mk4savage

Vintage Sand Scorcher Rebuild

I think that was all of them that disappeared. Things have moved on since photobucket but it seems I can only add five photo's to a post If I save  and refresh between each one.

This was my idea to overcome the stripped thread on the gearbox but does it look too much of a bodge ? I've also discovered a stripped thread on one of the front suspension towers.

DSC07809.thumb.JPG.d8713af6e018ef4fd8de5e1d416571d5.JPG

I've made a start on the gearbox casing. I used wire wool on it as mentioned on a few other threads but I'm not sure I like the results. What do you all think ? I think it's a bit too shiny. I kind of wish I'd left it as it was.

1646054949215928851105614474695.jpg

And as for this side, there's not much chance of getting in those recess spaces on the sides. I've just cleaned the edges if you can see. 

16460554195932927421246237063915.jpg

All looks great imo, I’m pretty sure I’ve read before that the metal is a cheap pot metal and it dulls with age anyway -

@kevtherev will know the best way to get a long term result and if it’s worth while. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

All looks great imo, I’m pretty sure I’ve read before that the metal is a cheap pot metal and it dulls with age anyway -

@kevtherev will know the best way to get a long term result and if it’s worth while. 

Thanks mate, I appreciate that. I have heard it's not Aluminium as we might think, as you say a cheaper metal.

Short of shot blasting it I can't see how to get in the nooks and crannies with the wire wool. I know some of it won't be seen behind the gear casing etc so I don't think I'll worry too much about the sides.

I'm thinking now not to wire wool the front suspension parts, just go with a good clean without abrasives.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2013 at 3:24 PM, mk4savage said:

Hi All.

I got this off Ebay last week with the intention of a rebuild. I bought a nice Scorcher last year which has been built to a very high standard so the idea was to build one of my own to run.

Here it is as I got it, It's a bit of a wreck but is mostly there so I thought.

A bit of positive camber !

Broken front wing, The piece has been stuck on with tape but at least most of it is there. Anybody know what the best glue is to use to repair this ?

The Chassis.

I did notice that these front suspension towers have got small screws where the springs locate at the top. Others I've seen have small lugs as part of the casting ?

The Guy who sold it has owned it since 82 I think he said, Early 80's anyway and he and his dad built it on his 15th birthday. I must say it seems to have been built very well, I have now stripped it and all the screws seemed to be correct to me.

More photo's to come, As I said it's now in a million bits !

Cheers,

Matt.

DSC07771.JPG

DSC07772.JPG

DSC07773.JPG

DSC07774.JPG

Looks perfect 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Looks perfect 

Thank you 👍 I'm going to leave the body as it is as I think it has character. As I remember the white isn't paint, it's the actual plastic that you see and the blue has been brushed on. Not a mint example but I like it and it's how its previous owner had built it. I like the history. 

I will try and repair the broken piece and perhaps replace the missing light lens on the front but I think that's it. It'll look ok on the shelf 🙂