mongoose1983

Best optional color for a Hornet.

Finally can paste my effort in this thread..... another purple one.

7jX9Zcu.jpg

• Like 3

Purple and gold?

Funeral hornet wagon.

Max

• Like 1

This is what I ended up with.  Doesn't look too bad in my eyes (granted...I'm colorblind...so...)  I need help though - what color should I paint the front lights?  Black with yellow caps?  Black with white caps?  Yellow with white caps?  Yellow with black will wash out the decals I think.

hornet.jpg

hornet (2).jpg

• Like 7

And this is mine, metallic silver paint, and stickers in reverse printing, placed on the inside of the body ;)

IMG_0527.jpg.5b1c7db04615b4bedff6334096c6261d.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg.499a5c9906e7b8571f07607b5fe59067.jpg

• Like 1

On 08/02/2018 at 2:26 AM, CJ Topspin said:

This is what I ended up with.  Doesn't look too bad in my eyes (granted...I'm colorblind...so...)  I need help though - what color should I paint the front lights?  Black with yellow caps?  Black with white caps?  Yellow with white caps?  Yellow with black will wash out the decals I think.

hornet.jpg

hornet (2).jpg

This looks awesome

On 8-2-2018 at 3:26 AM, CJ Topspin said:

hornet.jpg

hornet (2).jpg

Looks great!

On 3/28/2017 at 2:19 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Have you seen MCI Racing? They do tamiya decals where you can change the block colours. You would be able to get Hornet decals with black instead of yellow to go on a yellow shell. They did my Grasshopper 2 graphics with the red and yellow swapped for black and grey for the neon orange shell I painted for my DT03

Thanks for mentioning MCI - I recently bought a TBG Falcon body on ebay and didn't realize I could get decals and window masks for it as well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrewZ said:

Thanks for mentioning MCI - I recently bought a TBG Falcon body on ebay and didn't realize I could get decals and window masks for it as well!

Hey buddy, just roll this page up, and find my post of my hornet. (the silver one). The stickers are from MCI Racing. I chose the colors and also requested reverse printing, which let me put the stickers inside the body prior painting it ;) Just wanted you to see another example from MCI. :) great stuff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gt4baby said:

Hey buddy, just roll this page up, and find my post of my hornet. (the silver one). The stickers are from MCI Racing. I chose the colors and also requested reverse printing, which let me put the stickers inside the body prior painting it ;) Just wanted you to see another example from MCI. :) great stuff.

Oh yeah, that turned out nice - So cool that you can pick your colors!

Now if they only had a configurator so you could see exactly what it looks like before you buy it...

5 hours ago, DrewZ said:

Oh yeah, that turned out nice - So cool that you can pick your colors!

Now if they only had a configurator so you could see exactly what it looks like before you buy it...

Yeah, unfortunately there isnt any live changing of the color, but i guarantee you that the guy who does it, will respond your email and send you a preview after each correction. With him, probably, had more than 50 emails (come and go) until we finalized the corrections etc. He was sending me the stickers sheet with the changes each time. He is responsive and cooperative. I ended up ordering 4 sheets from him, even though i used just the one :) and the price was good too

Thanks folks.  I definitely love MCI - i just can't mess with the color changes because I can't really tell due to my colorblindness (difficult to discern variations between reds, oranges and yellows).  My wife tried to help me but when she started using phrases like "that looks pretty"...I decided to rely on my own broken eyes. The good thing is that CMYK and RGB have number values associated to the color and, using a color wheel you can see patterns in the values associated to complimentary, matching and clashing colors. 

What a lovely thread, so many interesting, insightful contributions and pics!

I' m fascinated by the mights of color theory, which I use almost everyday at work,  and a few months ago I too had to face the dilemma of choosing a new color scheme for the Hornet.

This great buggy got me back into the rc world just over one year ago, so I was very happy painting it box art.

After heaps of fun bashing it around mercilessly, I decided it earned a good rest on the shelf, and for the occasion a new body shell was to replace the by then magled black one.

As you guys said already, finding an alternative color scheme, due to the aforementioned limitations, isn't easy.

I wanted to go for something different and still keep the feel of an old school, Super Champ-y buggy but without altering the original decal scheme too much in order to preserve the Hornet's personality.

At the end I went for this bi-color livery, the paints being Tamiya PS-1 white and S-P20 fluorescent red (which looks very orangy). This was around 8 months ago and since then it's been a shelf queen, anyway I'm still happy with the choice so far :)

Sorry for bringing up the topic after over one year! :rolleyes:

20190210_155425-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.f4054e00596bf0032a031ad460b8a152.jpg20190213_124302-1134x2016.thumb.jpg.b35243f85744e9ba644929f63b2c6ad8.jpg20190213_124455-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.eafda4e8aed8669de865b2e21c12feeb.jpg

• Like 8

Well there are some cool looking Hornets here. I especially like the fluorescent orange and white one and the blue comical hornet above.

Gives me an excuse to post mine, which was my first ever tamiya rc build, way back when (about 6 months ago really)!! This is from when it was newly finished, it does not look like this now!

Resized_20190412_191000.jpeg

Resized_20181107_200512.jpeg

• Like 1