kontemax

My Blitzer Beetle thread as promised.

Hi, as promised to the seller I open a thread about my new arrival, the vintage Blitzer Beetle.

This Beetle is arrived from a Canadian member for few dollars (thanks mate). It arrived in a very little box without body and wheels. It started as a Stadium Blitzer but I changed it to Blitzer Beetle. This is the second BB of my collection, both vintage. The other one is NIB. This will be a runner and will be pimped up for the best performance (as Tamiya says).

img24_11022013032827_1.jpg

img24_11022013032827_2.jpg

img24_11022013032827_3.jpg

This probably will be not an off road racer but a tarmac one. As you can see it has low profile street tires (from TR-15T) and low set up. It also came with front turnbuckles and different front C-hubs that allow some height set up on front knuckles. The car is full ball raced.

img24_11022013032827_7.jpg

Unfortunately has many broken parts like one rear hub, both shock towers (a classic especially on rear one) and rear gearbox that has probably been over tightened. Fortunately the chassis is good, not breakages on front end.

img24_11022013032827_5.jpg

img24_11022013032827_6.jpg

My project for this car is rear homemade ball differential, rear CVD shafts, steel suspension shafts all around, rear turnbuckles, better alloy dampers, steering links to eliminate bump steer, hot hot motor, steel pinion gear and maybe a homemade slippery clutch. There will be also a lexan body, the ABS one will be for shelf only.

Stay tuned.

Max

• Like 4

Max i'll be watching this build . I have a hot Blitzer but i'll prob pick up some ideas from you that i have't already done . As mine is awaiting a rebuild this is well timed :lol:

Yes, this car needs a lot of TLC. The job will not be fast as I would like but have few time and few money due my movies that are really expensive to do. Sometimes this thread will pop up with some new modification.

Max

Yes, this should be a great project! Your photos are excellent, and it looks like a great platform to start from...

Cheers,

Skottoman

Thanks Skottoman, will need some money to finish this project.

Another my expensive hobby is mtb that eats all my resources... ;)

Max

Ok, found some money, just ordered some steel pinion gears and a couple of CVD shafts for this baby.

They will arrive in a couple of days I hope, with a NIB yellow Lunchbox.

Max

What CVD's did you go for? I keep getting tempted, but the dogbones seem to be holding up well enough...

There are a lot of brands for the CVD shafts.

You need for the Blitzer some DF-03 shafts.

You can choose Yeah Racing, GPM, 3Racing and Eagle Models.

Also Tamiya DF-03 will fit.

Terra Scorcher ones will fit also, Tamiya gives them as upgrade, but universals are less strong and efficient than CVDs..

Max

Max i have found that all the CVD's seem to fail eventually when using a hot motor . I have a 9t 4370kv brushless set up in my own Bltizer and after trying CVD's i've gone back to using dogbones . The Tamiya thundershot ones fit fine and seem to be stronger then others i have tried . One thing i would say is essential is to use the touring car hardcups otherwise the originals will be scrap after a run or two with a Hot Motor

Great ideas and looks like its going to be a weapon!

I like this chassis, I also regret selling my blitzers.

Here is my old one with a 13 turn touring car motor:

I wouldnt mind another one, but would go 3800kv brushless, 3s, and 2.4ghz, and beach driven only

Watching this thread with interest! :D

• Like 2

I'll try the CVD then will decide if came back to the half shafts. I'll not use so powerfull motors, I suppose a good 14/12 turns will do the job.

I also will use hard diff cups obviously.

Max

The genuine tamiya cvd's are the only ones I have used with success. The others all snapped off behind the wheel nut. The tamiya ones have a fillet there for added strength...

The genuine tamiya cvd's are the only ones I have used with success. The others all snapped off behind the wheel nut. The tamiya ones have a fillet there for added strength...

i've even had the tamiya ones fail mate . IMO dogbones are the answer when going brushless . cvd's are ok for maybe 12t brushed but just dont seem to last well with the instant torque brushless delivers . Before you ask i have tried lowering the punch settings and it made little differance . if i could find some strong and reliable cvds from even another manufacture i would use them but all the ones so far seem to have being made from monkey metal .

If I'll go brushless it will not so powerfull. 9T is too much for a car without slippery clutch imho.

Max

If I'll go brushless it will not so powerfull. 9T is too much for a car without slippery clutch imho.

Max

It is bit of a handful to drive Max but with practice its a heck of a lot of fun . The wide tires and trackwidth make it stable but the spring rates and camber / toe took some trial and error to dial in . In all honesty is most at home on a beach . I fit the sand paddles and front smoothies and let it rip :D

I agree with you, Blitzer Beetle is the perfect beach runner but I'm located very far from the sea.
The first beach is at 200 or more kilometers...

Italia.jpg

Max

On 17/4/2013 at 12:31 PM, bromvw said:

It is bit of a handful to drive Max but with practice its a heck of a lot of fun . The wide tires and trackwidth make it stable but the spring rates and camber / toe took some trial and error to dial in . In all honesty is most at home on a beach . I fit the sand paddles and front smoothies and let it rip :D

Ok, if I'll need I'll ask some help, thanks.

Max

It's gonna be sick Max!!

Let me know if I can help ya out.

Ok, something is arrived from Germany this morning:

BB60_Semiassi_3.jpg

BB61_Semiassi_2.jpg

CVD shafts from GPM, they seems strong enough for my purposes.

BB62_Pignoni_2.jpg

13T and 15T steel pinion gears from Carson, they are excellent.

BB63_Esagoni.jpg

Wheel adapters from GPM again.

BB64_Totale.jpg
Decals and other bits.

BB65_Assi_acciaio.jpg

TL01 hardened steel shafts.

BB66_Ruote_Winger.jpg
Manta Ray wheels for my Winger.

Two of these wheels will be cut and narrowed to fit the Boomerang/Hot Shot front tires. These wheels will fit my Winger.

At the end some aluminum blue anodized rounders, some black 6mm and 5 mm ball connectors for my Egress and last but no least a NIB Vanessa Lunchbox.
Now works will begin.

Max

It will need time to be finished.

There are a lot of particulars to cure to have a good runner.

Now I improved the transmission with steel pinion gears and decent CDV shafts.

Another item I need is the adjustable motor mount to use some different pinion teeth number as 14T or 16T but I'll see this only after the first run test.

Next step are adjustable rear upper links and new steering links to eliminate toe in effect and bump steer.

The new alloy shock absorbers will be another upgrade I want to do.

In the next days probably will start to work on a lexan body. It will have the same graphic of the original body.

Max