djmcnz

Dremel: Cord or Battery, Pros & Cons?

Hi there - so my no-name rotary tool has just died after ~10 years of good service and I need to replace it. Even though I've had good fortune, as have many others, with the off brands I've decided on an actual Dremel this time around. There are some good specials here at the moment and the kits are within my budget.

I've been going back and forward on the cord though and thought I'd reach out for some independent insight.

Essentially I'll be using it for hobby and home handyman tasks, nothing as big as a 1:1 car though for example. Having said this I'd prefer to have more power than I need than to be borderline.

I don't need to be particularly mobile with it as a whole but do need something that's easy to move accurately in a small space, the cord worries me a little there but I do have ample access to power outlets.

I'd have to invest in a second lithium battery if I went cordless as I can't stand a flat battery and this actually makes the price similar for me to a corded version. What are the modern batteries like in terms of run time, stability and consistency?

Are there any other specific pros or cons you guys think are worth me considering?

I'm leaning toward the corded version (tonight anyway) and models I'm looking at are 8200 and 4000.

The tool will likely outlast the batteries, and finding replacement batteries 5-10 years from now could be a challenge. I try to avoid battery-powered tools as much as possible and go for corded tools or hand tools -- no in-between.

i finded the corded version excellent and for those hard to get at jobs a shaft drive makes them easy .

i have a li-ion battery dremel , its great to a point , but, if you are only likly to use in say the garage or shed or even a dedicated rc/hobby work station then the extra power and unlimited run time of the wired version makes it the one to go for, i do plan on getting a wired one for my shed and use the battery one for when i need it to be mobile.

I have both and never use the cordless one, but in my full size hand drills I always use my 19 volt cordless.

I have the corded name-brand Dremel, but it's only the 2-speed model. I like it, but if I had to do it over again I'd spring for one with more speeds. But still corded. Generally, I stay away from battery-powered tools; it always seems the battery is dead right when you need to use the thing. My big orange extension cord never needs charging.

also, if you ever need to use your dremel to perform some extremely "method" re-enactments of Marathon Man then corded is the only way to go.

extremeprep-marathonman-590x350.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a corded Dremel 300-30 last year.

This one -> 412j2bbxoxcl._sl500_arxfbo.jpg

It can be adjusted from 10.000 up to 33.000 RPM. At the lower half of speed steps, I found it lacks torque and must be handled careful depending on the material and size of tool you want to work with. For some more delicate drilling operations I prefer a fine pin vise, though.

The Dremel did a good job so far. But in the long run, I bought additional accessories like the flexible shaft extension (must-have!) as well.

Thanks guys, lot's of good insight there.

I think I'll go for a corded one. If that proves to be the wrong choice (which I do doubt) then I can probably get another no-name cordless one later for €25 to fill the gap.

Again, I appreciate you all taking the time!