beefmuffin

lost a thorp diff part (sad face)

hello cruel world. i was rebuilding the gearbox on my monster frog (aka kermit the hulk) and was putting in the monster beetle thorp ball diff i have. well i have no idea how it happened but i managed to lose a part. what's worse, i have no idea what the part is called to try to look for a replacement.

the part in question - great! another piece just fell apart as i'm writing this - fits inside the longer half of the metal parts which reduce the diameter of the opening so as to fit the end of the drive cup (the one that connects to the half shaft/dogbone). the opening currently is hexagonal and it pretty perfectly fits around the outside of a wheel lock nut (7mm?). but the also hexagonal end of the cup is much smaller. the other part that fell apart seems to be a tiny bearing in the middle.

a pic will make this easier to describe:

8523251636_d8668d202f_c.jpg

click the pic to see a bigger pic.

can anyone help??

Unfortunately I can not help you, Ben. I feel for you, pal. I'm sure I'd be devastated in such situation. :(

Anyway, you might want to try in the future the special magnetic work-trays that are available at hobby stores for cheap.

Let's hope some fellow TCer might have extra bits to help you with that differential. ;)

• Like 1

Can you find another pic of one on the net and post a pic of what exactly you are missing? I lost one locking hub for my Tamiya Blazing Blazer in the grass in the backyard and I found it but the heart break was that there is a small pressed in locking disc that sits in the back of the hub. That is the part I lost. I searched high and low in the grass and was not able to find in in the grass. I even took a magnet to the area where I lost it and still couldn't find the missing piece.

I posted to the site and low and behold one of the members chimmed in and told me that he had an extra. I bought it for a reasonable price and it is fixed and all is better.

I guess what I am saying is that it was heart breaking but one of the members came through in the end. I hope that my story gives you hope and someone helps you out too.

Jay

• Like 2

Put and add n the sales & wanted section for a diff end plate and Im sure a member will have one spare somewhere

or get some polymorph as a temp messure

Pete

Hi Ben,

I think the part you mean is the hex bush or bushing....the Dirt Burners part number for this is #4502.

I tried to take a pic of one I have here, but was unable to upload it for some reason...

Try googling that part, you should be able to find a photo online somewhere, maybe one for sale on eBay if you're lucky....hope this helps!

Regards, Dan

Dan - yes that's exactly the part! Lee also helped me out today by pointing me to a diagram of the Thorp Diff. i'll insert that diagram below in case it helps anyone else who stumbles onto this thread.

So Dan - can I buy that part from you? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. I also need to see if I have all the bits that go in the middle to comprise the thrust bearing...

thorp4500inst1.jpg

Ben, that SUCKS bud. I hope you can find one quickly and cheaply (as if Thorpe parts are cheap).

Keep us updated.

You may be in luck. I'm pretty sure I have a spare hex bushing in my Thorp parts bin. Let me take a look when I get home from work today. I'll let you know........

BALD MAN - that would totally SUCK. actually, the extreme opposite. i'd totally trade you something for it. let me know and i'd toss out a few ideas!

Ha! I'll be in touch later this evening. I'm 99.999% sure I have one for you. I was just digging through my Thorp bin the other day and I distinctly remember seeing one hanging out in there.......

Ben

Sounds like Baldman is on the case for you! Would make sense to have his as it sounds like he's local to you...

If it turns out he doesn't have one kicking about, let me know... I'm just not sure if the one I have is needed or not

for finishing a diff here....will check later to make sure!

Good luck, I've seen these things fetching over $100 online, and sometimes $200 with the telescoping driveline....well worth sorting out!

All the best, Dan

Beef: PM me when you see this. I think you're going to be a happy little muffin....... :D

• Like 4

Sounds like some good news!

OSR

YEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!

AWESOME TCers!

Gotta love our Club! :lol: