mongoose1983

Best optional color for a Hornet.

Dunno, giving it to me? :wub:

I feel in love the second I saw it. Even my wife likes it. It lives in our dining room on the buffet with all her purple and pink glassware.

As for the MSC, I made that. It is the only MSC I like.

Great work on the MSC, looks like it came with the kit.

Marcel

Great work on the MSC, looks like it came with the kit.

Marcel

Thanks, I tried to play it off on my showroom post as being like that in the kit but I didn't get very far. It turns out the folks here are too sharp for that.

I love the Watanabe Hornet! Takes pride of place in my cabinet.

gallery_28308_3741_64453.jpg

gallery_28308_3741_113440.jpg

Got to love the Hornet...

gallery_28308_3741_338195.jpg

• Like 2

This has been a great thread. I love thread revivals from before I became a member. So much interesting stuff out there. Most hornets tend to be the traditional black but it has been interesting seeing the different ways people have personalised them. I have to agree with what was stated at the beginning of the thread (back in 2013 :lol: ) that the decal colours reduce the choice of body colour.

I bought my re-re hornet 2nd hand so unfortunately I didn't get to pick a different shell colour. It was the usual black. They also threw in a half completed bashed up hornet which I've recently completed using second hand parts and spares. The problem was that when racing/bashing they looked pretty much identical as the second shell was done to box art as well.

So I coloured coded parts of the hornets while trying to keep it to the colour scheme. I colour coded the wheels, spotlights and white grahics orange and at the same time did the refurbished hornet yellow on the exact same parts and areas. It gives them a subtle difference so they can be distinguished while racing but still uses the colours which are used on the box art hornet. They also use the old mhz radio gear so a long floppy orange aerial is on one and a yellow equally long and floppy aerial is on the other.

Here they are in their day glow orange and yellow outfits.

20151111_165531_zpsua5ds1d2.jpg

I wish tamiya did a version of their decals for the hornet in black as I'd love to do a yellow and an orange bodied hornet. The black decals would really set them off.

I did the white wheel graphics today too which wasn't easy with my massive man hands. :lol:

• Like 2

I think the best "official" alternative colour scheme is the Jun Watanabe one - it is far more striking than the BMS one, and I agree that it captures the character of the car really well. That said, I also rather like my blue and green one.

Buggy%20018_zpsgcjanarm.jpg

• Like 1

I can't say that anyone has said or shown a good YELLOW Hornet. I think it would be a decent choice as even Tamiya offer a few shades of it. I can't say Lemon vs Camel as I don't own a Hornet, but I would lean towards the lemon or PS6 to keep with the age of the car. For some of you new folks, Tamiya at one time only offered 12 colors of paint for lexan bodies. GASP, I know, hard to imagine. I have in mind to get a HotShot painted up in PS6 one of these days.

I painted this hornet after reading among other things about the color theory in this post.

Offtopic, I know, but that green Grasshopper there looks fantastic!

I can't say that anyone has said or shown a good YELLOW Hornet. I think it would be a decent choice as even Tamiya offer a few shades of it. I can't say Lemon vs Camel as I don't own a Hornet, but I would lean towards the lemon or PS6 to keep with the age of the car. For some of you new folks, Tamiya at one time only offered 12 colors of paint for lexan bodies. GASP, I know, hard to imagine. I have in mind to get a HotShot painted up in PS6 one of these days.

Well, TCer SMOKE-DOG in OH has a nice yellow Hornet for sale. It's not my favorite color for the Hornet, but I think it looks very very good!

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

^Nice! I like it. It would be perfect with the hornet decals in black and yellow wheels.

Mongoose I agree too. Grasshopper should be green and I'd also do the wheels green too. Id love a green grasshopper.

• Like 2

I have had my Hornet for years now, waiting to find a good priced replacement body. Actually, I've just downgraded it to turn it into a Grasshopper instead. But I have the Hornet decals here waiting for me to come across a cheap one.

Anyway, if I did not have the decals I think I would like to try something like this:

Hornet%20stars%20amp%20stripes%20pscheme

• Like 3

Very cool, when I had my secondhand Clod Buster at 13 or 14, I painted it in those colours, blue front with the red and white stripes at the rear. I sold it to a lad at school as a job lot along with a Manta Ray (additional shell painted Italian colours one side red, middle white other side green) and half built pumpkin, wonder if he still has them!

That Hornet would go well with my scary bruiser dude zombie head!

medium.image.jpg.e5968d7ebf3b2c65dae946a

I took inspiration from the red hornet posted earlier and made a purple version with added red decals

IMG_5610.JPG

• Like 2

Metallic blue backed with black Metallic is my favorite with dark green matallic and dark gray metallic fightinging for second place. 

In the end I chose dark brown for my Hornet (June, 2016). Couldn't be happier with the results.

This is Testors' BROWN and I finished the bars with Parma Faskolor GOLD. And I painted it using a cheap brush. Too bad the photos can not capture the real colors!

Tamiya Hornet 1984 restoration vintage RC photo IMG_7558_zpsew0ax5xd.jpg

Tamiya Hornet 1984 restoration vintage RC photo IMG_7531_zpski9kjcor.jpg

I'm missing the front lamps :(

• Like 3

Have you seen MCI Racing? They do tamiya decals where you can change the block colours. You would be able to get Hornet decals with black instead of yellow to go on a yellow shell. They did my Grasshopper 2 graphics with the red and yellow swapped for black and grey for the neon orange shell I painted for my DT03

gh3-7

• Like 1

I've used MCI for my HS2 decals as they are like rocking horse poo.

My favourite is my Hopper, but I will be doing another hornet at some point with customer decals.IMG_5721.thumb.JPG.fdd43773c0fafe90268ceb8a6e6a2b05.JPG

• Like 2

I am loving MCI. No longer are we forced to use kit decals. 

33142384515_7db358af7a_b.jpg

30111583533_1ec08513be_b.jpg

30111606803_01786fb859_b.jpg

Oh and I love pink Hornets:

22190572068_492ac5e2da_b.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Janner said:

I've used MCI for my HS2 decals as they are like rocking horse poo.

My favourite is my Hopper, but I will be doing another hornet at some point with customer decals.IMG_5721.thumb.JPG.fdd43773c0fafe90268ceb8a6e6a2b05.JPG

That looks cool!

On 1/27/2017 at 2:00 PM, Janner said:

I took inspiration from the red hornet posted earlier and made a purple version with added red decals

IMG_5610.JPG

Seriously in love with that entire look. 

• Like 1