alfagta

very cool FAV on youtube

The Chenowth buggy depicted as a Fast Attack Vehicle by TAMIYA must really be one of the cars that I really like in stock box-art or even unpainted. It's so beautiful!

Now the Wild One is a buggy that I don't like in any shape or form.

Anyway, so far the one customized that really rang a bell for me is the FAV that TCer bdamit worked on last year.

Have a look at these:

http://www.tamiyaclu...16875&sid=39963

http://www.tamiyaclu...17376&sid=39963

• Like 1

The Chenowth buggy depicted as a Fast Attack Vehicle by TAMIYA must really be one of the cars that I really like in stock box-art or even unpainted. It's so beautiful!

Anyway, so far the one customized that really rang a bell for me is the FAV that TCer bdamit worked on last year.

Have a look at these:

http://www.tamiyaclu...16875&sid=39963

http://www.tamiyaclu...17376&sid=39963

I really like the look of the wild one but, hey, each to their own , thanks to all for all the links , some stunning builds , I am soooo tempted to grab a wild one and a FAV , must resist though , trying to keep an emergency fund just in case Mr Tamiya decides to give the nod to a blazing blazer re re :rolleyes::lol: , I can dream!

Great thread, I love the FAV. Here's my favourite and inspiration for my own FAV build;

http://www.tamiyaclu...10926&sid=22013

Hi mongoose - The FAV and Wild One are the same chassis and very similar, so what is it about the Wild One you dont like? Perhaps the less than scale looks compared to the FAV?

• Like 1

[...] Hi mongoose - The FAV and Wild One are the same chassis and very similar, so what is it about the Wild One you dont like? Perhaps the less than scale looks compared to the FAV?

The FAV is sort of an old-school RC buggy in the sense that it depicts a real car, a Chenowth buggy. The Wild One was on another level It is actually an old-fashioned chassis with touches of what was going to happen for Tamiya and the rest of the RC car makers. From the Wild One onwards Tamiya started making RC buggies that you'd recognize as "cars" just because they had four wheels and a driver. Buggies could be anything, take any shape or form, and they'd have of course much better running performances. On the other hand, I think what made me a Tamiya fan was the fact that they used to make models "suitable for radiocontrol".

Having said that, I think the first of the turn-offs about the Wild One for me are the wheel/tire combination. The car will still be called "scale" by most RC enthusiasts everywhere, but... well, I hope you get what I mean... :rolleyes:

Of course, it's not that I wouldn't like to have Tamiya's infamous moon buggy (the Avante), but I'd still be more excited over the old and heavy Rough Rider ;):lol:

• Like 1

The FAV is sort of an old-school RC buggy in the sense that it depicts a real car, a Chenowth buggy. The Wild One was on another level It is actually an old-fashioned chassis with touches of what was going to happen for Tamiya and the rest of the RC car makers. From the Wild One onwards Tamiya started making RC buggies that you'd recognize as "cars" just because they had four wheels and a driver. Buggies could be anything, take any shape or form, and they'd have of course much better running performances. On the other hand, I think what made me a Tamiya fan was the fact that they used to make models "suitable for radiocontrol".

Having said that, I think the first of the turn-offs about the Wild One for me are the wheel/tire combination. The car will still be called "scale" by most RC enthusiasts everywhere, but... well, I hope you get what I mean... :rolleyes:

Of course, it's not that I wouldn't like to have Tamiya's infamous moon buggy (the Avante), but I'd still be more excited over the old and heavy Rough Rider ;):lol:

Yes I think so. Ray Lynch, with the exception of his head, looks something of a puppet when compared to the scale detail of Sgt. Bilko in the FAV.

You make some good observations about the WO also, as the design style is a half-way house between scale and non-scale. The style of the wheels and tyres in particular, which are repeated across both 2WD and 4WD cars of the day, i.e. Fox, Hotshot, Boomerang etc.

I like both the FAV and WO and would like to add both to my collection at some point in time, whether they are vintage or rere.

• Like 1

Yes I think so. Ray Lynch, with the exception of his head, looks something of a puppet when compared to the scale detail of Sgt. Bilko in the FAV.

You make some good observations about the WO also, as the design style is a half-way house between scale and non-scale. The style of the wheels and tyres in particular, which are repeated across both 2WD and 4WD cars of the day, i.e. Fox, Hotshot, Boomerang etc.

I like both the FAV and WO and would like to add both to my collection at some point in time, whether they are vintage or rere.

The problem with the Wild One driver is the fact that people don't know how to paint it, and the manual doesn't explain it correctly either. You can blame Tamiya for that.

Unfortunately I don't have a Wild One myself, otherwise I know I'd surprise our fellow TCers with my interpretation on how it should be finished. Have a look at this:

w3_zps7906ddcc.jpg

Also, I have to admit that I never looked at the Fast Attack Vehicle with special interest. And contrary to what you'd believe based on my previous comment, the FAV seemed much like a static kit, too plastic. But when I came across an old beat-up one I started to like it to later completely fall in love with it!, hahahaha. The restoration work was exhausting, but extremely rewarding. Here's the resto thread. Think you'll like it ;)http://www.tamiyaclu...showtopic=57186

Mongoose I did it as you say: http://www.tamiyaclu...d=113857&sid=24

Ciao

Max

That's a very nice Wild One, Max, but you followed the arms painted right down to the bottom. Therefore they look kinda huge. I suggested the arms to be painted following the lines of the top part of the base (have a second look at the pic I posted to see what I mean). ;)

The problem is that the WO driver IS huge! Ahahahahah! ;-)

Anyway I followed the lines that seem more equilibrated with the width of each arm, don't know if I did a good job. Maybe I should make a better job for sure like the matt finish. Don't know why but the matt finish turned out semi gloss.

Max

[...] Don't know why but the matt finish turned out semi gloss.

Max

Well, it's really hard for the paint not to look glossy under the lexan.

Myself, If I had a Wild One I'd paint the base of the driver matt black but on the outside. Maybe that would have the desired matt effect?

That would do it. I remember TC member larbut used that to good effect on his Tornado RM build...

I always believed that the Wild One was the last scale buggy by Tamiya, but after reading the discussion, was it actually the Fast Attack Vehicle?

[...] I always believed that the Wild One was the last scale buggy by Tamiya, but after reading the discussion, was it actually the Fast Attack Vehicle?

If you want to be strict, then the Fast Attack Vehicle is really the last scale buggy ever made by Tamiya. The FAV is pretty much a static model suitable for radio-control.

On the other hand, I personally consider the Wild One as a transitional model, 'cause if you look closely you'll see it is first an RC car rather than a static model. Of course it has some sort of "feeling of scaleness", pretty much like the much later Bear Hawks buggy, but they're RC cars first. Does that makes sense? haha. ;)

Also, I have to admit that I never looked at the Fast Attack Vehicle with special interest. And contrary to what you'd believe based on my previous comment, the FAV seemed much like a static kit, too plastic. But when I came across an old beat-up one I started to like it to later completely fall in love with it!, hahahaha. The restoration work was exhausting, but extremely rewarding. Here's the resto thread. Think you'll like it ;)http://www.tamiyaclu...showtopic=57186

Yes very much Erich, a real ugly duckling transformed into a beautiful swan (well very nice FAV anyway :lol: ), through lots of hard work and plenty of patience; is there any other way to restore a car; I dont think so!

The FAV was my first RC way back in 84/85 and I have very fond memories of it. Next year, or maybe 2015, I plan to do a resto as you have dome but paint it as I did as a kid (colour scheme that is, not skill level which I like to think has improved over the last 30 years :lol: ) As it turns out it was red and black with NO M60; a Wild One wannabe really :o .

I will use your thread for inspiration :)

• Like 1

Thanks Kontemax,

This is my favorite of Scollin's Wild One. It looked even more scale when it had the RR wheels and tires on it (sorry Steve). If anyone remembers, Scollin's bullt this from a complete pile of Junk:

img5414_27072009021615_3.jpg

This is the favorite pic of mine;

img50_11022012041731_1.jpg

James.

• Like 2

what are the 2 holes for on the rollcage on the back? was it for the ceramic resistor?

It was on the original. Now a good place to mount a racing number plate to. Makes some use of them so they don't look out of place and they are covered from the outside.

Really like what you did with the BFG tyres there James. They look very scale.

what are the 2 holes for on the rollcage on the back? was it for the ceramic resistor?

You're right. They're for the resistor.

Thanks Kontemax,

This is the favorite pic of mine;

img50_11022012041731_1.jpg

James.

Did you scratch build the roof lights/hoop? I'd like to get a set like that.

Thanks,

RPM make it. I just built side plates so it could fit to the roll bar without too many mods. RPM lightbar, you should be able to see it on their website.

James.

here's a bit of real life inspiration i found on youtube:

• Like 1