Daves956

Juggernaut or mountaineer? pick one

If you had to choose between these two in vintage great condition which would you choose and why?

JUGGERNAUT all the way!

I suppose you're talking about the first version, the black one, are you?

Either way, if you plan to run it or showcase it, the Juggernaut will be better and more exciting.

I am no fan of the Mountaineer, everybody knows that, and the Bruiser looks much better but still those trucks aren't good runners.

And of course, actions speak louder than words. See this:

[media=]

[/media]

I may be biased never having had a mountaineer, but the Jugg looks fantastic, after you asked this I got my Jugg 1 out to look at as I hadn't gazed upon its magnificence for a while and it is truly stunning, it even looks as if it would work well, although as a stock Jugg 1 we all know this is not the case, gearbox and diffs would be spat out nearly immediately! The 1 is definetly not a runner, and unmodified it may even be more scarce than the mountaineer?

The reason I ask is that 2 juggs/ clods and mountaineer just popped up on a local ad board. I have seen them all and just figured they'd never be sold. They'e all in near perfect condition with a load of hop ups. Price is in the eye of the buyer but at best I could do one, no way on the lot. I have a beast of a crawler so the 3 speed truck looked interesting.

I had a near complete rolling chassis for a blazing blazer a long time ago,similar to the mountaineer ,i realy loved the fact it was metal and all very scale looking...and 3 speed.

Worst thing i ever did was sell it as it could have been something realy great. :(

Not very helpfull Dave,but thanks for shoulder to cry on :D

Depends on how much you can get them for, and what you want them for. The mountaineer will have a higher resale value, but a Jugg2 or a clod would make a better runner. Jugg1s are only good for gathering dust on the shelf due to the weak bevel gears used in the transmission, and it's not a cheap path to replace the trans wth some robust. If you can get a Jugg2 for a good price I would say go for that.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img33435_25052011231430_1.jpg

This is mine with a few minor mods (F350 Hilift shocks, aluminium 4 links, and clod tyres)

All 4 are 3 speed and listed at the same price with radios. I'm pretty sure the left 2 are juggs with clod bodies.

mountaineer.jpg

Left to right are Jugg. bruiser, mountaineer and an assorted parts 3 speed

It's not an easy decision, the asking price is 450 US each and I'm sure that's fair but it falls into the area of if I want one of them enough to let something here go. I'm trying to stay away from impulse buys, so I'll think on it some more.

It's not an easy decision, the asking price is 450 US each and I'm sure that's fair but it falls into the area of if I want one of them enough to let something here go. I'm trying to stay away from impulse buys, so I'll think on it some more.

$450 seems a bit steep for a Jugg. A standard Jugg is not 3 speed, is the car a 3 speed chassis with a Jugg shell ?

$450 seems a bit steep for a Jugg. A standard Jugg is not 3 speed, is the car a 3 speed chassis with a Jugg shell ?

I've seen that one and if my memory is correct it's more of a custom than a true Jugg. The bruiser and mountaineer were the only ones that remained stock. I spoke with him yesterday and he was pretty set on the price and not real gung ho to sell them at all. Like I mentioned, it surprised me to see them for sale at all. I went to look at the ad again last night and it had been pulled so maybe the decision to sell has changed. I did see a different bruiser in new condition for the same price and a mammoth for 300.

As interesting as they are, I think for that price I talked myself out of a 3 speed truck for now at least.

I'm still thinking a truck would be a good idea for the collection. I've got the pumpkin, SC10, CC01 unimog and brat but none are really truck material. The Jugg and clod trucks both have that low hanging front end like the CC01 which in my opinion doesn't look right. The Bruiser looks like a real life truck but with the rere the sticker price on the one there isn't a plus. I did some price and picture digging and the prices were fair. All things considered I'd lean more toward the bruiser and mountaineer with the mountaineer a slight bit more truckish body style. It kinda put an idea in my head and sooner or later I'll probably do something. The possible sale of one of these from this location is just a matter of time. I didn't mention how many cars I've bought from there but it's a big number.

I've looked at all the reviews I can find for the mountaineer and they're all positive but every car has it's weak point or drawback. Aside from age what is most likely to break or wear out on one of these?

Or is there something that is badly designed or impossible to find? I still haven't decided on it or ruled it out so all information is a good thing.

Still no word on any issues with the mountaineer but I still did some more digging. One truck that was brought to my attention was the RC4WD pathfinder 2. Similar in looks and configuration so I started looking into it as well, or modifying something to be at least a 2 speed. The pathfinder has a lot of good components but I've heard of problems with the unmarried transfer case. I had the transmission for one in my hands today and it's very well made. It looks like adding a tranny and transfer case is around 250 regardless of which model you start with and most that are worth doing that to are around the 250 mark as well. So maybe not the best idea.

One issue with all vintage Tamiyas is plastic age. Pretty much all of the chassis is steel or at least cast parts so no worries there. I've looked up the going price if the transmission and axles should be a problem. that would be around 300. This leaves the body and plastic bits as potential issues,

Unless there's something else?