Sign in to follow this  
BigSteve

Reverse Speed

Hi all, I have a re re boomerang with a std mabuchi 540 motor and a tamiya esc. I also have a hot shot 2 running with an 18T motor with an unknown esc. Can anyone explain why they both seem to be quicker in reverse compared to when they are travelling forward. Sorry if this seems a stupid question with an obvious answer. Steve.

Most newer kit supplied Tamiya ESCs (TEU-104BK and -105BK) have only 50% power in reverse. It seems you may have done something wrong when setting up your speed controller.

What can you do about it?

- Check the motor wires if they are connected to the correct ESC terminals (see kit manual). Some motors are tuned to a specific rotation direction (I assume silvercans aren't).

- Check if you've properly set up the throttle forward, reverse and neutral positions on your ESC (see ESC manual supplied with your kit)

- Check if you've set up your transmitter the correct way (throttle reverse switch)

@Captain Hazzard: :lol::D

I think the motor rotation is to do with some motors having advanced timing? the ones with advanced timing will run much better in forward than reverse.

As above, just go through the set-up procedure on everything from the start. I think the 101BK has 100% reverse?, so it maybe harder to tell the difference on that, one way is the ESC will not go from forwards straight to reverse so if yours does, something is not right.

The 540 in the boomer has 0 degrees timing so should be equally quick in both directions. If it isn't then it's an issue with the speedo setup. The 101 requires a 'double click' for reverse. You have to pull back the stick to brake, then put the stick to neutral and back to reverse again to get reverse, but it will always go forward on the first command (I.e. you can bang it straight from full reverse to full forwards but not vice versa). Check that the car moves forwards for forwards on the speedo. There is also an indication on the LED when the speedo hits full forward. check that this occurs. When you set up the speedo did you move the transmitter stick through the full range of movement, and are you still using the same TX & RX as when the speedo was set up ???

it may just be your perception that they seems faster in reverse as they are a bit less controllable maybe ??