mongoose1983

Best optional color for a Hornet.

I've been sitting here looking at the showrooms for optional colors for a Hornet buggy. I come up with a couple of favorites, but was wondering what color you guys would point out as THE best for such car.
Of course I'm aware of the subjectivity factor, I'm asking just to see if I get surprised over your choices, maybe you'll help me change my mind over what color might be better.
You all have a good Wednesday! :)

Sprayed one silver leaf which looks nice, also had a red one and a french blue hornet which looked quite nice

silver one is in my showroom and the french blue one I sold to sgt barnes and he had it in his showroom.

I've seen some nice ones in red, also green.

Happened to see these the other night and started wondering. What do you think?

hornetCOLORS_zpscb64bf20.jpg

Hornet needs a dark color in my opinion so I'll go to PS5 Black for the first choice and PS4 Blue for the second, PS23 Gun Metal for the third then PS9 Green and PS22 Racing Green.

No other color in my opinion can match well the shape pf the body and the yellow orange red decals.

Max

Hornet needs a dark color in my opinion so I'll go to PS5 Black for the first choice and PS4 Blue for the second, PS23 Gun Metal for the third then PS9 Green and PS22 Racing Green.

No other color in my opinion can match well the shape pf the body and the yellow orange red decals.

Max

Hi Max,

I'm not completely convinced about the boxart black. And you know, my Hornet is dark blue, but I'm not a fan of it.

What do you think of this one?

colorhornet.jpg

• Like 2

White is the new Black!

I have seen some Wild Ones in white and thought they looked fantastic. No reason why the Hornet would not too.

Any colour that contrasts the decals works. Darker colours, or anything from green to blue to purple on the colour wheel.

Green surprised me.

img20319_19022009122537_3.jpg

• Like 1

Mmmm quite.liking the green surprisingly. I really like the blue one though - what colour is that?. Looks really retro. Mine is metallic red and it really was a bad choice!

Rich

Wow. Aren't those the wheels & tires from the new Sand Rover buggy?

Yes. The front tires are Super Hornet though. Getting harder to find them now, but I really like them. For tarmac running this Hornet gets a set of Brat wheels and tires all the way around and I really like the look of that too, although for some reason I don't have any photos of that set up.

Wyoming has a green Hornet in his showroom that is a slightly different green and it looks really sharp too! I've seen several blue Hornets, a silver one, and even a white one that really are stunners. Box art black just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Tamiya do a pretty good job with their box-art selection - its often difficult to find another colour that works well with the supplied decals too (red and yellow can often make some of the decals a little lost). Often something close to boxart, ie subtley different is a safe option - Gunmetal works well on the Hornet, as does a very dark blue.

Have to agree, its really hard to pick another colour, other than what Tamiya depict on the tin. Ive racked my brains for a alternate Dynastorm scheme, but it always comes back to the Box art, tricky indeed.

lee

I've been sitting here looking at the showrooms for optional colors for a Hornet buggy. I come up with a couple of favorites, but was wondering what color would you guys would point out as THE best for such car.

Of course I'm aware of the subjectivity factor, I'm asking just to see if I get surprised over your choices, maybe you'll help me change my mind over what color might be better.

You all have a good Wednesday! :)

White Hornet is neat ;-)http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=93860&sid=24357

Red all the way. In my opinion, it's the only one which works with the decals.

I've seen some nice ones in red, also green.

Happened to see these the other night and started wondering. What do you think?

hornetCOLORS_zpscb64bf20.jpg

Mongoose, this Hornet in metallic light blue is not so bad but the problem is to match the decal colors.

For example, there is red in the decals (the numbers and the writing on the rear wing).

Red absolutely doesn't mix with green and blue, especially with light blue.

Then the writing and the numbers are white inside. This make a light color of the body (like white for example) a complex choice. If you make the body white you loose the numbers and the writing and the stripes are not emphasized.

Why not choose another color like yellow, orange or red? Because the stripes are yellow and orange and if you use these two colors you will loose the stripes.

Red will work good with the stripes but you will loose the red outline of the numbers and the writing.

Yellow, Orange and Red are warm colors, so you must mix them with totally different colors possibly cold colors.

Green is a warm color but mixes very well with yellow stripes but bad with red. Blue is cold and mixes very well also with yellow and orange but really bad with red. For this reason I suggested dark blue instead of light blue. Have a close look to the side number in the light metallic blue Hornet. Focus the red outlines of the number and the light blue. You will see a bad contrast with the colors. Where finishes the red, where starts the light blue? The metallic makes this bad contrast worse adding another visual problem to this bad contrast. One of the most important of the color rules is "never write in red over blue or green and vice versa".

The remaining color are not too much. Dark blue reduces the contrast (in front of light blue) with red and emphasizes the yellow stripes and the white numbers. Black is the best choice because emphasizes the yellow stripes and the white numbers and has a good contrast with red. Dark green is the last choice because emphasizes well the yellow stripes but not so well the white numbers and has a really bad contrast with red. If you wanna use the green it must be darker as possible, backed with black if possible. Another good choice is the Gun Metal because is a cold color but is neutral and doesn't give problems with the red or the yellow. Is dark enough to emphasizes the yellow stripes and the white numbers and mix well with the red.

Other colors like purple, light blue, gold or other are simply ugly or gives problems of contrast.

At last a light color or a metallic color (the worst mix is light and metallic all together) is generally a bad choice on the Hornet because Hornet body shape is not the best in the world of design. A light and/or metallic color emphasizes the shapes and makes the object seem bigger. So a dark non metallic color helps to hide the bad shapes and proportions of the Hornet body.

Silver is a bad choice imho. It is neutral like Gun Metal but is too light for yellow and white, mix well with red outlined writings but not with full white writings. At the end is light and metallic and doesn't mix with Hornet shape.

These are only my tastes and my humble opinions but would like to say that I'm a professional graphic advertiser.

So I suggest again:

1 Black

2 Gun Metal backed with black

3 Dark blue backed with black

4 Dark Green backed with black

5 Metallic Dark Green backed with black

• Like 1

As you can see you loose the stripes and the numbers, you totally loose the full white writings obviously and the shape of the car is emphasized. The rear mud fenders seems bigger and the rear wing smaller for contrast with the emphasized fenders. Generally the car body seems less thin, it seems fatter.

No Way.

Max

I don't agree. You loose the red outlines and the orange in the stripes. The stripes seem smaller and don't pop up, the metallic kills the shape of the car.

Max

Red all the way. In my opinion, it's the only one which works with the decals.

[...] Often something close to boxart, ie subtley different is a safe option - Gunmetal works well on the Hornet, as does a very dark blue.

Well, mine is dark blue and I'm not much a fan of it...

hornet1984_zpsefe5a122.jpg

I wish someone would come up with a website similar to the bugselecta one....

http://www.typ-17.de.../bugselecta.htm

but with all the Tamiya models in - would be a great tool for these sort of debates !

Yep, a device like that one would be such a great help to decide what color would be best!

Mongoose, this Hornet in metallic light blue is not so bad but the problem is to match the decal colors.

[...] Another good choice is the Gun Metal because is a cold color but is neutral and doesn't give problems with the red or the yellow. Is dark enough to emphasizes the yellow stripes and the white numbers and mix well with the red.

I was interested in what you had to say, Max. I did not know any theory on how a lighter color would make an object look bigger.

Now, gun metal might be a good choice, I just haven't seen a Hornet in such color.

Anyway, here's a bunch of non-boxart ones. The one in copper color sure looks good!

COLOR_zps90e807d5.jpg<p>