RENKEN 2000

Re-releases are KILLING the hobby

On the whole though, a greater problem is that traditional 'hands on' hobbies are taking a back seat to other forms of entertainment, video games and smartphones.

- James

I certainly hear you there, I've been a physical model maker in the film industry for the last 12 years, models in films have almost ceased and it's a sad time as we transition over to almost completely CG worlds. Whose playing RC Phone App Games? I bet there is probably one out there

James

BeetleLover

I certainly hear you there, I've been a physical model maker in the film industry for the last 12 years, models in films have almost ceased and it's a sad time as we transition over to almost completely CG worlds. Whose playing RC Phone App Games? I bet there is probably one out there

Wow, cool job. My parents used to work in the traditional cel animation and film effects industry, which underwent similar changes as computers took over from pencils, ink and paint.

One could argue that these professions and skills are still there, just the tools and methods have changed. Someone still has to design and craft the models and images, just they only exist in the memory of a computer.

There's still a look and feel that you get on film from physical models and cel animation with handpainted gouache backgrounds that is tough to replicate on a computer.

The benefit is when you need to blow up a model, with CG you get more than one take ;)

- James

Wow :o:P this is making a lot of emotional feelings to a lot of people. I am one of the old colletors of the 80tie's

not a new bie who started in last few years... The fact is that all the re releases make's the vintage RC cars not so rare and desireble any more.

Nothing to do with value or money... Just you can buy NEW (vintage) RC cars in the store. Normal you did search on the internet, for that last part whats making an almost forgotten and lost rc model complete .....Building like in the eightie's .... You dont have the feeling like we had then in the early eightie's. Its just not the same...

I do agree with you all about the old new models, to release them.. but make them totally different, and do make it almost equal the same ...because that sells good for mr Tamiya. For the Tamiya compagnie its for sure about the money. But for collectors its the desire to have and built/restore an rare model...

this is a part of my collection , so i know what i am talking about...

compaq-blue-wallpapers_688_1024.jpg

3speedshelf.jpg

hobbyroom001.jpg

oldschoolbmxstuff008.jpg

quadangle003-1.jpg

:)

Sorry dont want to hurt your feelings about this.. its just my opinion.....

RENKEN YOU ARE MY NEW FREAKING HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget Superman, YOU MY FRIEND ARE IT

• Like 1

Ok,

After much thought here is my 2 cents on it.

The re-re thing is having a funny effect on TC. There are obviously people who like it and people who don't. But without question it is having an effect.

I think there is also something else going on. Once you have all the cars you ever really wanted, then what do you do? Tamiya is making nothing new to collect. Axial is doing an ok job of creating new stuff, but they don't do drivers and lack a certain magic of tamiya's originals (don't misunderstand me, I have an axial and it's great). I just wish they would add drivers?!. I think the re-re's have help accelerate this to some extent.

That's is what got me started on my new venture. I thought what am I going to do now I have all the cars I really wanted? So I've started creating the cars that no one else seems to want to do. Continuing the tradition set by Mr Tamiya of high quality and realism. Like Mr Tamiya's originals, they won't be cheap, but they will hopefully help reignite a passion for collecting new and unique RC models.

James.

• Like 3

That's is what got me started on my new venture. I thought what am I going to do now I have all the cars I really wanted? So I've started creating the cars that no one else seems to want to do. Continuing the tradition set by Mr Tamiya of high quality and realism. Like Mr Tamiya's originals, they won't be cheap, but they will hopefully help reignite a passion for collecting new a unique RC models.

James.

Please put my name down for one, whatever it is, I'd like one please! :)

Oh yes, and please can I also have exclusive UK distribution rights for your RC models? Well if you don't ask.... ;)

Don't think so what tamiy did is great and i bet all the other companies back in the day like kyosho wish they did not scrap all there tooling and stuff and could do what tamiya is doing...my opinion MR TAMIYA = SMART MAN!!!

Just to play devil's advocate abotu "all those 3 speeds"...

When you have so many of something that you can casually stack them in a pyramid shape on a table, are you really the one to complain about a re-release making them less "special"? I look at that stack and I don't see a collection; I see a hoard. A pile of plunder. An obsession, not a hobby. I looked long and hard at the trucks in the stack and then at the trucks on the shelves to see if they were the same, to see if you just stacked them up for a photo op, but from what I can tell, they're different groups of trucks. And you say this is "part of" your collection, so presumably there are some that qualify for neither the shelf nor the stack.

Do you realize that most of us would take any one of those trucks, carefully restore it, cherish it, run it gently once in a while, and give it pride of place among our collections? And not only that, be satisfied with one, or possibly a second one strictly for show. Why even post those pictures? To gloat? To feel special and important, because you have a bigger pile of toys than we do?

Have fun with your big stack of trucks. I'm going to go run my Monster Beetle, which only exists because Tamiya re-released the Sand Scorcher shell.

• Like 7

Well, I've just been driving my rere Bruiser around the front yard and I am happy. It does what it was made to do, and what I bought it to do.

• Like 2

I looked long and hard at the trucks in the stack and then at the trucks on the shelves to see if they were the same, to see if you just stacked them up for a photo op, but from what I can tell, they're different groups of trucks. And you say this is "part of" your collection, so presumably there are some that qualify for neither the shelf nor the stack.

@mark - i'm 100% behind the spirit of your post but i don't think they are different sets of trucks. i think there are a few "unfinished" ones to help fill out the pyramid but it seems like most of the ones on the shelves i can locate in the stack. maybe with some minor changes between the times the photos were taken. not that this detracts at all from your point. it really is just literally a pile of toys!

• Like 1

I'm enthusiastic of most of Tamiya classics (classics not re-re, IMHO) and I'm very happy that they're still in production.

Slowly I'm buying all the models I liked when I was a teen and/or I hadn't money to buy them.

Watching the field "age" on the members profiles, I think it's the same for lot of us.

I'm not a collector, sometimes I like to ride my little cars and often I modify it... it could be not the same with a vintage model payed many bucks on a auction site.

And what about the smell of a Tamiya box opened for the first time?

And what about the avaibility of spares for the vintage cars?

I'm a little nostalgic but, IMHO: long life to Tamiya classics.

sfbi (sorry for bad english)

Re issues make it possible to get your hands on the car you always wanted without spending rediculously amounts on eBay!! 959 is coming next can't wait! The originals are still there for the collectors. The only thing I don't agree with was the Holidaybuggy hash up of just cutting holes in the front of the body to make it fit!!?? Do it properly Mr Tamiya you make enough cash out of these!!

IMHO - All RC cars (new, old, re-re, vintage, ugly, beautiful, rare, common, lovingly restored, RTR... all of them) should be driven. How hard? well it's up to the owner.

I don't think that a Re-re takes away from the 'coolness' of restoring an old dog to it's original glory... it's still an original, and has more years under it's belt than that re-re whipper-snapper... lol.

To me the only crime is the prices for NIB vintage kits. Totally insane... but hey it's your money spend it how ya like, but know that you spent money on a toy/hobby. You didn't make an investment.

I'd much rather buy a beat up old dog and bring him back to life, run him hard, have people freak out when they see what a 25 year old car with a brushless set will do. They still look better than the new buggies.. and in this hobby, style counts.

I wish like badword they'd re-re the Fox. I'd buy 2-3 kits just for parts for my runners. I HATE having to search, dig, and pray to find a part with a price which isn't insane. It's not that I'm on some super tight budget, but I'm not paying $45 for a gear set until I burn up every last Fox gear I have.

And with that, I think I'll go charge up a couple of packs and go run some of my cars with my 5 year old.2013-01-27-17-06-27.jpg

this is a part of my collection , so i know what i am talking about...

compaq-blue-wallpapers_688_1024.jpg

3speedshelf.jpg

hobbyroom001.jpg

oldschoolbmxstuff008.jpg

quadangle003-1.jpg

:)

Sorry dont want to hurt your feelings about this.. its just my opinion.....

Those pictures just make me sad... I can hear every single one of those cars, crying, wishing, hoping to be run one day. To each his own, but that makes NO sense to me. I can understand a shelf queen of a car you love, or took so long to build, that you want it to have it's glory. Or even having a body and set of wheels to run, and one to display... but all of those being the same couple of models... um.. Greedy much? I just don't get it. Just seems like one big waste of money for an internet *******ing contest.Its just so so sad.....

• Like 4

i agree on that badwagon, that stopped being a collection long ago, IMO it is now just a hoard (and i suspect it was mostly an investment thing after the first couple of each model!) , sure have a few bruisers, blazing blazers etc, one for the shelf one for running and maybe a parts car of each one too, but, that is just,, well ,its all been said ,

we can only hope that they all end up being enjoyed as rc cars one day and not just a pile obtained to satisfy someones issues, but, hey they are his issues and he cant take em with him when his time comes so tell the kids to watch ebay in 2060 . :)

3s Lipo and brushless is killing the hobby for me, well it's killing all my cars anyway. :D

:lol: :lol: add cold weather causing brittle plastics and its a recipe for an empty wallet :D

• Like 1

To lightly comment on the "hoard" comments, I now have way too many built vehicles than I can drive or use.

The reason? I enjoy building. Making works of art. Maybe that's what the stack of trucks was at one time. A joy of building, and that's why there are so many.

So now I have 28 runners, and most of them are in shelf queen condition, but I do drive them. Every one. Just not that often.

Cheers,

Skottoman

• Like 3

To lightly comment on the "hoard" comments, I now have way too many built vehicles than I can drive or use.

The reason? I enjoy building. Making works of art. Maybe that's what the stack of trucks was at one time. A joy of building, and that's why there are so many.

So now I have 28 runners, and most of them are in shelf queen condition, but I do drive them. Every one. Just not that often.

Cheers,

Skottoman

at the end of the day its his hoard , i too have a largish collection at 43 cars, only 20 of them (thats all the RX's i have ) are runners and none are shelf queens (god forbid) but i dont have 30 bruisers and 40 hilux's and 25 blazing blazers , i did have lots of m chassis cars all with different shells but most of those were given away or sold ,

BUT and its a BIG BUT , each to his or her own :)

To me, I don't have any problem with individuals mixing business with pleasure. Doing something you enjoy and making money at the same time is like having your cake and eating it after finishing a cooked to perfection steak and lobster dinner along with a bottle of red 1983 lafitte and before that half a dozen fresh osyters...(well, i am pushing it..)

Collecting and selling RC won't make you rich but may provide some spending money. As long as Tamiya is still around and doing the re-re, prices ain't going to go through the roof and look at the typical individuals that are in this hobby. Only way to get top dollar is having the perfect box and contents and finding that someone with cash, which that is why you see ebay seller charging an arm and a leg for that perfect sample and we think this guy is crazy for asking such rediculous price.

All i can say is a fool and his money are easily parted - and my mama did'nt raise no fools . :blink:

This has been a great discussion. Personally I love the re-res, its definitely helped me with my collection, but I hope Tamiya doesn't go too far. I was also sitting on fence as to whether I should build my NIB BMW March 872 (my only NIB atm), but this thread has helped me decide that I should built it! Although part of the decision process was wondering what will happen to my collection once I get too old. Sure, thats hopefully 40 plus years away, but I can't see what I've collected remaining together or meaning as much to someone as it does to me. So I imagine that some cars will survive, but time wears things down, so I might as well enjoy them now while I'm able too,

regards

Johann

• Like 1

Could people stop quoting Renken's pictures? Apart from the fact that it keeps reminding me how many 3 speeds he's got, it's wearing out my scrollwheel!!!!

• Like 3