Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

Junkyard Frog

I was going through some boxes of stuff I haven't looked in since we moved last year, and i came across the sad remains of a Frog that I bought for parts to restore a Blackfoot. I ended up not using much of it, because I found another 'Foot for parts, so it just sort of sat there disassembled in a box, missing a few pieces.

I started looking at it, and thought, I wonder if there's enough there to actually build a Frog?

The answer: Yes. More or less.

DSCF0802.JPG

Crunchy diff gears, Blackfoot rear arm carriers and skidplate, hacked-off stump of a CRP front bumper, but it's a Frog. Ta-da.

I wonder how it runs...

• Like 1

Only one way to see. Throw some electrics in it and take it for a spin. :) at least with the re-re stuff there is a ton of cheap parts if you need any. Keep us posted with your build!

OSR

You Bet.

New diff gears are easy. If it's a runner add the re re axle set, Wheels & tires, Body set, Bumper and you are ready to go with a original Frog.

Frog's are awesome to drive with a softer rear end set up.

Cheers

Awesome! I was recently searching through my ORV spares with the same thought, unfortunately I only came up with about 60% of a frog, and got a little extra help from a Chilean TCer, but will probably have to buy the rest :D

Looks fantastic!

Thanks guys. This is going to stay a zero-dollar project for now. I have an Optima on the way, and I have a feeling it's going to be a money pit. Later, this will probably get the full treatment, but not yet.

Thanks guys. This is going to stay a zero-dollar project for now. I have an Optima on the way, and I have a feeling it's going to be a money pit. Later, this will probably get the full treatment, but not yet.

Optima $$$$$

Frog - beg steal and borrow what you can form TC members - parts are so cheap and plentiful a lot of folks will give up the odd spare or two. I just looked at mine and I've not got a lot left (having built a Brat/Frog runner from what i had) but if there's specific things you need then put a list up and we'll see what people will donate. I'm happy to send a few bits n bobs m even paying the postage to the USA - i've had parts from other TC members so only fair to spread the love :wub:

• Like 1

Oh no, please don't send me any parts. That's how this Kyosho Pegasus happened: "Oh, you're restoring an Icarus? I have some parts; I'll send them to you." Very slippery slope... I still have two broken Pegasus/Icarus tubs and empty gearbox casings...

DSCF0803.JPG

Any parts, for any car can be sent to me. Lol. I like boxes of random parts.

How's the frog coming?

• Like 1

Picked up a little something for this build tonight. Stay tuned... :)

I still have to work out some details like body mounts and how to hide the wheelbase discrapancy, but... Frog gasser, anyone?

DSCF0808.JPG

• Like 2

I like gassers too!

002-1.jpg

If you are going to tackle this project you need to get that front end up in the air! Is that actually a Willys body? If you are really going to build one you should start another thread! I will follow it! :)

OSR

• Like 2

Yes, it's a Parma Willys body. This car originally had a trashed Parma '33 Ford body on it when I got it; I think it just wants to be a hot rod. I'm not going to go too crazy with it, I just want it to have the right "feel". I want it to look like the kinds of things we built back in the late '80s, when you bought a body in the style you liked and did whatever you had to do to make it fit. Sort of a period piece.

• Like 1

I have a couple falcons that I am thinking that I might give the gasser treatment to also. I think that what your doing might be pretty cool!

OSR

yeah, as you can see by my avaitar I like gassers as well B)

I was wondering when you have time if you would take pics and tell us about this build!

OSR

I was wondering when you have time if you would take pics and tell us about this build!

OSR

Sure, I did post some info a few months ago I'll try to find the thread, if not I'll toss on some pictures. Jay

I like gassers too!

002-1.jpg

If you are going to tackle this project you need to get that front end up in the air! Is that actually a Willys body? If you are really going to build one you should start another thread! I will follow it! :)

OSR

yeah, as you can see by my avaitar I like gassers as well B)

Wait a minute. Are those gassers your cars??? You guys own them?

If ya do, I sure hope you take them to the track mad run 'em down the 1/4 mile. What do they run? What motor and mods are done to them? More pics, info, etc!!!!

Might need a thread on these so this one doesn't get mucked up with gasser goodness.

• Like 1

Wait a minute. Are those gassers your cars??? You guys own them?

If ya do, I sure hope you take them to the track mad run 'em down the 1/4 mile. What do they run? What motor and mods are done to them? More pics, info, etc!!!!

Might need a thread on these so this one doesn't get mucked up with gasser goodness.

I have owned this car for 10 years. It definately didn't look like this when it started but it is a documented drag car from TN. I will post up some info but I have no idea where I should throw it?

OSR

Start a thread... Maybe a drag racers or gassers thread? God such a sweet ride... You lucky devil.

Ahem... Sorry to disappoint, but I've tried every which way I can think of and there is just no way to hide that nearly 1 inch difference in wheelbase. I forgot that Frogs were so short. So I'm afraid the Willys body will have to go on something else, and the Frog will have to stay "au naturel" for now, at least until another idea strikes.

Fear not, Willys fans... it will re-appear, Maybe high, maybe low, maybe a gasser, maybe a dirt-track car... but it will be back.