wilton84

most angry tamiya moment? what's your

I organised cars for my brothers kids for christmas and gave them sport tuned motors for stscking our fire wood to make them faster.

We finally got all our cars together on basketball court which was covered in turf.Good venue all the boys were excited then all the RULES and REGULATIONS flowed for 9-13 year olds I couldn't even follow them and I'm 39!! well the inevitable thing happened and my son and his cousin crashed together (racing incident) then WW3 broke out because my son done it on "purpose" and we are "chequebook racers" well that was it for me packed up all my stuff and left them to it lol.

Kids will be kids and when you get 6 cars together well stuff happens don't it!!

Sorry rant over

Be careful Bruce. Anger leads to hate and hate leads to the dark side!

I don't get angry at much but I'm still dissapointed that Tamiya took a stick to decal reproducers. :(

• Like 2

Oh @wilton84, I feel your pain. I remember about 18 months ago, after spending a couple of months completely restoring my original Manta Ray, complete with alloy hubs, very nice alu shocks and front & rear FRP shock towers. I took it to the park with my eldest son, he was 5 at the time, and yes I should have known better. I drove it for, like, 5 minutes and he was pestering me to have a go. Against my better judgement I gave him the Tx and told him not to press the trigger fully on the steerwheel transmitter. That's exactly what he did and the Dyna Tech 01 motor, with full timing advance, propelled it at top speed in to a brick wall, completely smashing the front end ! The front hubs, carriers, wishbones, shocks and shock towers were completely destroyed, quite an achievement I thought. I am proud of myself for my reaction as I was very calm with him, took him over to the car and showed him the total destruction, but in my heart I wanted to slam him in to that wall too !

All's forgiven later though !

but in my heart I wanted to slam him in to that wall too !

Had to laugh at that bit!

Oh @wilton84, I feel your pain. I remember about 18 months ago, after spending a couple of months completely restoring my original Manta Ray, complete with alloy hubs, very nice alu shocks and front & rear FRP shock towers. I took it to the park with my eldest son, he was 5 at the time, and yes I should have known better. I drove it for, like, 5 minutes and he was pestering me to have a go. Against my better judgement I gave him the Tx and told him not to press the trigger fully on the steerwheel transmitter. That's exactly what he did and the Dyna Tech 01 motor, with full timing advance, propelled it at top speed in to a brick wall, completely smashing the front end ! The front hubs, carriers, wishbones, shocks and shock towers were completely destroyed, quite an achievement I thought. I am proud of myself for my reaction as I was very calm with him, took him over to the car and showed him the total destruction, but in my heart I wanted to slam him in to that wall too !

All's forgiven later though !

my 8 yr old did the same with my MR (my first restoration) - sent it 8 feet into the air after hitting a 5' wide tree; at least only the lexan rear wing split <phew> At least he drives his own cars a bit better than that now, a good learning curve

I organised cars for my brothers kids for christmas and gave them sport tuned motors for stscking our fire wood to make them faster.

We finally got all our cars together on basketball court which was covered in turf.Good venue all the boys were excited then all the RULES and REGULATIONS flowed for 9-13 year olds I couldn't even follow them and I'm 39!! well the inevitable thing happened and my son and his cousin crashed together (racing incident) then WW3 broke out because my son done it on "purpose" and we are "chequebook racers" well that was it for me packed up all my stuff and left them to it lol.

Kids will be kids and when you get 6 cars together well stuff happens don't it!!

Sorry rant over

This seems the way things are going . Nothing like back in our day . Safety this safety that , Don't let them do this &

on it goes . I find , you learn . So next time don't go with that lot again .

So meany Rule & Regulations on most things , Work , Play etc .

But then again , rule's are to be broken :D .

:lol: .

• Like 1

But then again , rule's are to be broken :D .

:lol: .

Hahaha, this made me smile given the thread topic; so are Tamiya RC cars :P

I let my kids and their friends play with my Grasshopper and they destroyed it! i didn't get angry but I've never let them near it again (for now anyway ;) )

I've definitely learned to chillax when out running RC. Best bet is to take a lot so when one inevitably fails, you can move on to the next, and not feel so disappointed.

That said, I did recently take 6 cars out to film and 5 failed. Lots of prep, day off work, trek from car to the spot to run. Must say my patience was severely tested that day! :)

When out with my RC buddies, we like to run close but never blatantly try to break someone else's car. If you accept there will be accidents, the racing is much more fun :)

J

I have had five-year old kids slam my car into a wall and even on the ground, and an 11-year old managed to hit a tree with it. After that I finally learned to keep a death grip on my radio! To the Buggy Champ's credit, though, it took the beating and parts were inexpensive...

As a result, I think my moment of greatest unadulterated animosity resulted from my first kit. I had never worked with self-tapping screws into plastic before, and as a complete beginner I did not know to grease the threads prior to putting them in. I almost destroyed the chassis right then and there, except my hands were too sore from forcing the screws in to do much about it!

Saturday night, a buddy came over and we put back a couple of beers. I had been working on my Wraith and I decided to run a pack through my newly restored Fox, while walking him up to his car.

Drove it around for 10 minutes, I decided to jump the curb into my driveway (I've done this a million times) the fox hit a stick in the street (I didn't see it because of a shadow in the road) and got knocked off course and straight into the brick planter around my mailbox. Shattered the ball mount on one of the parama adjustable front a arms.

I'm soooo *******ed. No idea where to source a new one, and that set up is so **** rare. It's also the mod which made my Fox handle like a dream.

I'm still trying to get over it.

Club politics have caused my blood to boil on several occasions, but that is not the models' fault, so I don't think that counts.

As far as the models themselves go, I have found myself getting extremely frustrated with parts that break during fitting even when one is following the instructions to the letter. Anyone else cracked a C-hub on a DF02 when fitting turnbuckles for example?

Made a painting "error" with automotive paint on the super rare rear window of an Isuzu Mu. Cursed a blue streak, and yelled at the dog, but thanks to some very nice people here, I was able to salvage the job.

• Like 1

I think it was 1984..... I was 10 years old with my beloved Frog... Loved that thing. Found out the hard way on a beach why it is bad to drastically shorten your receiver aerial wire.

Be careful Bruce. Anger leads to hate and hate leads to the dark side!

I don't get angry at much but I'm still dissapointed that Tamiya took a stick to decal reproducers. :(

Yep i'm normally a pretty easy going mellow person but when someone is being the fun police to excited kids it gets my back up BIG time my brother just took the enjoyment out of the day for everyone!!

Kids are kids it's better to be outside with RC's than inside on the Xbox. no one was intentionaly hitting Sh%$ happens lol

Made a painting "error" with automotive paint on the super rare rear window of an Isuzu Mu. Cursed a blue streak, and yelled at the dog, but thanks to some very nice people here, I was able to salvage the job.

Oh Sayer! The poor dog! loloolol :)

OSR

Back in the day, my mate's dad had helped him build a box art Rough Rider. I was jealous as badword, as I had a used Sand Rover (which incidentally, I had recently driven under a gate and ripped the screen and roll cage off) - it was beautifully done - painted light blue and stickered perfectly.

We took it down to the local green for a test run and he put the battery in and simply flicked the switch on the car. It disappeared at full speed, across the green, off a curb and smashed into the curb on the opposite side of the road before we could work out what had happened.

I've never seen so many broken bits on a car. It put the damage to my Sand Rover into perspective...

Same here, especially when the official UK importer can't be bothered to import Super Hotshot decals.

for me it was when I got my tb02's , built the first one and took my time to get everything exact , air free shocks , ultra smooth diffs etc,etc, , took it out with my mate and his tb02, local authorities had just laid a new section of tarmac at the local park ,we took the dotbots and laid out a track , awesome ,it was game on! we ran for about 2 minutes then both cars started spinning out on all corners! so we pulled them in and both cars had snapped the front diff screws within seconds of each other , I had spares , two quick diff rebuilds and we were back on it , after about 2 minutes the cars started misbehaving again , same, front diff screws snapped again, third time and this was my last two screws , this time we took the springs out the diffs and they stayed together for the rest of the race but snapped on the next , after many more screws I eventually gave up on Tamiya branded screws and got some stainless ones on the bay of much at a cost of 6p per screw and have never broke one since! this is the only time I have really been angry at a Tamiya car , quite sad really as its only a toy :angry::lol:;)

Is funny we get angry when someone damage / destroy your RC, but is "OK", maybe a bit upset, if we damage / destroy our own RC. I guess when letting kids play with your RC, just show them how the control works and the safety rules and let them go at it and NOT watch what they do. It hurts at lot more when you witness your creation meeting headon with wall.

This has been years ago but it was a learning experience. I got this kit airplane and built it all up from scratch. Took it out to fly it and it would taxi, get up to speed, lift off, roll over and plow into the ground. I did this maybe 20 times and replaced and fixed pretty much everything with the same result. My late brother in law was a gifted pilot so I waited for him to try it again. We tried it around 5 more times with the same results. When it crashed the last prop I had I finally had enough and stomped on it. I kept the motor and radio but never have tried to fly a plane again. I found out years later that wing span and dihedral determine the motor angle and size. Hopping up a plane can have bad results.

it was designed for a .049 not a .2.

It relates to Tamiya since that's where the radio and gas motor wound up.

The DT02 Sand Viper was my most frustrating Tamiya experience. After about 30-40 battery packs on a hard clay track, nearly half the screw pins and self-tapping screws would loosen on their own during a run. For the most part I've moved away from ABS tubs, self tapping screws, and screw pins. Now I look for models with reinforced plastics, machine screws, and captured hinge pins.

I have 3 boys, they are 3 5 and 7, and I would NEVER allow them to drive any of my restored models. This is why they have there own cars, a beat up Hornet, a Kyosho Raider (which has been holding up extremely well to all that abuse), and the 3 year old has a toy grade monster truck. But there was this incident where my 7 year old ran straight into my runner Avante, the only damage was the rear wing. I hate it when they smash their cars on purpose, but I wasnt any better when I was their age!

I remember when my parents organised to go up to a Lake maybe an hour and a half away from home, they suggested I'd better get on charging my car and that it would be a great opportunity to bring it with me, I asked for a bit more time to charge up my AA's for my transmitter and receiver pack. They said no, and that we needed to head away as soon as a stick pack was sorted. Anyways, got up there, took my car out, 30 seconds later my Falcon is out of control and then 2 foot under water. Hmmm it was a pretty sad and boring afternoon after that. it must have been a few months before they bought me a replacement receiver, it was a bad summer without my car going :(

James