Sign in to follow this  
BadWagon

Gear comparison please!

Hey fellas,

I'm in dire need of new counter gears for my fox. I think there could be a few models that share the counter gear with the Gox, but are not listed as such because the differential is unique to the Fox.

So I'm hoping that between all the members at TC we can compare a few counter gears and find a gear we can use.

The counter gears which I've come across which look as if they could work are these:

Wild One/FAV

Striker

Hot Shot/Super Shot/Boomerang

I have. Boomerang which I'll be tearing down soon, so I will compare that gear.

If some one could compare or at least measure the others that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

As far as I'm aware, no others fit. The fox gear-set is a one-off.

As far as I'm aware, no others fit. The fox gear-set is a one-off.

Yep, I realize that, but I believe the reason it's listed as unique to the Fox is because of the differential, not the counter gear.

Thorpe and some of the other aftermarket companies reused the same counter gear in other models, I'm trying to figure out which ones.

If ya have any Fox gears laying around please compare the counter to others you have. that would help us out a ton.

If you need some counter gears I will look at my grave yard for you. Let me know.

I have herd that someone fitted a Ball Panaroi diff ( Not correct spelling) from the Hot Shot into the Fox are the other way round.

Will buy a Wild One Gear set soon to compare it too. Or if you buy it I will purchase it off you if you have no use. I can use as a spare set for my W/O

Cheers

M/R

MadRacer,

That sounds like a plan. I've got a busy week ahead of me getting ready for a trip to California for SpringFest (Modern Mopar Event).

When I get back, if we haven't made any progress, I'll scoop up a W/O gearset and lay the calipers on it.

Thanks for the help!

How about the Frog Counter gear? Is it similar? I can tell you that The Falcon counter gear definately does not fit.

OSR

Hey fellas,

I'm in dire need of new counter gears for my fox. I think there could be a few models that share the counter gear with the Gox, but are not listed as such because the differential is unique to the Fox.

So I'm hoping that between all the members at TC we can compare a few counter gears and find a gear we can use.

The counter gears which I've come across which look as if they could work are these:

Wild One/FAV

Striker

Hot Shot/Super Shot/Boomerang

I have. Boomerang which I'll be tearing down soon, so I will compare that gear.

If some one could compare or at least measure the others that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

It would help if you could count the number of teeth on the small and large gears on the fox spur gear. This would enable a basic comparison to see if any are the same basic size.

The gear pitch for the fox will be 0.8module.

Hotshot / boomerang won't fit as there is a bevel gear moulded to the side of the spur gear for the 4wd.

Frog / Brat spur gear might also be worthy of consideration.

If you get really stuck RW racing can make custom gears for a price, I'm sure they could make you a hardened steel one if required.

• Like 1

The counter gear is where I had the problem too. No other counter gear is a direct replacement The frog has a different tooth count or shape or width or something. But I do remember that was the closest looking spur/counter. You can bring up the manuals for every car and count the teeth yourself if you want. That's what I did.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas. We just got dinner-bath-bed completed. I've gotta go clean up the chaos that I call a shop, well at least the workbench and start measuring.

Great advice on RW Racing. At least I have a backup plan.

I opened up the gear box today but didn't measure the counter gear. I got a bit sidetracked by the carnage I found inside....

blowngearsfox002.jpg

I've got some measuring and some research to do...

There has to be a way to bulletproof these gear boxes.

I opened up the gear box today but didn't measure the counter gear. I got a bit sidetracked by the carnage I found inside....

blowngearsfox002.jpg

I've got some measuring and some research to do...

There has to be a way to bulletproof these gear boxes.

That's showing some signs of age and wear :)

Possibly the grease has made the gears brittle over the years ?

That was a NIB Gearset. I do however think that the Red n Tacky grease could have been.. well too tacky and locked the dif... IDK, but it's cera grease next go round.

• Like 1

That was a NIB Gearset. I do however think that the Red n Tacky grease could have been.. well too tacky and locked the dif... IDK, but it's cera grease next go round.

Gears probably aren't rated for more than 300hp anyway ;) What motor / battery combo did this ?

• Like 1

3500kv brushless with a 14t steel pinion.

Hmmm, I must admit I'm not surprised it detonated with that in it. It's a fairly high rpm motor. It may be the centrifugal force just pulled the diff gear apart at a weak point from the high rpm. The Fox diff is not exactly a heavy duty item. Perhaps a thundershot diff might fit with appropriate drive cups. It's the same number of teeth as the hotshot diff gear, but the metal gears are much more heavy duty.

Yes, I think you're right MI. I know of people putting more power to stock gears, but with cerra grease, not red n tacky.

I'm working on getting a Thorpe set up, or a NIB gear set. I have a better gearbox, which arrived late last week which will be used in the rebuild.

Any opinions on overdrive or under drive counter gears with a motor like this?

Yes, I think you're right MI. I know of people putting more power to stock gears, but with cerra grease, not red n tacky.

I'm working on getting a Thorpe set up, or a NIB gear set. I have a better gearbox, which arrived late last week which will be used in the rebuild.

Any opinions on overdrive or under drive counter gears with a motor like this?

Tricky one that. Undergearing will reduce the RPM of the final diff, reducing the centrifugal force, but will increase the torque applied to it. Overgearing will increase the RPM, but reduce the torque. To get the most from the motor, overgearing is the way to go as brushless has much more torque than brushed motors in general. Whether the trans will handle it or not is another question. If you had a beefier final diff gear I would say go for it with upping the gearing, but the fox main diff gear consists mostly of air, the bevel gears are plastic, and not easy to come by. I'd be tempted to use a less powerful motor until you can engineer a more robust solution, possibly with more modern hardware. Has anyone come up with the number of teeth on the circumference of the final diff gear yet ?

Tricky one that. Undergearing will reduce the RPM of the final diff, reducing the centrifugal force, but will increase the torque applied to it. Overgearing will increase the RPM, but reduce the torque. To get the most from the motor, overgearing is the way to go as brushless has much more torque than brushed motors in general. Whether the trans will handle it or not is another question. If you had a beefier final diff gear I would say go for it with upping the gearing, but the fox main diff gear consists mostly of air, the bevel gears are plastic, and not easy to come by. I'd be tempted to use a less powerful motor until you can engineer a more robust solution, possibly with more modern hardware. Has anyone come up with the number of teeth on the circumference of the final diff gear yet ?

I am considering a thorpe set up... Really depends on the final cost.

I'll measure the gears when I get back from SoCal. I'm frantically packing and charging all the gear. I doubt I'll have time tonight.

Thanks for all the help bud.