 isn't proportional so it doesn't work well for steering. The channel mixing is pretty cool for steering if you have a transmitter set up for V tail since it's a flight option. However it's pretty hard to get used to in reverse since a plane doesn't have reverse. I use a 4 channel on the clod crawler so I have full control of the 4 wheel steering and that works really well.

I only want to try it for a bit of fun, crawling isn;t my thing.

I've ordered a stock Y lead - i'm hoping that because the servos face in opposite directiosn they will not need the reverse element for tight steering. I'm not bothered about crabbing, or crawling duties

Easiest way is to flip the rear servo horn; if it's pointing down at the front, point it up at the back - as shown in TLT manual ;)

That will make both axles steer the same circle and tighten your turning radius

Just connect 'em into the receiver with a Y lead

Most controllable way is a 4ch stick set and steer each end with it's own stick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZS7TEYj-2M&list=UUMSxmNpoqvbWYHO_vID1xdg&index=13

hi percymon,

you may still have to swap the black and red leads around at the servo plug depending on how you have set it up, remember that with a y lead you will be drawing double current from the receiver , i doubt you will have issues if you are not planning to go crawling , thought i should mention it,

have fun , ;)