mongoose1983

Best optional color for a Hornet.

Considering that the original Hornet was Tamiya's best selling RC (1 million units sold apparently), and the re-release has now also been in production for 8 years whilst other buggies have come & gone, I don't think there are many people out there who think it has a "weak design".....

Well, let's not forget price point, and that it's an entry level car. I mean standing in front of a 'Hopper or a Hornet, the Hornet is a deal with the upgrades.

I love the Hornet, but I think the reason they made the body black, and not yellow w/ black decals, is the body, is the body's shape. The rear fenders, are out of proportion, and made to look even more so by the decals. So if the body is black, the rest of the car 'fills in' the shape (as well as your eyes0 and hides features, like the rear fenders.

I do think the Hornet has potential to be a really nice looking car, but as Max pointed out, the stock decals put us in a color scheme lock down, to just a few choices. There will always be exceptions to the 'rules' which I can already see. Like a Hunter Green Hornet, might look killer, but it would have to be a deep, dark green. Same with using blue. I personally think metallic paints can help distract from some of the details I'm not keen on, but that's just me.

Personally, I like the 'Hopper body more than I like the Hornet body. Even the parma lexan 'Hopper body is a great choice, though not as tough as the hard shell stock 'Hopper body. I'm trying to decide which way to go with one of my Hornet/Hoppers. I'm about to begin the resto, but what should it be? Hopper or Hornet. Only time will tell.

(...) but was wondering what color would you guys would point out as THE best for such car.

THIS one:

getuserimage.asptidim73j5g.jpg

Without any doubt. ;)

THIS one:

Without any doubt. ;)

Yuck!

I think I'll have to quote a buddy from another forum to express my feelings towards that aberrant sacrilege:

I just can't stand that one. Maybe there are people out there who like it. I don't know. My dad told me that if you marketed dog food as some sort of sandwich spread and you interviewed enough people, you could find a few who actually like it and would be willing to appear on a commercial for it.

:wacko:

I always assumed that "Wannabe" was really supposed to be "Whats that all about then?", but marketing wouldn't green light that name.

• Like 1

I always assumed that "Wannabe" was really supposed to be "Whats that all about then?", but marketing wouldn't green light that name.

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Isn't it truly mindboggling the fact that Jun Watanabe can actually earn his living by doing that kind of stuff?? :D

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Isn't it truly mindboggling the fact that Jun Watanabe can actually earn his living by doing that kind of stuff?? :D

yes, yes it is. lol, just noticed I fat fingered Watanbe lmao....

I love the Hornet, but I think the reason they made the body black, and not yellow w/ black decals, is the body, is the body's shape. The rear fenders, are out of proportion, and made to look even more so by the decals. So if the body is black, the rest of the car 'fills in' the shape (as well as your eyes0 and hides features, like the rear fenders.

I do think the Hornet has potential to be a really nice looking car, but as Max pointed out, the stock decals put us in a color scheme lock down, to just a few choices. There will always be exceptions to the 'rules' which I can already see. Like a Hunter Green Hornet, might look killer, but it would have to be a deep, dark green. Same with using blue. I personally think metallic paints can help distract from some of the details I'm not keen on, but that's just me.

I disagree. I think the reason the Hornet body looks the way it does, and in the colour scheme it is painted & decaled in, is to actually make it look as close as possible to the creature it was named after. And frankly I think they did a marvellous job on it too. It actually does look like a bug at the front, it has a raised rear section to denote the creature's elevated abdomen and it is painted in the same colours that you would find on many of the creatures around the world.

The buggy is a product of a time when the company put a lot more thought into artistic creativity and meaning surrounding their products, and it's something that I wish they would still do more often nowadays.

Whether a Hornet looks good or bad in an alternative colour to the black is neither here nor there in importance IMO. They should bring out a new buggy and call it "The Wasp" or "The Wolf". :)

[...] Whether a Hornet looks good or bad in an alternative colour to the black is neither here nor there in importance IMO.

I have to disagree with that.

The reason why I decided to open this thread is because some Tamiya fans come up with colors and styles on Hornet buggies that actually look much better than the box art suggested by Tamiya and I wanted and was open to read (and see, when possible) about better color possibilities for my future project buggy.

You have to see that, while trying to find color ideas from fellow TCers, it has been great to hear very interesting stuff like the professional perspectives from designers like BadWagon and kontemax, specially what Massimo shared here about the theory of colors.

I'm completely sure this information can and will be of help to me and also to many TCers and Tamiya enthusiasts around the world!

[...] They should bring out a new buggy and call it "The Wasp" or "The Wolf". :)

I can say I'm all for that, too.

You all have a MEGA weekend! :)

• Like 2

I think Jun Watanabe is the worst thing a human mind can do to an Hornet...

:angry:

Max

• Like 2

THIS one:

Without any doubt. ;)

That's not a Hornet anymore... It's now a Tamiya Cow! :lol:

• Like 1

That's not a Hornet anymore... It's now a Tamiya Cow! :lol:

A transvestite cow perhaps?? I mean, pink, purple and cow spots paint scheme. Seriously hideous look. Proof that hard drugs have a major impact of reasoning and perception.

Lmao.

<p>At the end this thing is old, terribly old! This kind of color scheme is deeply early 80ies, it's not old, it's antique.

If I'll be a designer or a stylist I'll be ashamed for him (for Watanabe).

If Tamiya will give me this horror as a present I'll reject it.

Max

THIS one:

Without any doubt. ;)

</p>

[...] If Tamiya will give me this horror as a present I'll reject it.

Does that mean you're not entering any pictures for the competition this month, Max?

I've yet have to take my picture to join the competition. You can always modify that Hornet to look correct!

Do you know the Watanabe kit comes with two set of tires? (original black AND pink ones)

I will not enter any picture for the competition as any competition. There are too many people (and too many people smarter than me) on the club so the possibilities to win something are close to zero. So no time and no desire to participate, sorry ;) .

Max

I´ve found a Big Wigish Hornet on the Internet that give me inspiriation:

SAM_0034_zps957e7238.jpg

• Like 1

The only optional color for a Hornet would be red, like in the commercial.

Maybe a blue one like the Super Champ would also look good, the decals are almost the same (yellow / orange)...

The Watanabe Hornet is a slap in the face - and those pink tires :blink:

If someone is driving that "thing" on a racetrack, everybody is going to avoid that poor soul...

Marcel

Here is my Hornet I painted up about 15 years ago. I'm still loving the color scheme.

11805001.jpg

• Like 3

I genuinely dont know why the hatred for the Watanabe. I think it perfectly displays the Hornets playfulness. I wish there were more watanabe variants. We need more pink tires in life.

14721773395_98368b681b_b.jpg

Fact is, no mater how much time I spend on the body of a hornet, this one just makes all the other look, well, boring.

14720850774_81afd89313_b.jpg

Personally, I would like a Watanade Avante. Could you imagine all the aluminum and metal bits anodized and plated in pink and purple? Oh man that would be sweet. All the hardware? Awesome. How about a watanabe themed Lunchbox or MP?

OR! Since the last one was based on these:

1b7bcd0c2a0c0daf13907470b6597410.jpg

The next Watanabe Hornet should be based on these!:

49f5d50a95d9bc8a8ce26ecdd459c4a7.jpg

Holy $@&% I know how to paint my next Hornet shell.

Oh, for conventional Hornets, Toykid called it. This is the best paint scheme ever:

This was one of my favorites:img30876_05092010144046_1.jpgCare of TC member, JWestern

Second favorite is Shodogs. Funny he should have posted as I was.

Here is my Hornet I painted up about 15 years ago. I'm still loving the color scheme.

11805001.jpg

So stop with the hating and paint your Hornet so it stands out, Pink!

22190572068_492ac5e2da_b.jpg

• Like 5

@ Shodog - that is one very nice color scheme.

Are those CRP wheels?

They are vintage RCH aluminum wheel covers that have been polished up

Second favorite is Shodogs. Funny he should have posted as I was.

Alright, what is it going to take to make my Hornet your first favorite

Maybe painting the window frame.... :D

@ pintopower

Thanks a lot! After seeing your pictures of your Watanabe Hornet, I feel a little bit attracted to that kit.

It's weird, but I like that pink MSC... :lol:

Marcel

Dunno, giving it to me? :wub:

@ pintopower

Thanks a lot! After seeing your pictures of your Watanabe Hornet, I feel a little bit attracted to that kit.

It's weird, but I like that pink MSC... :lol:

Marcel

I feel in love the second I saw it. Even my wife likes it. It lives in our dining room on the buffet with all her purple and pink glassware.

As for the MSC, I made that. It is the only MSC I like.