alfagta

cheap easy holiday buggy 2010 cvd mod

hi all,

thought i would post up a mod i discovered to convert the holiday buggy to very high quality cvd drive shafts for peanuts,

what you will need,

ansmann mad rat cvd shafts, get them from ebay for around £6 per pair ,

5x8x3mm bronze bushing or any spacer that will make up 3mm wide,

3racing TT01 /DT02 steel diff outputs ,

c6bc40b9-2c61-4068-9d4c-b574cbe84fa0_zps4dec2933.jpg

the bush or spacers go inboard of the hub bearings,

the work part!

the ansmann shafts have a thicker cross pin at the diff end of the shaft so you will need to file/dremel around 0.3 mm from each side of the 3racing slots to allow the shaft to fit , takes about 1 minute with a dremel but will take a bit longer with a file , keep the grinding as symetrical as possible to keep the shaft rotation concentric.

fb0e6bc7-e71f-4edf-94d4-605f05b1edde_zps2c196563.jpg

all fitted to the hub , and diff output ground out ,

5faa470c-bbfe-437f-8caf-4d18b7d6bb6a_zps94ea6498.jpg

all fitted and super smooth with far greater suspension travel , these ansmann shafts are some of the best i have used , the ones on my Xpro buggies are all still in great shape after hundreds of runs with very fast motor systems and endless driving abuse in filthy muddy condition's and lots of big hard jumps , for £6 a pair they cant be beat , same goes for the 3racing diff outputs , over 6 years of punishment and still perfect , total cost of the mod £10. :) happy Scotsman :lol: , ;)

• Like 4

I don't own one of these but I can tell you that I think it is a great idea! Nice work man!

OSR

thanks OSR for the kind comment, much appreciated .

i can tell you its pure luck ,

something i have noticed with this mod is that the universal joint on the shaft is placed directly above the outer, lower arm, hinge pin and the shaft runs parallel to the lower arm which keeps the diff end of the shaft in the same position in the diff outdrive regardless of suspension compression ,again its pure luck but the end result is a super smooth and ultra tough drive line .

:);)

Great mod. :)

I've read somewhere that DT-02 cups and dogbones will fit a Falcon with shims in the diff outdrives.

Wonder if this set up will work on a Falcon too? :huh:

Great mod. :)

I've read somewhere that DT-02 cups and dogbones will fit a Falcon with shims in the diff outdrives.

Wonder if this set up will work on a Falcon too? :huh:

i have never had a Falcon so cant say for certain but, i have just had look at the falcon manual and the kit shafts look quite short but the plastic holiday buggy shafts were quite short too , i will measure up the pivot to pivot distance of the ansmann shafts and dimensions of the diff outputs when i get a moment to pull it apart and post it here for you , ;)

i have never had a Falcon so cant say for certain but, i have just had look at the falcon manual and the kit shafts look quite short but the plastic holiday buggy shafts were quite short too , i will measure up the pivot to pivot distance of the ansmann shafts and dimensions of the diff outputs when i get a moment to pull it apart and post it here for you , ;)

Fantastic work mate! Much appreciated.

Fingers crossed it will work, as there's many Falcon owners that would be rejoicing at the news. :lol:

Fantastic work mate! Much appreciated.

Fingers crossed it will work, as there's many Falcon owners that would be rejoicing at the news. :lol:

I hope that this is true but the drive cup ends that go into the gear box will need to match for it to work...

OSR

here yah go,

pivot center to center is 68mm ,

IMAG0109_zps863f35ba.jpg

a607fc59-6085-449e-8cd3-039e96e6c6c6_zps566db4ed.jpg

af3374f5-01e3-4e94-a6e9-d36d4753ab7f_zps1a6b79cd.jpg

the hex pin in the stub axle is 2mm at its center from the step before the threaded portion , hope this helps, :);)

• Like 1

Awesome work alfagta! :D

Never expected you to go to that much trouble. Thank you. B)

I'll have to get out to the shed tonight and do some measurements myself - unless OSR beats me to it. :lol:

• Like 2

Falcon,

I just got a shipment in of an RC lot that I need to go through tonight to figure out what I am going to do with it. So have at it. :) You can be the one that tells all of us falcon lovers that this mod for the Holiday Buggy will work for the Falcon. :) You could be making history here tonight my friend! :)

OSR

Well, after some measuring the shafts are too long. :unsure:

Everything else looks like it will fit though.

Thank you so much for your help alfagt, and sorry for the hijack. :ph34r:

It wasn't all in vain, you have given me some ideas and there may be success yet! :D

Hopefully there'll be a Falcon cvd mod thread in a couple of weeks or so.

no worries, hope you find some cvd's, did you take note of how much too long they were?

Hard to say exactly because the stock diff outdrives are larger than the DT-02 versions, but appears to be a good 25mm.

Falcon dogbones are 41mm centre to centre on the pins.

I've ordered a set of DT-02 outdrives, so once they arrive I'll have a better idea.

Reckon something from a 1/10 touring car may fit.

Xray T3 cvds appear to be the right length, but need to get down to my local onroad track and have a look at some and take some measurements.

I have some Kyosho ZX5 cvds, and the axles are a perfect fit into the Falcon arms, but once again the shafts are way too long.

Hard to say exactly because the stock diff outdrives are larger than the DT-02 versions, but appears to be a good 25mm.

Falcon dogbones are 41mm centre to centre on the pins.

I've ordered a set of DT-02 outdrives, so once they arrive I'll have a better idea.

Reckon something from a 1/10 touring car may fit.

Xray T3 cvds appear to be the right length, but need to get down to my local onroad track and have a look at some and take some measurements.

I have some Kyosho ZX5 cvds, and the axles are a perfect fit into the Falcon arms, but once again the shafts are way too long.

ok, so the shafts i used on the HB add an effective 13mm(with bronze bush) to the length of the plastic kit dogbones so as you said once you get the new outdrives you should be able to get something , the T3 shafts at 52mm you mention add 10mm to your stock falcon shaft length , i have had a look around but cant see anything with a 55mm shaft that would be compatible but you may get away with shimming the 3racing outdrive to fit.

good luck and dont forget to do a thread if you get success ;):)

Handy to know the extra length of the cvds compared to the dogbones.

There has to be something that will work, I just have to find it. :lol:

Only a matter of time.

Thanks again alfagt for all your help. :)

• Like 1