Thommo

Astute Runner

What tyres are those fitted to the blue car when it had flames? They look beefy, I quite fancy some on my holiday buggy :)

They are Tamiya Hybrid Spike Tyres from the Egress fitted to DT02 off road dish wheels. They are a bit of a stretch getting 2 inch tyres on 2.16 inch wheels and the fronts in particular needed foams inside to keep their shape. Holiday Buggy front wheels might be a bit too narrow but the rears will go on OK.

• Like 1

So the front tyres are 4wd tyres? they look good on the 2wd DT02 wheels :)

So are the dish DT02 fronts much wider than the star dish ones? I have both white and yellow star dish, just looking at the smaller spike tyres shown lower down on the star dish alloys as those fronts look pretty wide.

Ahhh just spotted the star dish look like 4wd fronts on a hub conversion?

I know, I have really confused things with that car.

OK so the DT02 front 2WD off road dish wheels are wider than 2WD front star dish wheels but not quite as wide as 4WD front star dish wheels.

Its all about the wheels...

• Like 1

This car has had more face lifts than Joan Rivers but this time I decided to tidy it up with a new body and simplify the running gear and make it more sensible for a vintage runner. Sensible..... but still Awesome !

Kept the Madcap arms and C hubs, Super Astute steering arms, CVA II dampers with CC01 front springs, DT03 turnbuckle set, Futaba servo with Tamiya hi torque servo saver and Super Astute front brace.

170416%2015_zpsn8ky9zi3.jpg

Madcap arms and hubs again, also Madcap arm mounts. CVA II dampers with DF03 hard setting springs rear. Ditched the brushless for a GT Tuned motor and quicrun ESC. Other than the Super Astute battery tray, the rest of the car is standard Astute.

170416%2011_zpsbyfkvsla.jpg

Now running twin set ups. The Super Astute has a hotter 17x2 motor and the Hi-Cap dampers that were previously on this car.

170416%2022_zpsdp6cri6i.jpg

New replica body and decals and kept the black wheels for Astute box art theme. Thanks for checking it out ! :)

170416%202_zpsd3ph7gi5.jpg

• Like 5

This looks like the prefect thread to ask a question.  I'm rebuilding a a super astute, and have gone the Hi cap route for the shocks, because they look so good!   The question is, what parts do I need to mount the top of the shocks?  I

The top mount for Hi-Caps is a steel ball and some rubber and metal bushings.  If you don't have these with your Hi-Caps, you might want to post your own Wanted topic.  Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

Hi-cap.jpg

EgressShockMounts.jpg

Don't quote me too much, but it seemed that I might have found a few of those pieces also found in Dyna Storm parts bags. I was working with the blue Sleeved Dampers a while back and needed the appropriate mounting hardware.

Many thanks guys......I had the dyna Storm brain wave last night, and did a bit of digging on Google to find the parts I needed in Germany.  So they're on their way to me, and I can relax again!  

I always wanted an astute as a kid, having seen one at my local hobby shop, but I never quite saved enough to get it.   Then the tamiyaclub chat room came to my rescue last year, because someone had spotted one going for a low buy it now on flea bay, so a couple of clicks later and my wife was moaning about another car in my collection.  It's taken me a year to start the build.....so now I need to finish it.  I'll get some photos up when done.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

Update for @CKU87

Shame about the old pics....

270120.JPG

Oh thanks, yes this looks brilliant :) Just started to collect the bits for the Egress front dampers! Thats the way I will go. Thank you!

• Like 1

Slowly edging towards being an OG Astute again.  I found the suspension arms and a NIP front stabiliser bar amongst my spares.  Swapped in a Mabuchi 540 also and replaced the wing mount and wing end plates with some new ones also from spares.  Tie rods and all of the 5mm adjusters replaced also back to OG parts. 

IMG_1151 (Large).JPG

IMG_1150 (Large).JPG

• Like 6

Now with Futaba MC330CR and a Mabuchi 540.

IMG_1171 (Large).JPG

• Like 2