Sign in to follow this  
bowtiehorses

Hornet Hot Rod

post-30517-0-12346900-1361123980_thumb.jAfter thinking about it for some time, I have decided to start reassembling my R/C from high school; a modified Hornet. It has inverted Grasshopper II control arms, with rod ends conecting them to the shock mounts. The upper rear shock mount adapters were removed, and Tamiya lower mounts with no travel were installed. It had a Trinity Nuclear Assault Drag motor. The radio was a Acoms Techniplus with a Frog mechnical speed controller (2 heat sinks). This will be an ongoing project. My next step is to decide what to do about the tires, since they have developed cracks with age. The wheels are BBS style AJ's I think. So far, I have not found replacement foam, so any ideas would be appreciated.
  • Like 1

Dunno about tyres but that looks awwsome! Would never have known it was a hornet lol

That's gonna be sick when ya restore it. Only issue I see is that ugly Chevy body. Maybe go for a good looking body, ya know a Mopar.

:D

I'm just busting his chops. Pretty sure with his screen name, the Chevy is gonna stay

Thanks for the comments. I was born into a "Chevrolet" family, but now I prefer Ford trucks. My oldest son and I are still into 50's-80's 2dr Chevy cars. My wife's pretty mich Chevrolet. But my youngest son is 100% Mopar, and I don't have a clue where that came from, lol :D

Try Bolink for rubber buddy, or, your in the US, so try rc4less.com they should see you right!

Lee

I like it! I've done similar things to a couple of Hoppers and Hornets over the years. Sometimes I think they make better on-road speed cars than they do off-roaders.

For wheels and tires, you won't be able to find that style of rim anymore, sadly. But 1/10 pan car style tires and wheels are still available from RJ Speed (formerly Bolink) and Jaco (Pro-Line's on road division). For a body, Parma and McAllister have some good options, or else Custom Works still makes a 2nd-gen Camaro for dirt oval cars that might work.

Good luck with the restoration!

Thanks for the comments. I was born into a "Chevrolet" family, but now I prefer Ford trucks. My oldest son and I are still into 50's-80's 2dr Chevy cars. My wife's pretty mich Chevrolet. But my youngest son is 100% Mopar, and I don't have a clue where that came from, lol :D

Sounds like your youngest sounds like a very bright young man. :D

I have to admit, a 69 Camaro is just sex on wheels, even to a Mopar man.

Can't wait to see how this resto turns out.

I am digging the 80's Camaro body though. Never seen one before. Very different. Just wanted to bust your chops a bit.

Cheers,

JB

Cool pic Badwagon, is that your Mopar?

My next "hot rod R/C" might be a Charger. I told my youngest I would start on his re-re Frog also, and being a Mopar fan.........but for right now it will probably have a older Mustang body.

th_42_zpse1785818.jpg

th_rcs001_zpsfdefd49b.jpg

Yep, that's my mopar, daily driver / drag car. Baddest Daddy car IMO. it's best ET to date is 11.86 in the 1/4, and should be a low 11 - high 10 car once we swap in the new cam. Here's what's under the hood:

Forged61_001.jpg

There are some sweet mopar bodies out, challys, chargers and even 300. No love for the magnum though.

No mustangs, lol, please no track nats. Give 'em a proper body. Mopar. :)

Im loving seeing these pan car tyres on buggies, really takes me back to makeshift parking lot race days with tracks made of firehose and traffic cones.......happy days!

lee

• Like 1

I bring absolutely nothing to the table, - but that is a very very cool Hornet mod! Thanks for sharing!.