scalemotorcars

Stripped down low budget SRB Sand Scorcher Build

The goal is to build an old school full race SRB from old parts and up-sourced materials keeping the build cost to an absolute minimum. Lets start......

Below you'll find a new re-re gearbox with stock gears that tips the scales at 7.59 oz and next to it my reworked gearbox complete with suspension, u-joints and torsion bars at only 1.17 oz more.

reworkedgearboxsmall.jpg

Large photo HERE

post-19606-0-78861000-1364177735_thumb.j

Do you have a picture of the disassembled chopped gearbox please?

What's the weight of the gear case only?

Many thanks

Max

Sure but for some reason I cant upload the images. All are optimized jpg with small file size but I keep getting an error message. Ill try again tomorrow.

I suppose you could remove even more weight by drilling/machining away some of the aluminium that surrounds the motor and use the motor itself to seal the enclosed section of the gearbox.

A real stripped down version of the SRB now this should be interesting to see how much weight you can shave off!

OSR

i'll be interested to see just how durable the modified parts are . Those flanges are there for good reason ie strengh, but i could be wrong

Its an old school mod we did back in the 80's. Never had one break on me but maybe I wasn't racing hard enough. Besides this build is more play then race. :D

• Like 1

I finally found a little shop time for the front suspension. The gold anodized aluminum tube is aircraft quality and nearly 2mm larger then stock. The triangular bracing is steel that will be chemically gun blued. Total weight for whats below is 2.14 oz.

Next will be the arms with a larger diameter rod and bearings. Shocks are nearly done and use the same gold anodized tubing but Im not sure Ill keep them yet.

More soon.

sand-scorcher-front-mod-1.jpgsand-scorcher-front-mod-2.jpg

sand-scorcher-front-mod-3.jpgsand-scorcher-front-mod-4.jpg

Quality work . You have excellent engineering skills sir .

These mods are great! i have yet to see anyone ever do this. I hope that you are planning on running this thing? Nice work!

OSR

Those parts are going to break. The pot metal tamiya uses insnt very strong. Rather than reworking the metal, it would be lighter to search out some old RCH and MIP plastic parts

Those parts are going to break. The pot metal tamiya uses insnt very strong. Rather than reworking the metal, it would be lighter to search out some old RCH and MIP plastic parts

Ya good luck with that... Once you find those old parts that are rare vintage hop-up you are really going to want to rub those too! Keep up the good work man I can't wait to see this thing running!

OSR

I fried the caps on my lathe so not much progress. The rear tower and shocks are going for sure. I had some chewed up drive gears so I turned them down into a custom belt drive. Just messing around with rare Scorcher parts, that should tick off a few guys....

Here's some mockup pics.

post-19606-0-76651200-1371881654_thumb.j

post-19606-0-35786100-1371881678_thumb.j

If you want to remove as much material as possible why not remove middle bar in the front?

As the front are screwed onto the chassie you'll not need the middle bar!

Badboy

Sad to say just seen the parts on ebay.

So doesn't look like we'll see this updated. :(

Rich