JWeston

I've been given a....

This may have legs or may not but I thought I'd give it a try. Someone made a great post recently emphasizing the 'club' part of this great site's name.

I reckon we've all had a free favour from a fellow member so why not shout about it on this thread?

No need to mention who gave you said item, to save their blushes, just say what you've been given, gratis, from a fellow member.

Simples.

• Like 1

I've been given a...

Front Shock boot for a vintage Wild Willy.

Desperately needed it and well chuffed. :-)

I've been given a tube of grease, receiver mounting pad and two (miss-matched frequency, oddly, although they both say Band 5) crystals by a member. I only bought a receiver and these fell out of the jiffy envelope today; small beer, perhaps, but I was chuffed at the gesture!

• Like 1

A spare parts TA02 chassis.

A pc Brat shell and decals from the chrome edition.

= project !

• Like 1

I've been given some Big Wig parts , from across the other side of the world .....

That was a big help & thanks again for that . You know who you are .......

• Like 1

I got some small alloy parts for one of my Avante series cars - sent from Aus - F.O.C. :D

• Like 1

I gave all my old nimh's cells to a good friend. He returned the favour with two packs of brick lipo's for my TRF201 Vega

cheers chap B)

• Like 2

I've received a lot of help over the years with my projects etc and I've returned the favour to many other members , good on you guys ;)

• Like 1

Someone on the other side of the pond saw I was restoring a celica gr.b a few years ago on the main site, emailed me and said they had a few old plastic bits in their part bin that they didn't want and thought it all might help me. I offered to pay which was refused, I then offered to pay postage which was again refused (US -UK).

When the parts turned up, not only were there NEW plastic 959 bits that were all very helpful but also included was the rare flashing lights kit NIP! A small gesture maybe from him, but a massive generous gift I thought, one which will always stay with me.

This was not just a kind gesture, it was more than that, it set the tone for me in not just this hobby and what the club is about, it helped me realise kindness can be felt from anywhere, even the internet.

It's not all trolls'n'mods.....!

I would like to add there have been others since & I have done my best to drop an extra or two in the packet when I help out others to carry on from this initial gesture.

Keep it up TC.....

• Like 3

Great topic this one,

As a newbie I have been given answers to mundane questions really quickly and some good sound advice without making me feel like a dumb witt.

And recently on a purchase through the club there was a technical hitch with the postie and the seller dealt with it more than fairly without need or request.

I always like to treat people as they treat me! And I'm looking forward to returning favours and helping others.

This is a really friendly club with genuinely nice people!

• Like 2

man - there are so many folks here who've helped me out. either by giving me a part, or giving me a deal on a part, or even just advice. one of my favorite parts of being a part of this club though is trading with other members. it's really kind of a rare opportunity to effectively barter with people since we all share a common interest and it involves interchangeable and variably rare items. off the top of my head (may be forgetting some) i've done trades with: crash cramer, mincemeat, wilton84, breck, tamiyamandan, baldmanrox, unclepunchy, hndaman1, maybe a few others. i've also gotten some good deals on stuff from: breck, crash cramer, meakz1973, mincemeat, unclepunchy, jsourbeck, tjaard, and again maybe some others. i've also sold stuff to some members (directly or via ebay) and given them (i think) some pretty good deals. so, yeah, it's just awesome! i recommend joining TC to basically everyone...

have to say, though, wilton84 gets special mention for sending me surprise chocolate bars from NZ. :lol::o:blink:^_^-_-;)^_^:D <-- nom nom nom

• Like 2

A lot of support and encouragement in all my scratch builds through the build threads, some tank parts FOC from US-UK. Doesn't sound like much but when you're tearing your hair out over something that has been a few years in the making, the encouragement from the forum is the motivational difference between carrying on with it, or tossing it in the bin.

• Like 2

I've had several members send me parts for nothing over the years. There are some generous people around! Many thanks!

I try and return the favour whenever I can - I begrudge giving paypal a percentage when it's something small... ^_^

• Like 2

I've been given a....

Used FF01 chassis. No wheels or radio but, even so, how cool is that? :)

• Like 1

Someone has just sent me a pinion, not much maybe but he won't even take postage.... that's today....... The spirit lives on in TC!

Thanks again mate, you know who you are!

• Like 2

It all started a few years ago, when one really nice TC member (who unfortunately doesnt come on here anymore), sent me some free 2.5mm countersunk bolts to do the 'oldfrogshot' mod to my blackfoot. I offered to pay and he wouldn't accept money for parts or postage, but said "I've posted stuff f.o.c to quite a few members & all I ask is they do the same for another member in need, when / if they are able."

And thats what I do now, I love to help out other members if i can, its a great feeling.

So cheers Rusty, thanks for the influence :)

Oh, and I still have those bolts... woops...

• Like 2

I've been on the receiving end of some fantastic deals on TC or from TC members on eBay.

One very beefy, yet muffinish member gave me a great deal on some 'hopper parts, and threw in extra goodies, including a full boomerang body in black (which I just think is badass) and cva pistons I desperately needed.

I have a bunch of parts I need toots up for sale. I'm hoping to return the favor to as many TC members as I can.

Thank you TC!

• Like 2

Lots and lots of very helpful friendly advice!

As I've already said to another member every one on here is so much more friendly and helpful than people on 1:1 car forums,always willing to give advice,tips and links rather than just telling you to use the search function which seems to be the standard response on car forums!

• Like 2

Lots and lots of very helpful friendly advice!

As I've already said to another member every one on here is so much more friendly and helpful than people on 1:1 car forums,always willing to give advice,tips and links rather than just telling you to use the search function which seems to be the standard response on car forums!

One forum I've been on for years is lxforums, it's a modern mopar site. It was the first forum I ever joined and it has spoiled me. Most forums aren't warm and fuzzy to new people, but lxf is, and is a huge source of knowledge and info. Everyone helps each other out and for as large as it is (35,000+ members) it's well moderated, and most of the trolls are ousted ASAP by members, not the mods.

TC is a great forum, it has its quirks, but I'm sure those quirky rules are in place because of prior issues.

In summary, I like you guys. :)

• Like 1

My experience is pretty much like what berman commented above.

When I joined TC five years ago a fellow member sent me the Bruiser "sleeper cab" (or whatever you call that white part) just because he read "I was frustrated with the Mountaineer body". He said he wanted no money, just me to help some fellow TCer if it was possible.

Ever since then, I've experienced some of the most amazing -and thoughtful- generosity here. The last five years my budget has been really tight, but somehow I have got help from TCers from many different countries, and I ended up having the cars I dreamed of. If I started a full list of what I've been given it would be endless. Starting from my current membership, which was paid by a fellow TCer, I've been given a vintage Futaba radio in its original box, a Hornet body and spoiler, an almost new vintage Midnight Pumpkin truck, decals, a Subaru Brat body, a box with at least six pair of useable tires, bolts, wheels, MSC, two receivers, one ESC, a 380 motor, shock bits, rod ends, rods, various body parts, and I've even got one member from one side of the world buying one bit from another TCer to be sent to me with a greeting note. Oh, and a couple of years ago another TCer bought a couple of spray paint cans but they were not allowed by the postal service. I've even got some cool KISS stuff, too (can you believe it?), oh and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stories about generous TCers.

Now, I have had the chance to help sometime somebody here by paying something, sending some bit, etcetera, but never as much as I would love to do so, because of my tight budget. If I earned more I would love to pay the membership of some TCers that are gone. You know, we just read nicknames here in TC but we are all people with serious responsibilities and sometimes financial problems, too. I know now of two excellent guys whose memberships are due and they don't return because of the costs. This semester I'm too tight to get them back myself, but if I could I know I would. And one thing I would like to ad to this is that, while I've been given a lot of super nice items, what means the most to me is the honest friendship and the kind word that two or three guys in here have for me every week. Many times a word of encouragement, or just some talking about some restoration has been the highlight of my day. I am thankful for that. And while I understand no names should be posted in here, I know I also have to thank the original poster here, JWeston, another excellent guy and TCer.

You guys are AWESOME. Please keep making this club the beautiful place it is (and this also goes to the guys who run the place).

A good weekend to you all! :)

• Like 4

About 12 years ago when I got my first Tamiya RC car (a TL-01 Subaru Impreza that I still have) a guy who I worked with gave me a load of old RC stuff that he didn't want and assumed was junk. I too assumed it was junk as it looked very old and not as 'modern' as my then new Impreza. How wrong I was, I duly sold (unknowingly) an almost mint Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider and got the shock of my life when they fetched about £500 (in 2001)!!!

I really wish I hadn't sold them now I know what they were but hey, you live and learn don't you!?!?

• Like 1

I've been given a broader perspective on RCs since joining the forum a year and a half ago. I was more into modern Tamiya, custom projects, and other brands when I first joined, but by reading lots of vintage and re-re posts I've come to appreciate those genres as well.

• Like 2

Over the last few days I have been given a great amount of advice, hints and tips which are going to prove invaluable in what I think is quite likely to become my new past time, namely RC. However, I must say that over and above that I am truly very appreciative of the time that you guys have taken out of your days to help me, a first time rc'er and complete novice out.

I am very glad I came across this site and it's associated forum and hopefully some time I in turn will be able to pass it on as you all have done for me.

Thanks all.

:-D

• Like 2

I once impulsively purchased a set of Short Course Red Bull decals on eBay for a project idea. In discussion with the seller, it became apparent the sizing would be wrong for my use, so I offered to eat the cost and purchase another set at the right size. Instead, he ended up custom designing the entire livery for the project at no extra charge - and I discovered he was a member here. Though i haven't seen him around recently, Much appreciated WillyChang

• Like 1