mtbkym01

Japan Visit

Heading to Japan later this year and starting to consider what I should try and see. What do you guys recommend as far as shops and/or anything else RC related that I should try and see. Gonna be primarily around the greater Tokyo area. Any links would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

WOW , your a lucky man . How long are you going for ? & how much space are you going to have ....

I'm sure you will need alot of space :P ....

WOW , your a lucky man . How long are you going for ? & how much space are you going to have ....

I'm sure you will need alot of space :P ....

Will be there for 7 days mate, and the priority is a Bruiser, but who knows what else I might find, maybe a trailer for the Aeromax.......or whatever else I see, starting to save already ;)

• Like 1

Don't forget to share some pictures if you go to the museum! Pretty pleeeeease, hahahahahah. :D

• Like 1

I just took the virtual tour of the Tamiya museum! Neat how they have the 1:1 cars that later on became Rc models and statics. I am suprised how they kind of just throw them in the cases without any explanations? It would be good if they did this. It also is interesting how a lot of models are sitting on their wheels and tires? I guess they aren't worried about flat spots?

Definately it would be interesting to see some local hobby shops if you venture into any!

OSR

Perhaps they need a better curator. I know I'd love the job! ;)

No doubt! If you look close the mdels are covered in dust! I am really suprised!

OSR

I am going again in May - might be going to the Shizuoka Hobby Show. In addition to the show Tamiya open up addional areas of the headquarters building and put on some extra displays.

Akihabara is the area in Tokyo to go RC shopping. An online guide to the four main shops is http://agusta.ms.u-t.../akihabara.html

RC Champ website http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/

Super Rajicon website http://www.super-rc....p/rc/index.html

Futaba Sangyo website http://www.f-sangyo.co.jp/

Rakusai website http://www.rakuseimo....jp/onlineshop/

There are some others as well but these are the main four that I go to. There is very little English spoken by the staff in the shops so I arm myself with a list of part numbers.

I also go to the Tamiya Plamodel Factory shop in Shimbashi http://www.tamiya.com/english/info/080819factory/index.htm (There is another one in Yokohama as well).

If you are feeling adventurious you could always head to one of the best track complexes at Yatabe Arena http://www.yatabearena.com/ but that is a couple of hours from Tokyo near Tsukuba.

Hope that this helps.

Phenomenal info guys, cheers. Will send you an email Brad, cheers

You are one lucky guy.

Have fun & bring lots of r/c back. Just like what BJR does & then teases us.

You're not going for the Asian Onroad Championships are you Kym? B)

Stay away from the north and eastern part of Japan. Else you may be stopped by Custom on your return thinking you have a dirty bomb with you. With the yen heading south, you should be able to load up with a few more nib...,which is always good:-)

Stay away from the north and eastern part of Japan. Else you may be stopped by Custom on your return thinking you have a dirty bomb with you. With the yen heading south, you should be able to load up with a few more nib...,which is always good:-)

Yeah, gotta watch those people from Customs! :lol:;)

You're not going for the Asian Onroad Championships are you Kym? B)

Actually heading over there with MMI to the 1/8 onroad worlds for a look

😆😱😎

Nice work. :)

Boss Speed? If its at boss speed you should visit Nakamura model shop,still has nip Tamiya spares dating back to the first 100,No website and no steady hours but 15 minutes from Boss Speed.Also you have to ask for the parts,one of those shops that wonders why you would want old parts.

You do get $900 worth of stuff per person in OZ.

It's not just customs that you have to worry about.

DAFF (Quarantine) will clean off dirty used RC gear. They will use water and lots of it. I know of at least one person that has bought through a dirty short course truck and wasn't happy that water was used. I just told him that he should of looked after his gear properly and cleaned it after his last run :P .

While you are there I am sure that you will find other shops. Get a hold of one of the RC magazines they also have listings for shops and tracks.

This will be an interesting forum post when you get back! I for one would love to see what RC adventures you get into! I am wondering if you should travel with one just incase you happen upon a track or meet some people to run with.

OSR

BJR250 is right on the money.

Personally my 2 must visits are Tamiya's Plamodel factory (super expensive but a must see) and RC Champ, best selection and prices that I know of in Tokyo.

Have fun out there,

James.

Ok, so confirmed purchases for this trip will be:

1. Bruiser Re-Re

2. Nova Fox

And possibles:

1/14 trailer/s of some description

Wild Willy 2

Wild One Re-Re

Super Clodbuster

Euro style 1/14 truck (Man or Scania)

Be careful of the customs man if you're going to bring home a haul like that I would think.

Be careful of the customs man if you're going to bring home a haul like that I would think.

It's all good, most will get (free) freighted, and I'm pretty aware of Australian Customs and Border Protection legislation, in fact it's my job to know it, if you know what I mean ;)