IBIFTKH

Eight wheels on my wagon (1/10 HEMTT build)

I've been tinkering again. Before Christmas I bought a couple of used TLT's because I quite like the quirky little beasts. Then my strange little brain started having ideas...

DSCF1729

DSCF1731

DSCF1733

DSCF1734

DSCF1735

DSCF1736

DSCF1737

Ok, it's a fairly crude way of doing things but this is my first attempt at a multi-axle build so I wanted something relatively straightforward. It currently stands at just over 1m long and will get slightly longer with bodywork. And even with 8 wheel steering the turning circle is ginormous!

Hope you like it so far, Rob

• Like 1

Well maybe not a lot more... :)

The crane's a bit too on-road for me, nice thought though

• Like 1

Goggle HEMETT Dragon Wagon mate . Sorry i can't post a link but my lap top is acting up

Got it in one! No prize though ;)

Great and twisted minds think alike :lol: What version are you going to do ? Gotta love the Oshkosh . Huge and a real Pig to drive .

I'm planning an Oshkosh M977A4 cargo truck, though it's going to be 'based on' rather than truly scale. I'm probably going to fit some lights and I've got a cheap little MP3 player - mount that somewhere with a couple of external speakers and have some tunes to drive to :)

An Oshkosh M977A4 cargo truck is a new one for me, so I had a look on Google; COOL! B)

I trust this wil be a runner and not a shelfer owing to its size :lol:

Watching with interest...

Some progress, starting to rough out the body

DSCF1743

DSCF1744

Must admit I'm loving the sheer massiveness of this thing!

DSCF1745

Body temporarily mounted

DSCF1741

DSCF1742

DSCF1739

At least it's starting to feel like it's making progress :)

Cheers,
Rob

• Like 3

Rob thats starting to look good already . When i first saw it i thought the wheelbase was off but now you have the cab on it looks spot on .Keep at it fella . Like the addvert says hes so Epic he dont even know it :D

Thanks guys. You're right, the wheelbase is probably a little long and the pairs of wheels should be a little closer. But then, the suspension set up is completely wrong for a scale model too! They're all compromises I can live with. Yes, I know that's a cop-out!

The majority of the cab is built from 2mm styrene (plasticard).

I know exactly what you mean about compromises . My new D90 project on a CC-01 is just that . To be correct it should have a ladder frame but from a cost / performace point of view the CC-01 is my chassis of choice . Always a balance between looks and actually having a useable runner . Anyway once you have it finished only a purist will notice the running gear and if their so anally retentive thats their problem

This is looking like a great build to follow. You decided what you'll have on the back yet?

I know exactly what you mean about compromises . My new D90 project on a CC-01 is just that . To be correct it should have a ladder frame but from a cost / performace point of view the CC-01 is my chassis of choice . Always a balance between looks and actually having a useable runner . Anyway once you have it finished only a purist will notice the running gear and if their so anally retentive thats their problem

I'll be watching your CC01 build, I keep looking at those landie bodies too! Definitely agree with your point of view though, basically we're building these things for ourselves (although it's great to have somewhere like TC to share what you're doing).

Mr C, I'm pretty sure it'll have a cargo bed on the back. Probably without the crane and the bed extended to make up the length. I'm thinking it would be fun to use it to carry a couple of buggies around, then drop the tailgate and hook up a little ramp to drive them down and away :)

I like the idea about there being a couple of buggies on the back. What motors do you have in mind for running?

I've ordered a pair of 55t crawler motors and steel 20t pinions (standard pinion is 24t). I'll see how that works out and tinker as necessary!

I've ordered a pair of 55t crawler motors and steel 20t pinions (standard pinion is 24t). I'll see how that works out and tinker as necessary!

55 T should be about right . I have a pair of 35 t in my 4x4x4 Loads of torque but a little bit too quick for your truck . Looking forward to seeing this off road transporter .

A little update, seems like quite a lot of work but not much to show for it!

DSCF1746

DSCF1750

DSCF1752

The real thing doesn't have a hatch here but I wanted access, the Rx's, LED unit and MP3 player will live here :)

DSCF1755

Cheap MP3 player and speaker

DSCF1757

Thinking a long way ahead, I'm not 100% sure on the paint scheme. I'm leaning towards desert sand like my Clod Hybrid but I'm open to suggestions!

cheers,
Rob

thats a lot of styrene work you've done - to those no familiar with it, it might not look much but those slatted areas take forever, especially with the waiting time for the solvnet to evaporate off. even box secton take time with fillets and bracing.

Great job mate

Pain wise i'd go with a sand base and just add very subtle camo to it with sandy green and beige - often less dramatic camoflague colours are the best, especially ifyou are going to add a bit of weathering and the odd net or two