Jak Rizzo

converting Stadium blitzer to bear hawk?

G'day

I really want a bear hawk, but am over restoring old cars, would it beasy enough to buy a brand new Stadium blitzer & convert it to a bear hawk, obviously wheels, body mounts & body need to be changed, but anything else?

It looks like it might be quite easy? but then if it was everyone would be doing it?

regards

Jak

it's really, really easy. the body mounts for the bearhawk are the "leftover" ones on the sprues for the blitzers - as i recall. i did this exact thing with the bearhawk in my showroom. i even left the big wheels. but if you don't like the big wheels you may have to get shorter front axles/uprights.

Bear Hawk and Blitzer have different gearbox internals and gearbox halves. They run a different FDR to account for the buggy sized wheels on the Bear Hawk.

If you intend to fit a hot motor (I have a 4600Kv Mamba in mine), then the best gearbox to have on the Bear Hawk is the Blitzer gearbox as the ratios are more suitable to the hotter motor. If you intend to run the silvercan then it will be a bit slow compared to the Bear Hawk gearbox running the buggy sized wheels.

As above but with regard to the front axles/uprights... yes if you're using Bear Hawk wheels you will need a shorter axle on the front.

The Bear Hawk uprights are the angled type so if you use those you will also need shorter steering arms to compensate. But DT02 uprights will do the job and you can use the Blitzer steering arms you already have.

Good luck finding a body, I was lucky to get a brand new Bear hawk bodyset today after weeks of searching!

thanks for the replies

so can I just put the bear hawk gear set inside the blitzer gearbox case to sort out the gearing with smaller wheels?

Blitzer Beetle pinion gears: 13T/15T

Bear Hawk pinion gears: 15T/17T

15T on Bear Hawk is equal to 15T on Blitzer Beetle. So the higher Bear Hawk gear ratio is equal to the lower Blitzer one. If you want a BH with a high gear ratio you can keep Blitzer gears and use the 15T pinion. If you want a BH with low gear ratio you must change the gears.

Differently with Ta-Mark I believe that the both gearboxes are identical so you need to swap only the gears.

For the body you can find the orange one that is from a DT-01 car I don't remember the name now. It is almost identical to BH body with a air intake on the bonnet and a rear wing.

Max

yeah - i saw what massimo is talking about recently. it's the Mad Fighter body which is like the BH with a wing...

I think you're talking about the Mad Fighter/Sand Viper project? -> http://www.tamiyaclu...showtopic=67966 :)

Sadly, the Mad Fighter body can't be just slapped on the Bear Hawk/Blitzer chassis and called done. Aside from the obvious cosmetical differences (front air intake, rear wing mount), it has been modified by Tamiya to clear the DT-01 rear shocks, where the Bear Hawk rear bodymounts were before.

I think a modeller can do the right modifications to adapt the body to the chassis. And yes, it's the Mad Fighter I was talking about.

Max

Hi guys i'm currently doing this conversion, i'm looking for some dish wheels that will work on this setup in white same as the original bear hawk rims which seem to be non existant. I want to be able to put decent modern tyres (2.2's preferably) on them as it will be a runner. Any ideas?

sweet as thanks mate, trf201 wheels all round will be just what the doctor ordered!

sweet as thanks mate, trf201 wheels all round will be just what the doctor ordered!

Be careful the matching rears could be pin axle only - I've not opened my TRF201 kit yet, but suggest you check an online manual if you can find one.

Schumacher or JConcepts or Associated will have something - just a case of how much fiddling you need to do with bearings etc to fit the Tamiya axles

Too late, already ordered & paid for the rear wheel & tyre set from stella... What do you mean by pin axle btw?

No hex in the wheel . The cross through pin in the axle engages with the slot on the inner face of the wheel. If you currently have hexes fitted you may just get away with not using them, just the pin

The Sand Viper DT-02 silver disc wheels are bearing fronts and hex rears, but sadly not the right colour for redzone

Yeah I looked long & hard at them.. Ah well i'll find out next week whether I can use the rears!

#53728 rear wheels match the TRF201 white dish front wheels pretty well:

http://www.tamico.de/Tamiya-Dish-Felgen-4-Stk-DF-02-TL-01B-53728

If black dish wheels should be of interest, the Sand Viper (normally silver) wheels, are available in black too:

http://www.tamico.de/Tamiya-Dish-Felgen-hinten-2-Stk-schwarz-60-19-54339

http://www.tamico.de/Tamiya-Buggy-Dish-Felgen-vorn-60-19-schwarz-2-Stk-DT-02-54338

• Like 1

Here's a couple of pics of the disc rims from the trf201 mounted on the bear hawk:

2013-12-19000556_zps045c6e4a.jpg

2013-12-19000542_zpsfc2a84f8.jpg

I have to machine a bit from the rear of the rear wheels as they are indeed binding on the rear uprights... Lucky i have a metal lathe at work!

• Like 1