alfagta

Hobby King X-car 60A esc

never used the buddy codes before , how do we access them, ?

As far as I know, you log in on the HobbyKing web site and then click on my link?

got it , when someone posts an affiliate link , anyone who uses that link to buy the product within 10 days of the link being posted gets a discount and you get credit .

just ran a pack through my 2wd buggy using the 60A and a 7.5t trinity epic duo2 motor (which is beyond the recommended limit of the esc) and it was a rocket ship ,way faster than the old hobbywing 60a v1.2,, TBH its too much, the slipper clutch was struggling and i could smell it each time it passed me and the spur cover was very soft to the touch ,the slipper did have gold anodise plates they are now very dark gray (will need changed) , will be going back to the 10.5t motor before the next run , you gotta love these little esc's :)

hahaha wish the Sand Scorcher had a conventional motor mounting pad- I'd buy the one I linked for it to try it (just spent $50 on a brand new Traxxas XL2.5 ESC and $12 on a 20T Duratrax motor)

I'm not into the brushless scene yet but this setup looks nice - $56.90- $57.90 3000kv to 43xxkv motors..

http://www.rcmart.co...cPath=1560_1301

they are ok but i dont like the 440 size motors they come with, i have had three and all of them have fractured the rotors when landing from jumps ,i now use the silver trackstar motors ,much nicer build quality and 540 size with oversize rotor shafts and bearings and adjustable timing .

Ok, this is annoying. I've received my ESC and motor and soldered everything together - it ran, but I wanted to check how it's set up in the software. Looked at the Hobbywing v2.1 manual and followed the flashing-LED setting process. Trouble is, the number of options for each stage is NOT the same as in the manual.

One green flash (Running Mode) has 3 options - ok so far. However, 2 green should have 8 options but I only have 4. 3 green should have 6 options but I only get 4. 4 green should have 9 options but I only get 5. You see my issue? I now have no idea what I've set the ESC for as it doesn't follow the manual! Argh!

EDIT: Typical bloke - can't RTFM! A looooong flash equals 5 (so 6 is one long, one short). Daft idea IMO, but there you go.

• Like 1

Ok, this is annoying. I've received my ESC and motor and soldered everything together - it ran, but I wanted to check how it's set up in the software. Looked at the Hobbywing v2.1 manual and followed the flashing-LED setting process. Trouble is, the number of options for each stage is NOT the same as in the manual.

One green flash (Running Mode) has 3 options - ok so far. However, 2 green should have 8 options but I only have 4. 3 green should have 6 options but I only get 4. 4 green should have 9 options but I only get 5. You see my issue? I now have no idea what I've set the ESC for as it doesn't follow the manual! Argh!

EDIT: Typical bloke - can't RTFM! A looooong flash equals 5 (so 6 is one long, one short). Daft idea IMO, but there you go.

:lol:

thats why i opted for the usb dongle , if you have a hobbywing LED or LCD program card from even a V1.1 esc ,you can use that to set it up .

No card or dongle - I believed I'd set it once and never touch it again!

However, I'm properly stuck now. With the ESC defaulted and then set to Forward/Reverse mode (no brake or brains, so you can throw it straight into reverse), Frankenscorcher goes forwards and backwards. With it set to Forward/Brake/Reverse mode, it goes forwards and brakes but will not go into reverse - even though I've been double-tapping it to death; no joy.

yep, the usb dongle makes life a lot easier - the flashing light sequence used to be bad enough when there were only 5 things to alter, but these days it must be an absolute nightmare.

No card or dongle - I believed I'd set it once and never touch it again!

However, I'm properly stuck now. With the ESC defaulted and then set to Forward/Reverse mode (no brake or brains, so you can throw it straight into reverse), Frankenscorcher goes forwards and backwards. With it set to Forward/Brake/Reverse mode, it goes forwards and brakes but will not go into reverse - even though I've been double-tapping it to death; no joy.

sounds like you are using the forward/reverse crawler type profile , go back into settings and see if there is a third drive profile , there should be .

rather than the dongle you could grab one of these , in the uk and a very good price too , use it with hobby wing software and update the box to V3.2_121204 and you will be amazed at what you can achieve with set up on these esc's, :)

sounds like you are using the forward/reverse crawler type profile , go back into settings and see if there is a third drive profile , there should be .

There is a 3rd profile - that's the crawler one that works in reverse but without a brake. Profile 1 is forward/brake only and profile 2 is forward/brake/reverse. 1 and 3 work as you would expect, but 2 has no reverse.

i suspect that to be a radio issue , all trims ,epa etc are set to the correct values and the throttle direction set to 'rev' ?

Throttle direction is set to normal and two of the three wires to the motor are crossed. With this set up the car goes forward when it's supposed to and reverse is slower (like it's supposed to be), so things seem right. Also, the ESC light shows that it's in neutral (goes out) and forward/reverse (comes on). Finally, it works in crawler mode, so it's definitely getting the "go forward" and "go backward" commands from the TX.

the esc must have the throttle direction on the TX set to reverse then recalibrate , you may have to swap the motor cables again , see if that works ,

the esc must have the throttle direction on the TX set to reverse then recalibrate , you may have to swap the motor cables again , see if that works ,

Set TX to reverse and recalibrated. Same results; works in crawler mode, no reverse in forward/brake/reverse mode.

the only other thing that may cause a problem is if you have ABS enabled on the radio ,,if your radio is all good then i think its a firm ware issue in the esc , re-flashing the firmware should sort it, it sounds as if the hardware is all good as you are getting reverse in some profiles , and brake in others , might be worth getting the dongle from HK or the lcd box from bigshark rc uk, i linked to above ,

The radio is a re-badged FS-GT2 so I don't think it has ABS. It's annoying that I have to spend more money and wait for a shipment from the States (when I just put another one in yesterday). I'll give it some thought and then order the dongle if I don't have any luck.

yeah mate that does suck, i cant fathom why it would give reverse in one profile but not another , its why i have been getting you to check the radio , i am wondering if setting the reverse position just short of the end stop on the radio during calibration might work, if your tx isnt quite getting to full 100% brake then the esc might not allow reverse to be engaged ,

work out the costs and see if you can stretch the funds to the hobbywing box from giantshark rc, its very cheap and in the UK so you could have it pretty quickly and you will then have access to a huge range of firmwares and settings which i think you will find very useful to tune it to your frankenscorcher , V3 mod allows a very tame and smooth set up with a huge turbo boost with turbo delay adjustment at the very top end of the throttle for when conditions allow an extra bit of speed .

hope you find its just a silly thing that has been overlooked .

Thanks for the suggestions, alfagta, but it's still not working. I tried the calibration tweak as well as a completely different TX/RX combo (27Mhz) but got the same results on both. Can't really justify the £20 box; will have to wait for the USB adapter and hope the ESC isn't faulty. I get cogging in forward and reverse by the way; pretty bad at very low speeds.

Just to update anyone else that might experience something similar;

alfagta (top bloke) let me use his USB dongle to upgrade the ESC to the V3 software and fiddle with the various (and numerous) configuration options.

Even with the new firmware, I still couldn't get reverse in Forward/Brake/Reverse mode (only had it in Forward/Reverse or Crawler mode).

I've admitted defeat and returned it to HobbyKing under their RMA procedure. Hopefully it will all work out and I'll have a replacement soon!

HobbyKing UK has confirmed the fault with the ESC and issued a refund for the original purchase price ($25).

However, this isn't enough to replace the unit as it doesn't include outbound postage.

Also, they have not refunded the return postage (which they are obliged to do under UK Distance Selling regulations; remember, I'm dealing with the UK arm now).

Finally, I'm also out of pocket due to having to install the battery and motor connectors on this ESC.

Turns out my value-for-money purchase wasn't such good VFM after all.

Let's see how HobbyKing responds to my request for what I feel they should provide.

Bad luck - hope they improve their offer. an electronic fault could happen on any ESC though, so don't be disheartened by Hobbyking, they've been flawless in my experience.

Hello! ...I bought and already install ESC hobbyking 60A with sensored brushless combo motor type 8.5T 4000kV on my TL01 chassis...I have some issues with calibration...here are my questions:
- first I have a little old transmitter and receiver it is possible that this old "equipement" is not compatible with this ESC?

Acoms Techniplus AP-202/40

Transmitter:  AP-202/40

Receiver:  AR-221/40

- I am not very familiar with some expresions in instructions...meaning of EPA/ATV value? ...which position is "set the throttle trim to 0"...ABS function? ...direction of the throttle channel to REV? ...my setup is like on the picture below...is this ok?
- have anyone some good instructions about ESC calibrating because the manuals form hobbyking are not good.

Thanks for help!

Radio controller.png