Percymon

Modellbau-Seidel

I think he is a bit fed up with al the nice rules the EU and Germany applies on 'free' trading. Returning of electronics and things like that.

And maybe its the same with Banzai other sellers complaining about loss of business?

I ordered some decals last week from Siedel to the UK - arrived via DHL no problem

I e-mailed them to ask if shipping to other countries as Germany is possible. Got this answer:

We are sorry but due to new Legal Provisions in many EU-Countries

we are unable to continue the International Shipping Service.

We recommend buying the items in your Country directly.

Greetings from Germany
    Nico Seidel

I thought the EU was supposed to make it easier to buy something from another country in the EU. Not clear for me why he is the only one doing this. As other German companies have no problems selling and shipping to other countries.

15 hours ago, Cesco said:

I thought the EU was supposed to make it easier to buy something from another country in the EU. Not clear for me why he is the only one doing this. As other German companies have no problems selling to other countries.

I discussed this topic recently with a Japanese who lives in Germany and makes a living of selling Japanese hobby products that aren't at all or otherwise not easily available in Europe/Germany.  He told me that the German Tamiya distributor had forced him to stop importing certain Tamiya items that the German Tamiya distributor doesn't import themselves. We're talking "special interest" products that are of interest to Japanese Tamiya fans and a little group of Tamiya fans outside Japan only. I'm not a lawyer, but have a little basic knowledge about import/export/trade regulations within the EC, so when the Japanese gentleman told me he thinks the distributor wouldn't really win in court if they sued him like they've threatened to do, I think he's right. However, I also agree with him that he's "David against Goliath", so going to court isn't really an option, regardless of how confident he is that he would eventually win. For a small / one-man business, a case like this is simply too exhausting. nerve wrecking and costly before finally winning, so the laws and justice are of little or no importance. "Goliath" wins.

As Seidel isn't the only Tamiya reseller who has put restrictions on their own business lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this was caused by the German distributor. After all, it's not exactly a company famous for high ethics (selling parts that are Tamiya clones and models that are partially Tamiya clones, cannibalizing the Tamiya brand and image by selling inferior hobby products as "Tamiya" / "Tamiya Exclusive" etc.) and as they are meanwhile the country distributor for several other European countries too, it's in their interest to separate markets along country borders, regardless of whether it's legal or not. Within the EC, it's hardly legal, but if you're "Goliath", why care about the law? Either way, I believe Tamiya HQ will eventually decide to drop this company as their distributor in Germany and some other European countries. Not only would Tamiya (Japan) benefit from it. Tamiya enthusiasts within their market would too. I can't wait for it to happen....

''Tis a pity.

I ordered a Bruiser and Mountain Rider for very reasonable money a couple of years back.

My family is planning a trip to Germany so I thought I could put an order in when that time comes but I can't even load his site up now. All I get is a blank page. Anyone else in the UK having this problem?

give it another go, its online, maybe he was doing some server maintainance as its practicly was a Sunday morning.

I've been trying on & off for about 2 weeks now. The address bar stops like it would when a page is completely loaded but there's only a blank page beneath it. Anyone outside of Germany tried Seidel lately? I've a feeling that the site is up but blocked for anyone trying to access it outside of Germany.

It's working fine for me now in the UK, but I have had the issue you're describing. It wouldn't work one evening but was fine the next morning. I think it's transmission / packet loss of some description. Your browser thinks it has a complete page but it's not getting complete data from the server.

Try accessing the site from a different connection (work, friend's house, data rather than Wi-Fi on your phone etc) and see what happens. Also try on a different device on the same network / connection.

No luck on any device even when hard wired. :( I've never had problems accessing his site before so I can't fathom why it's a problem for me now. I'll have to try via another network the next time I'm out & about.

On 28.7.2016 at 1:59 AM, Illogical said:

I'm in Germany - and my company ships parts all over Europe (we sell 1:1 motorsport and tuning parts, mostly Japanese and British brands). I'd be happy to receive your shipment and forward it on to you. 

Hi, is this offer still available. Would need someones help to forward an order from Seidel to Austria. Need some parts and I only find them at the Seidel online shop. :(

Discovered this while reading the news today: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/new-eu-rules-e-commerce

Basically new rules preventing companies from refusing to sell to to other EU countries:

"Geoblocking prevents us from using the internet in one EU Member State and buying from a website based in another. This creates a big problem for consumers: for instance in 2015, up to 63% of websites screened and prevented shoppers in one way or another from buying in a different country."

Theoretically this should mean Seidel legally have to ship EU wide again?

I think Seidel isn't using Geoblocking to stop people from shopping on his site. You can still buy from him if you're somewhere other than Germany but you have to ship to somewhere within Germany. You can't force him to ship where he doesn't want to so, technically, I think he's legally still in the clear.

Yes, you're right. Further investigation leads me to this:

"Online sellers do not need to offer delivery in the customer’s Member State. However the seller must offer the same delivery conditions as the local customers in the Member State to which they offer delivery, including the same picking-up options. The picking-up of goods from the seller can be done by the consumers themselves or by a delivery company of their choice."

On 12/3/2018 at 10:09 PM, Truck Norris said:

Yes, you're right. Further investigation leads me to this:

"Online sellers do not need to offer delivery in the customer’s Member State. However the seller must offer the same delivery conditions as the local customers in the Member State to which they offer delivery, including the same picking-up options. The picking-up of goods from the seller can be done by the consumers themselves or by a delivery company of their choice."

Do you think that means we could use DHL or Fed Ex to collect from Seidel and ship to the U.K.?

I spoke to Nico Siedel online a few days ago after I had trouble with an order I had placed whilst I am in Germany. The site is effectively now Geo-Blocked so if you place an order outside of Germany, or like me on a work laptop that routes through the UK it wont accept the order.

Paypal is no longer accepted and you need to do a bank transfer using IBAN. They will only ship within Germany. In my case Nico raised a Paypal request to pay and shipped to me in Germany. The parts have arrived and all is good.

I am going to ask Nico for a formal statement that I can put on the site ref overseas sales.

Nothing against having a postbox in Germany. Never had any issues. But another thought, if I run a shop nowadays, why shouldn't I send orders inside Europe. I'd like to hear a official statement.

[Threads merged]

Just wondering why they have stopped shipping products to the UK? Did they ever give an explanation? Such a shame as their parts inventory was probably the best I’ve seen in Europe.

5 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

Just wondering why they have stopped shipping products to the UK? Did they ever give an explanation? Such a shame as their parts inventory was probably the best I’ve seen in Europe.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/69397-modellbau-seidel/&tab=comments#comment-486157

Here´s the big story, where the backgrounds are explained...

Stop? When did they ship?

I asked for Croatia last summer, they said firm policy doesn’t allow.

but I am interested in quite some parts they have.

I think it is a crap.

same like on ebay, ONLY UK Buyers.

I know a lot of people do it, but does not make sense to me.

it is like going back to 1880.

• Like 1

Rather a poor excuse if you ask me. UK eBay sellers are too expensive in most cases. Might just fly to Germany and get a suitcase load of parts and make a mini break of it at the same time.

I've been trying to open the website of Modellbau Seidel for several days. Unfortunately without any success. All I see is a white page. I've already deleted the cookies in my browser which also leads to no result. Even the use of different browsers did not help. 

Does anyone else have this problems?

50 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

I've been trying to open the website of Modellbau Seidel for several days. Unfortunately without any success. All I see is a white page. I've already deleted the cookies in my browser which also leads to no result. Even the use of different browsers did not help. 

Does anyone else have this problems?

Yes, I get the same thing. If you use Chrome and HolaVPN (free) then set the VPN country to Germany it works.

• Thanks 1