Sign in to follow this  
gold682

Sand Scorcher motor cover alignment

Hi,

I was given my father-in-laws Mk1 Sand Scorcher for Xmas. Currently in process of restoring and have sourced most of the original replacement parts I need (apart from the wing mirrors) .

However a couple of questions, if I may :

The transparent motor cover where the motor wires poke through, does not seem to line up correctly with the motor wires when the screw holes are lined up. This seems to cause unneccessary stress on the wires, in fact it's nigh impossible to seat it properly. The motor itaself is the original and works fine. Anyone else have this issue and what can be done without chopping anything!

The front of the car has been glued to the body (cement based by the look). However I want to remove this as it has some damage around that area. Whats the best way without causing more damage to the shell or the front?

Lastly the original front bumper, one of the arms is bent in. Can these be straightened? If so, whats the best method without stressting the plastic?

Cheers

Paul

Hi, Think you could be right regarding the motor. It is certainly an old one thats been in there for 30+ years. Here's a couple of pics of it (black body with red end).

ss_motor.jpg

ss_motor_2.jpg

What motor do I need to search for that will fit the SS without any mods? (assuming this motor is non-standard)

Here is a pic of the front bumper. The bar on the right as you look at the pic is bent in more than the left. Doesnt seem much in the pic but more noticeable in the flesh.

front_bumper.jpg

Cheers

Paul

ss_motor_2.jpg

ss_motor.jpg

front_bumper.jpg

post-40791-0-13618300-1358881665_thumb.j

post-40791-0-05339900-1358881666_thumb.j

post-40791-0-71089300-1358882175_thumb.j

hi, what you have there , if I remember correctly, is a Tamiya 540SH black motor with its red endbell, it was I think Tamiya's first true racing motor, the wires don't align due to the motor having its timing changed to up its performance , I could be wrong but I think you need the silver or goldish coloured can with black or white plastic endbell .

The red end bell (seems wrong saying that) is new to me, but the slots in the pinion end are correct. The tabs that the wires are soldered to should be directly in line with the screw holes at the other end. If they aren't then that ties in with alfagta's timing theory.

I can't see inside the gearbox properly to know if the long tab is there but, if it is, none of the motors alfagta has posted will fit. You need the same can that you already have (with the two long slots in the pinion end), but with the black end bell that lines up.

red endbell , pmsl ,

is the locating key in the gearbox housing the same size as the slot in the front end of the SH black motor ? I understand why Paul doesn't want to chop the tab in the gearbox but, with suitable care could a new motor be ground to fit ,

Thanks for replies chaps. Just to confirm the gearbox case does have the elongated tab along with the 2 tabs for screw hole alignment.

If I can't get an original motor (don't know what to search for!), then I might put back the black one it came with and chop the end cover (which is nack'd anyway) to fit. I have got a replacement original end cover that I was going to fit, but might leave it until I can source an original motor.

Cheers

You just have to search ebay for Mabuchi 540 and look at the pictures. All of these had the right type (though the first two were way more expensive because of what they came out of and the pictures were strangely identical):

I managed to find two in one auction, but only because they were described as vintage Rough Rider motors and the seller confirmed they had the two crescent slots. I just renovated and installed one in my early (big lug) Mark 1 Sand Scorcher tonight.

• Like 1

On the subject of the bumper; I know that some people have dropped theirs in boiling water to remove the white stress marks on grey SRB bumpers. It seems to work well for that but I don't know if it makes straightening it back out any easier. Of course it might not be the plastic that's deformed but the metal, in which case it probably won't help. I'm not recommending you boil yours, I'm just saying people do.

What about the nose on the shell - do you have a photo of that?

Thanks for info. so far 30YrsL8r, it has helped me locate an original motor on ebay - just need to win the auction now!

I will post some pic's of the front when I get in this evening to show the damage.